Subject: IETF in Seoul.

From: Bill Sommerfeld <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2004 13:00:17 -0500

The next IETF meeting will be in Seoul, South Korea.  

History over the past couple years has shown this working group tends
to have fairly sparse attendance at non-north-american IETF's.

I'll be in Seoul, but before I request a meeting slot I'd like to hear
from active WG participants to get a sense as to whether we'll have
critical mass for any of our work areas..

						- Bill

---

From: [email-masked] (Niels Möller)
Date: 09 Jan 2004 21:41:01 +0100

> to have fairly sparse attendance at non-north-american IETF's.

Hmm, why is the statistics so bad for Europe? There are quite a few
ssh developers living over here, as far as I know. (I've only ever
been to one ietf meeting, in Oslo a few years ago, but it turned out
there was no secsh meeting that time. Oslo is just some five hours by
train from home).

> critical mass for any of our work areas..

I won't be there.

/Niels

---

From: Jon Bright <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2004 22:06:43 +0100

Niels Möller wrote:

>> History over the past couple years has shown this working group
>> tends to have fairly sparse attendance at non-north-american
>> IETF's.
> 

Now that I've started taking a slightly more active part in this WG, I'd
certainly be happy to go to any IETF within reasonable travelling
distance (which for me means within about 1000km of Dortmund, Germany),
*but* it's difficult to justify the $500 outlay for the registration
fee.  Adding intercontinental airfare and hotel costs to that makes it 
even less possible.  A quick estimate shows attending the IETF in Seoul 
would cost 1533EUR before hotel costs, probably 2000EUR including hotel, 
probably 2500EUR by the time incidentals are added.  For (e.g.) Sun, 
this is a drop in the ocean - for us, unless there's some benefit of 
attendance I'm unaware of, the cost/benefit doesn't work out.  I'd guess 
this applies to a lot of people who don't have large corporate 
employers/sponsors.

>> I'll be in Seoul, but before I request a meeting slot I'd like to
>> hear from active WG participants to get a sense as to whether we'll
>> have critical mass for any of our work areas..

I won't be there :-)

-- 
Jon Bright
Silicon Circus Ltd.
http://www.siliconcircus.com

---

From: Jeffrey Hutzelman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2004 11:03:41 -0500

> *but* it's difficult to justify the $500 outlay for the registration

I wouldn't expect that to change anytime soon.  The fee changes depending 
on how much the conference venue costs, but that's only a little on the 
high side.  And remember, the IETF is losing money...

> I won't be there :-)

I will