Subject: Re: Sieve Internationalization

From: "Matthew Wall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 May 1997 18:42:02 -0500

--On Wed, Apr 30, 1997 9:54 AM -0700 "Chris Newman"
<[email-masked]> wrote: 

> You're going to hate me for this, but IETF standards have to deal with
> this issue.
> 
> Suggestions:
> 
> (1) Sieve scripts use UTF-8 [RFC-2044].  This may require some text for
> message bodies (either all Sieve messages are US-ASCII/UTF-8 or
> non-UTF-8 Sieve messages have to be quoted-printable or base64 encoded).
> 
> (2) Use the concept of "comparators" (formerly ordering functions) from
> ACAP (can even use ACAP's registry).
> 
> Define match-keyword as:
> 
> match-keyword = ("contains" / "matches" / "is") ["-" comparator]
> 
> I'd be tempted to make the default comparator be "en-nocase" for reasons
> I've previously stated, although I'd live with "octet" as the default.
> 
> Note that ACAP's registry will require comparator registrations to state
> if they're suitable for substring matching (some comparators would only
> work with "is").
> 
> Finally, comparators would have extension names of "comparator-<name>".
> 
> (3) Require Sieve implementations to map MIME header encodings to utf-8.
> This is probably the only way to reasonably do international searching.
> Tim, you should be able to use code from the Cyrus IMAP server for this.
> 
> (4) Language tagging probably isn't necessary in Sieve itself since it
> doesn't display strings.  Probably need a way to include a
> "Content-Language" header in reply messages, however.
> 

Speaking of which, has Harald caught up with this stuff yet as promised?

- mw

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthew Wall                       mailto:[email-masked]
Cyrusoft International, Inc.       http://www.cyrusoft.com
Voice: +1 412 605 0499             Fax: +1 412 605 0705
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
     Proud Purveyors of the Mulberry IMAP Email Client
          "Internet Mail from the Ground Up" (tm)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------