Subject: Last call for comments, Sieve white paper

From: Matthew Wall <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 20:29:21 -0500

Well, there's been a stunning lack of comments on the Sieve white paper

http://www.cyrusoft.com/sieve/sievewhitepaper.pdf

in draft form, so I'm inclined to go ahead and release this to the world at 
large as is.

My primary concern was that I correctly encapsulated the aspects that were 
discussed in detail on this list at various times, specifically the 'Sieve 
Language Concepts' (p. 12) and the complete discussion/description of Sieve 
itself (p. 8-13) and to a lesser degree the 'models for application' (which 
is brainstorming) on pp. 14-19). Clearly, the spec is the definitive guide, 
but the idea was to get a medium-ground description of the intent behind 
some of the design choices.

So, if you want to provide last minute comments, skip the first 7 pages, 
which is the manifesto part on why delivery is a distinct event and why 
standardized filtering is needed, etc., and just read the second half.

In any event, I'm going to link it live off the web pages for now, pending 
a future revision.

- matt

Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 20:29:21 -0500
From: Matthew Wall <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Last call for comments, Sieve white paper
Sender: [email-masked]

Well, there's been a stunning lack of comments on the Sieve white paper

http://www.cyrusoft.com/sieve/sievewhitepaper.pdf

in draft form, so I'm inclined to go ahead and release this to the world at 
large as is.

My primary concern was that I correctly encapsulated the aspects that were 
discussed in detail on this list at various times, specifically the 'Sieve 
Language Concepts' (p. 12) and the complete discussion/description of Sieve 
itself (p. 8-13) and to a lesser degree the 'models for application' (which 
is brainstorming) on pp. 14-19). Clearly, the spec is the definitive guide, 
but the idea was to get a medium-ground description of the intent behind 
some of the design choices.

So, if you want to provide last minute comments, skip the first 7 pages, 
which is the manifesto part on why delivery is a distinct event and why 
standardized filtering is needed, etc., and just read the second half.

In any event, I'm going to link it live off the web pages for now, pending 
a future revision.

- matt