Subject: filexfer, SSH_FXP_STATUS

From: [email-masked] (Niels M�ller)
Date: 11 Jan 2001 15:24:54 +0100

There's no place to put a human readable error message (like in the
transport and connection protocols). Perhaps that should be added?

It seems a little strange that the spec defines error codes
SSH_FX_NO_CONNECTION SSH_FX_CONNECTION_LOST that never occur on the
wire.

/Niels

---

From: Markus Friedl <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 17:02:08 +0100

the drafts say about SSH_FX_NO_CONNECTION, SSH_FX_CONNECTION_LOST:

	it can only be generated locally by the
	client, and MUST NOT be returned by servers

this is probably an implementation defail of the sftp client
and should not be in the spec. perhaps a range of message
types should be reserved for imlementation use?

-m

---

From: Tatu Ylonen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 23:16:04 +0200 (EET)

> SSH_FX_NO_CONNECTION SSH_FX_CONNECTION_LOST that never occur on the

The motivation for including these is that an implementation will probably
want to have some codes for these internally, and this way we guarantee
that any implementation-specific codes don't conflict with the ones
defined by the protocol.

However, I don't strongly object if there is desire to remove them.  But
if we do that, we might reserve a range of error numbers for use by
implementations (so that they will not be allocated in future protocol
versions).

If a human-readable code is added, I would do that as an extension in
order to remain compatible with the installed base.

    Tatu

---

From: Sami Lehtinen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 01:30:11 +0200

Niels Möller, on January 11. 2001, wrote:
  : There's no place to put a human readable error message (like in the
  : transport and connection protocols). Perhaps that should be added?

How about this:

  byte       SSH_FXP_STATUS
  uint32     id
  uint32     error/status code
  string     error message (ISO-10646 UTF-8)
  string     language tag (as defined in [RFC-1766])

  : It seems a little strange that the spec defines error codes
  : SSH_FX_NO_CONNECTION SSH_FX_CONNECTION_LOST that never occur on the
  : wire.

I thought about this myself, and I agree. Those can be changed to
reserved.

-- 
[[email-masked]          --  Sami J. Lehtinen  --           [email-masked]]
[work:+358 9 85657425][gsm:+358 50 5170 258][http://www.iki.fi/~sjl]
[SSH Communications Security Corp               http://www.ssh.com/]

---

From: [email-masked] (Niels Möller)
Date: 15 Jan 2001 00:50:06 +0100

>   string     language tag (as defined in [RFC-1766])

Looks good to me. Specifying a preferred language can be done by some
internal communication between the ssh server and the sftp subsystem,
or by an extension to the filexfer protocol. So we don't need to say
much about where languages come from in the filexfer document, just as
we don't say much about it in the connection document.

/Niels