Subject: Re: Last Call: SSH Protocol Architecture to Proposed Standard

From: Bill Sommerfeld <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2002 14:54:38 -0400

So, as I understand it, the 30-49 and 60-79 subranges are specifically
for use by whatever key exchange or auth method gets negotiated.  A
protocol change which would add a new message number would almost
certainly require a new key exchange or authentication exchange
identifier string -- we might just want to codify that, and have the
the registry describe the ranges as as "For use by the negotiated {key
exchange, auth} method" and leave it as that.

This would result in less work for IANA, of course..

				- Bill

---

From: RJ Atkinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 15:34:46 -0400

> This would result in less work for IANA, of course..

It seems generally prudent and polite to make it easy
for IANA to do the correct thing.

Ran
[email-masked]

---

From: Markus Friedl <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 15:45:04 +0200

On Tue, Jul 09, 2002 at 02:54:38PM -0400, Bill Sommerfeld wrote:
> for use by whatever key exchange or auth method gets negotiated.

yes. the meaning depends on the negotiated method.

for example, both 
	diffie-hellman-group1-sha1
and
	diffie-hellman-group-exchange-sha1
use message id 30 and 31.

> A

yes, that makes sense.