Subject: [sidr] RPSTIR 0.6

From: Andrew Chi <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2013 17:19:45 -0500

We've released a new version of the BBN RPKI validator (RPSTIR 0.6) that 
should be easier to install and use.  I've included release notes for 
both v0.5 and v0.6 in this email.  Also, if someone has created a list 
for RPKI repository operations as Eric Osterweil asked on 2/3, we would 
certainly be interested in joining/contributing.

Feedback is most welcome!
-Andrew

--------------

Download: https://sourceforge.net/projects/rpstir/
Contact: [email-masked]

Subscribe to new release announcements by sending a blank email to
[email-masked].  You will need to reply to the
confirmation challenge via email, as currently, the confirmation link
is inaccessible.

RPSTIR 0.6 Release Notes

Release 0.6 of the Relying Party Security Technology for Internet
Routing (RPSTIR) represents significant improvements in several areas,
ranging from user interface to internal code organization.

1. Simplified user interface:

    a. Operation is simplified to four user-facing commands:
       rpstir-initialize, rpstir-synchronize, rpstir-rpki-rtr-update,
       and rpstir-results.

    b. Configuration parameters are now consolidated into a single
       config file.

    c. Logging is now standardized to syslog.

2. The build/installation procedure is faster and makes full use of
    Autotools.  It now aligns with the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard
    (FHS), so that binaries install by default into /usr/local/bin,
    configuration files into /usr/local/etc/rpstir/, the local cache of
    the RPKI into /usr/local/var/cache/rpstir/, and so on.  The
    installation instructions have been improved based on user
    experience.  For Ubuntu, the line-by-line installation walkthrough
    has been updated to reflect the new installation targets.

3. The code base has undergone significant reorganization; related
    code has been de-duplicated and pulled into appropriate helper
    libraries.  Self-testing is now stricter when the valgrind
    memory-checking tool is available.

4. This release includes several improvements and bug fixes for memory
    leaks, database retrieval errors, and out-of-order insertion of
    RPKI objects (a bug detected at IETF 85).  The code for retrieving
    trust anchors now implements a limited retry to be more robust when
    there are connectivity issues.  RPSTIR has been updated to work
    with Cryptlib 3.4.2.

RPSTIR 0.5 Release Notes

Release 0.5 of the Relying Party Security Technology for Internet
Routing (RPSTIR) was a bug fix and optimization release, and included
the following changes.

1. Optimized the fetching algorithm to reduce the number of rsync
    sessions to RPKI repositories.

2. Fixed compatibility issues when fetching from older rsync servers.

3. Fixed support for long (20-octet) serial numbers.  Credit to ARIN
    for reporting the bug.

4. Ensured that RPSTIR instances are cleaned up and do not interfere
    with future instances.

5. Added a mechanism to notify the user via log when a new version of
    RPSTIR is available.

6. Added a line-by-line installation walkthrough for Ubuntu.