Subject: Using SSH

From: Robin Walker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 17:43:41 -0700

Hi, 

I've installed zlib, OpenSSL, and OpenSSH 2.3.0p1.  The installation
instructions were great and the man pages look like execellent reference
material.  However, I'm an uninitiated SSH enthusiast am unclear how to
actually *use* it.

I installed both these packages as root on two machines.  Then I fired
up sshd on the "server" and went to the other machine (client) to try it
out (it seems like installing ssh client is a by-product of installing
the server).  Here's where I'm at:

[root@client]# ssh -v -l root server
SSH Version OpenSSH_2.3.0p1, protocol versions 1.5/2.0.
Compiled with SSL (0x0090600f).
debug: Reading configuration data /usr/local/etc/ssh_config
debug: Seeding random number generator
debug: ssh_connect: getuid 0 geteuid 0 anon 0
debug: Connecting to server [ip address] port 22.
debug: Seeding random number generator
debug: Allocated local port 886.

And then it just hangs.  I also tried ssh'ing to localhost on the
server, and I got this:

[root@server]# ssh localhost
root@localhost's password: (password entered)
Permission denied, please try again.

I'm using i386 RedHat 6.2.

Does anyone have any words of advice?  My main concern is that I don't
understand the high level key generation and key comparison process and
that I may have more installion or configuration steps that have been
totally left out.  Or that there is a configuration problem with somehow
defining hosts that are allowed to connect.  But basically I'm really
unclear at this point.

Thank you,

-Robin