Subject: [sidr] rpki-rtr protocol maximum message length

From: "Forhad Ahmed (foahmed)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 17:40:18 -0700

Most of the messages in the protocol are nice and small messages, but
the error-report message can be of arbitrary size since it can have
trailing diagnostic text...

Can we specify a maximum value for length of this message?  A cache
implementation can send a huge amount of diagnostic text in an
error-report message and have it still be  a valid message for the
router to parse...  It should be capped at a few K.

-Forhad

---

From: Robert Raszuk <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2011 12:24:13 +0200

Hi Forhad,

I think defining max length of maybe not error-report itself, but 
actually max of "Length of Error Text" field would be nice to size the 
space for this in the implementation. Good catch.

--

And while we are here ..  is this a copy and paste error that section 
5.6 in IPv6 prefix PDU definition allows only 0..32 min prefix length 
for IPv6 prefix ? Can't I specify 64 as min length prefix for example ?

Thx,
R.

> trailing diagnostic text…
>
> error-report message and have it still be a valid message for the router
> to parse… It should be capped at a few K.
>
> -Forhad
>
> _______________________________________________
> sidr mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sidr

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 01 May 2011 08:14:53 +0200

> router to parse...  It should be capped at a few K.

the longest non-error pdu is pdu 6, the ipv6 pdu.  this limits the max
size error pdu to a fairly small size.

randy