Subject: Re: Certificate authentication

From: [email-masked] (Peter Gutmann)
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 15:01:41 +1300

Bill Sommerfeld <[email-masked]> writes:

>the position of the WG chair is that he'd very much like to find someone
>willing to write a document on the topic.  everyone who has stepped forward
>to do this hasn't delivered yet.
>
>"Please send text."

Two questions:

1. What sort of text do you need here?  Just something to define the format
   for the cert and the signature?  That should be simple enough, however...

2. Does anyone really care about this?  As my previous post indicated,
   interest in this seems pretty much nonexistant, is it worth doing a draft
   that no-one cares about?  To use the tree-in-a-forest analogy, if I send in
   a draft and no-one implements it...

Peter.

---

From: Derek Fawcus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 08:35:12 +0000

>    a draft and no-one implements it...

Well I'm actually for the simple approach at the moment:
   rip all text referring to certificates from the current draft.

DF

---

From: [email-masked] (Niels Möller)
Date: 17 Jan 2004 18:49:15 +0100

>    a draft and no-one implements it...

Personally, I don't care much about x.509, it seems too complex and
broken to ever do any reasonable security with.

I'd like to do spki certificates, but at the moment it's not a high
priority either.

/Niels