Subject: Editing instructions for core drafts.

From: Bill Sommerfeld <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 15:04:09 -0600

In addition to the changes you've acknowledged on the list and to me,
please make the following changes to the core drafts and re-submit them.

1) Based on the tentative resolution to the trademark reference question
in the IPR working group, insert in each of the five core drafts a new
section, "Trademark Notice", after "Author's Addresses" and before "Intellectual Property Statement" containing the text:

"ssh" is a registered trademark in the United States and/or other countries.

The above notice is equivalent to the original notice that was deleted in
2001, with the name of the trademark registrant deleted.

This is my interpretation of a reasonable intersection between the
IPR-WG's in-the-room consensus that mentioning the identity of a trademark
holder in an IETF draft was inapropriate, and the provision in RFC3667
requiring the IETF to preserve trademark notices provided by contributors.

The IESG should issue instructions to the RFC editor in the event the
above notice needs to be moved or changed.

2) Restore Tatu Ylonen as a listed author for the four original drafts.
Restore Sami Lehtinen as a listed author for -assignednumbers.

3) In the -transport draft, fix the issue mentioned this morning by
Ben Harris:

	Insert into the "Summary of Message Numbers" 

	SSH_MSG_KEXDH_INIT      30
	SSH_MSG_KEXDH_REPLY     31

When these drafts re-issue, I'll inform Russ & Sam that we've resolved
all known issues and the documents should be put on the IESG agenda.

						- Bill

---

From: Ben Harris <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 14:54:32 +0000

>"ssh" is a registered trademark in the United States and/or other countries.

"RC4" is also a registered trademark in the US (registration number
1911168), which was mentioned in earlier drafts.  Is it worth mentioning it
there?

-- 
Ben Harris

---

From: Bill Sommerfeld <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 10:59:18 -0600

On Fri, 2005-03-11 at 08:54, Ben Harris wrote:
> I

Not under my understanding of (a) the IETF IPR policy with respect to
trademark notices, or (b) current trademark law.

I am not a lawyer, but, in the process of un-jamming this document, I've
learned far more than I ever wanted to know about trademarks.

Items #1 and #2 of the editing instructions are tied together.

There was a long discussion of this in the IPR-WG archives.  

The author of 3667 has asserted that the text in rfc3667 that appears to
require that authors identify all known 3rd-party trademarks does not 
actually require that.

That said, trademark registrants undermine their own trademarks by not
mentioning the registration status in the documents they originate that use
the mark.  As I understand it, the legally required notice does not require
identifying the holder of the mark, just a registration authority.

						- Bill