Subject: draft-ietf-secsh-assignednumbers-03.txt

From: Darren J Moffat <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 22:15:51 -0700 (PDT)

-- 
Darren J Moffat

---

From: Jacob Nevins <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 16:32:31 +0100

At the risk of reigniting the "des-cbc" discussion...

From attachment draft-ietf-secsh-assignednumbers-03.txt:

| Abstract
|
|       This document defines the initial state of the IANA assigned
|       numbers for the SSH protocol as defined in [SSH-ARCH], [SSH-
|       TRANS], [SSH-CONNECT], [SSH-USERAUTH].  This document does not
|       define any new protocols or any number ranges not already defined
|       in the above referenced documents.

However, this isn't strictly correct, as section 4.1 "Encryption
Algorithm Names" defines "des-cbc", which isn't mentioned in any of
the above references:

| des-cbc     [FIPS-46-3] HISTORIC; See page 4 of [FIPS 46-3]

In effect it appears to define a new algorithm by reference to
[FIPS-46-3].

The simplest solution might be to amend the Abstract of
assignednumbers to add an exception for "des-cbc". However I don't know
if this is considered "bad form" for such an IANA-oriented document.

(derived from
<http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/wishlist/ssh2-des-cbc-is-std.html>)

---

From: Bill Sommerfeld <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 05:08:03 -0400

> if this is considered "bad form" for such an IANA-oriented document.

I wouldn't think so.

but I'd just revise it to:

      This document defines the initial state of the IANA assigned
      numbers for the SSH protocol as defined in [SSH-ARCH], [SSH-
      TRANS], [SSH-CONNECT], [SSH-USERAUTH].  Except for one HISTORIC 
      algorithm generally regarded as obsolete, this document does not
      define any protocols or any number ranges not already defined
      in the above referenced documents.

(add exception, delete "new" because des-cbc use by sshv2
implementations is not new).

If anyone objects, speak up ASAP.

					- Bill