Subject: Better reference for SHA-1

From: Ben Harris <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 15:10:02 +0000 (GMT)

It's getting a bit late, but I discovered yesterday that there's actually 
an RFC for SHA-1, so the references in [SSH-TRANS] to [FIPS-180-2] can be 
changed to refer to RFC 3174.

Aside: This has the interesting consequence that it gives us KEX 
(diffie-hellman-group14-sha1), host-key (ssh-rsa), MAC (hmac-sha1), and 
cipher (cast128-cbc) algorithms which are specified entirely by RFCs. 
It's a pity they're not all the required ones, really.  No, that's NOT a 
suggestion that the requirements be changed.

-- 
Ben Harris

---

From: Bill Sommerfeld <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 11:37:00 -0600

> changed to refer to RFC 3174.

I'd let the FIPS reference stand as the document is available for
free download from the NIST web site.

The IESG can opt to instruct the rfc editor to fix this but this is not
worth a respin at this stage.

						- Bill