Subject: [sidr] Some test results of ROA issuing for sharing

From: "Yu Fu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2015 09:21:26 +0800

Hi all,

We have done some tests for the ROA issuing based on the software of
RPKI.NET in our lab. We'd like to share our test results in the mailing list
for discussion.

The tests are grouped into three cases:

1)       Issue the ROAs for different ASNs in the same file for the same IP
Prefix:

e.g. AS1->IP Prefix1

   AS2->IP Prefix1

The test results show that it can issue different ROAs for different ASNs in
the same file. It will create ROAs separately based on the different AS
numbers for the same IP Prefix. There is no problem for this case.

2)       Reissue the ROAs for the same ASN repeatedly

e.g. We have issued ROA1 for AS1-> IP Prefix1 five minutes ago

   We are issuing ROA2 for AS1->IP Prefix2 now

The test results show that ROA2 will overwrite the original ROA1 unless
reissue the ROA1 again companied with ROA2 at the same time.

3)       Issue different ROAs for the same AS in a file

e.g. AS1->IP Prefix1

   AS1->IP Prefix2

The test results show that it will merge these two ROAS into one ROA for
issuing. There is no problem for this case.

As the second case is a problem for the ROA issuing, we think it is a bug
for the software of the RPKI.net or improve the RPKI protocol to avoid this
problem.

Opinions? Comments are welcome.

Cheers

Yu

-------------------------------------------

Yu Fu

[email-masked]

---

From: Rob Austein <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2015 17:10:36 -0400

At Wed, 23 Sep 2015 09:21:26 +0800, Yu Fu wrote:
...
> reissue the ROA1 again companied with ROA2 at the same time.
...
> for the software of the RPKI.net or improve the RPKI protocol to avoid this

For those who only saw this message and not see the follow-up on the
[email-masked] mailing list: my current understanding is that this is
not a protocol issue.