Subject: [Sidr] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-sidr-roa-format-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 13:15:02 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Secure Inter-Domain Routing Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: A Profile for Route Origin Authorizations (ROAs)
	Author(s)	: S. Kent, et al.
	Filename	: draft-ietf-sidr-roa-format-01.txt
	Pages		: 12
	Date		: 2007-7-10
	
This document defines a standard profile for Route Origin 
   Authorizations (ROAs).  A ROA is a digitally signed object that 
   provides a means of verifying that an IP address block holder has 
   authorized an Autonomous System (AS) to originate routes to that 
   one or more prefixes within the address block.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sidr-roa-format-01.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message. 
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then 
"get draft-ietf-sidr-roa-format-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sidr-roa-format-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
Sidr mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sidr

---

From: Robert Loomans <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 12:57:00 +1000

In section 3 "ROA Validation":

> 4. Verify that the EE certificate has an IP Address Delegation 
>       extension [RFC3779] and that the IP address prefix(es) in that 
>       extension exactly matches the IP address prefix(es) in the ROA. 

I assume this does not require that the encoding match.

If it did, it would conflict with RFC3779 which requires the minimal
encoding.

eg, A ROA could have two prefixes, say 11.0.0.0/8 and 12.0.0.0/8,
encoded as two IPAddress fields, whereas RFC3779 would dictate that they
would be encoded as a range 11.0.0.0-12.255.255.255.

Rob

-- 
Robert Loomans                                 Email:  [email-masked]
Senior Programmer/Analyst, APNIC               Phone:    +61 7 3858 3100
http://www.apnic.net                             Fax:    +61 7 3858 3199
_______________________________________________
Sidr mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sidr

---

From: Stephen Kent <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 09:55:19 -0400

At 12:57 PM +1000 7/11/07, Robert Loomans wrote:
>Content-Type: multipart/signed; protocol="application/x-pkcs7-signature";
>	micalg=sha1; boundary="------------ms010509040306000501070000"
>

Rob,

You are correct; the term "exactly" is a bit misleading here. The 
3779 encoding is different because it is mandated to be minimal. We 
should add text to clarify that point, and maybe we should include 
your example to illustrate what one must do to effect the comparison.

There is also a divergence from 3779 because 3779 accommodates 
ranges, whereas ROAs accommodate only prefixes, since BGP deals with 
prefixes but not ranges.

Steve