Subject: [Sidrops] Éric Vyncke's No Objection on draft-ietf-sidrops-rpki-has-no-identity-06: (with COMMENT)

From: Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 08:24:42 -0700

Éric Vyncke has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-sidrops-rpki-has-no-identity-06: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/about/groups/iesg/statements/handling-ballot-positions/ 
for more information about how to handle DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-sidrops-rpki-has-no-identity/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for the work done in this much needed document.

Thanks to Chris Morrow for the shepherd's write-up even if a justification for
the intended status would have been welcome (esp on this one).

Please find below some minor comments:

Abstract: you may want to rephrase "This document attempts to put that notion
to rest." as it is not really clear to non-English speakers.

Section 1: suggest to introduce the acronym "BB&S" at first use.

Section 2: should the claim "as X.400 learned" be explained or a reference be
added ?

Hope this helps

-éric

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 13:42:02 -0400

éric

> Section 2: should the claim "as X.400 learned" be explained or a reference be

The most recent version dropped that part of the sentence based on comments from other ADs.

Russ

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 13:54:04 -0700

>> Section 2: should the claim "as X.400 learned" be explained or a
>> reference be added ?

the -06 published yesterday has that and other changes

randy

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 14:01:42 -0700

eric,

thanks for the effort of reviewing

> to rest." as it is not really clear to non-English speakers.

This document attempts to make clear that notion is incorrect.

> Section 1: suggest to introduce the acronym "BB&S" at first use.

sure

> Section 2: should the claim "as X.400 learned" be explained or a

had already been done

randy

---

From: "Eric Vyncke (evyncke)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 06:00:32 +0000

Randy and Russ,

>    thanks for the effort of reviewing

Thanks for replying ;-) 

>    This document attempts to make clear that notion is incorrect.

True that the document is clear on the topic, but the abstract is not for non-English speaker. May I suggest "This document attempts to clarify that RPKI must not be associated to the holder." ? Or even, as it is standard track (an explanation for this status would still be welcome) rather than "attempts" use stronger "recommends" or even "specifies" ?

>    had already been done

Where ? Russ also hinted that it has been added at one AD's request, but I am sure that this AD wanted more than "as X.400 learned" :-)

As you know, all my COMMENTs are non-blocking

Regards

-éric

---

From: Randy Bush <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2022 10:46:12 -0700

> True that the document is clear on the topic, but the abstract is not
> for non-English speaker. May I suggest "This document attempts to
> clarify that RPKI must not be associated to the holder." ? Or even, as
> it is standard track (an explanation for this status would still be
> welcome) rather than "attempts" use stronger "recommends" or even
> "specifies" ?

This document specifies that RPKI does not associate to the INR holder.

except 'associate' is not a great term.  russ may have goof phrasing.

> Where ? Russ also hinted that it has been added at one AD's request,
> but I am sure that this AD wanted more than "as X.400 learned" :-)

sigh.  you are right.  i thought i removed this in -06 and had not.
i have whacked it again.  thanks.

randy