Subject: how does the encryption work?

From: Michael Mannsberger <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 22:48:25 -0500

when i ssh to a host i basically send my public key and some check bytes
-> the remote server forks a child which generates a RSA key which will
be stored in memory -> i receive a encrypted packet including remote
public key and check bytes -> verify the check bytes -> extract remote
public key -> session encypted from now on, is this correct?

my questions:

a) the RSA key generated by the child - how and when is it used?
b) the servers exchange the supported cipher information after the key
exchange right?

thanx,
            -mike

---

From: "Richard E. Silverman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 01:32:30 -0500 (EST)

> public key -> session encypted from now on, is this correct?

First: you didn't say which version of the protocol you're asking about.

Second: no, this is not right.  Your description is very confused; you're
mixing up several different elements of the protocol.

Third: this mailing list is for discussions regarding the standardization
process for SSH-2.  General questions like yours would be better directed
to comp.security.ssh.

Fourth: The entire process is spelled out in detail in the protocol
documents.  I suggest you consult them, and then ask any specific
questions you have.

  SSH-1: http://www.snailbook.com/docs/protocol-1.5.txt

  SSH-2:

    SSH Protocol Architecture
    http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-secsh-architecture-06.txt

    SSH Transport Layer Protocol
    http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-secsh-transport-08.txt

    SSH Authentication Protocol
    http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-secsh-userauth-08.txt

    SSH Connection Protocol
    http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-secsh-connect-08.txt

-- 
  Richard Silverman
  [email-masked]