Subject: User and group information in sftp attributes

From: Damien Miller <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 11:23:22 +1100 (EST)

Currently the filexfer draft encodes user and group info as ints. 
Would it make sense to send the textual user and group as strings 
as well?

This would enable the receiver to maintain ownership where the same
names are present, but the uids and gids differ, a situation which
is pretty common.

Something like:

  uint32   flags
  uint64   size           present only if flag SSH_FILEXFER_ATTR_SIZE
  string   owner          present only if flag SSH_FILEXFER_ATTR_UIDGID
  string   group          present only if flag SSH_FILEXFER_ATTR_UIDGID
  uint32   uid            present only if flag SSH_FILEXFER_ATTR_UIDGID
  uint32   gid            present only if flag SSH_FILEXFER_ATTR_UIDGID

...

-d

-- 
| ``We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on | Damien Miller -
| a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the | <[email-masked]>
| works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, / 
| we know this is not true.'' - Robert Wilensky UCB / http://www.mindrot.org