Subject: Newbie question

From: "Vaidya, Maulik" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 04:39:24 -0400

Hello list,

I am not sure if this is the right place to ask the question, but i am gonna
test my luck anyways...

I recently installed ssh v2 on my solaris 2.6 sparc station. Due to the
vulnerabilities posed by telnet/ftp/rsh etc, i disabled all of the above
mentioned protocols and only kept ssh active! But in doing so, caused a
problem for me. I have a network application which uses telnet to
communicate with my server, and upon closing the telnet port, the
application refuses to start anymore!! There is no way in the application
that i can change the settings to switch to some other protocol for
connection! 

So i was thinking that is it possible to route the traffic on port
23(telnet) on my sparc station to port 22(ssh) of the same sparc machine, in
such a way that the user can |telnet| into the machine, but in actuality the
traffic is encrypted because it is re-routed to the ssh port??

Your help is truly appreciated

Regards

Maulik Vaidya