Subject: Re: notes on the managesieve protocol

From: Simon Josefsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2001 23:29:26 +0200

<[email-masked]> writes:

> Sorry for the delay replying to this.

Likewise. :-)  (Maybe I did answer this earlier, but I'm not sure...)

>>Notes on the managesieve protocol:
>>
>>* add BYE <reason> to login message "OK"
> 
> Do you mean so the server can drop connections after failed logins such as:
> 
> BYE "Too many failed login attempts"
> <connection closed>
> 
> I'd agree with this. Should the server be allowed to give this
> response to other commands? I see no reason why not.

Right.  I see that you've made that change, thanks!

>>* support anonymous sasl mode for syntax verification only
> 
> I like this idea. It'll be in the next revision.

This too, thanks!

>>* just a thought: managesieve is not specific to sieve, perhaps it
>>  could be extended into allowing any language.  if the management
>>  protocol for mail splitting is language-independent we can replace
>>  sieve and keep the toolbase, when we discover that we want a turing
>>  complete language.
> 
> This main goal of managesieve was to make something that was easy to
> implement so people could use sieve now. ACAP/LDAP provide more
> general solutions that, in the long run, TuringSieve scripts (or
> whatever) could be stored on.

Ok.  Personally I don't think ACAP/LDAP are suitable for handling
uploading of Sieve scripts.  I mean, I don't want a Sieve parser in my
ACAP/LDAP server, which would be required to provide the user with
useful syntactical error messages on the sieve script.  I would be
happy with ManageSieve being the "recommended" approach.

To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: notes on the managesieve protocol
From: Simon Josefsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2001 23:29:26 +0200
Lines: 42
Sender: [email-masked]

<[email-masked]> writes:

> Sorry for the delay replying to this.

Likewise. :-)  (Maybe I did answer this earlier, but I'm not sure...)

>>Notes on the managesieve protocol:
>>
>>* add BYE <reason> to login message "OK"
> 
> Do you mean so the server can drop connections after failed logins such as:
> 
> BYE "Too many failed login attempts"
> <connection closed>
> 
> I'd agree with this. Should the server be allowed to give this
> response to other commands? I see no reason why not.

Right.  I see that you've made that change, thanks!

>>* support anonymous sasl mode for syntax verification only
> 
> I like this idea. It'll be in the next revision.

This too, thanks!

>>* just a thought: managesieve is not specific to sieve, perhaps it
>>  could be extended into allowing any language.  if the management
>>  protocol for mail splitting is language-independent we can replace
>>  sieve and keep the toolbase, when we discover that we want a turing
>>  complete language.
> 
> This main goal of managesieve was to make something that was easy to
> implement so people could use sieve now. ACAP/LDAP provide more
> general solutions that, in the long run, TuringSieve scripts (or
> whatever) could be stored on.

Ok.  Personally I don't think ACAP/LDAP are suitable for handling
uploading of Sieve scripts.  I mean, I don't want a Sieve parser in my
ACAP/LDAP server, which would be required to provide the user with
useful syntactical error messages on the sieve script.  I would be
happy with ManageSieve being the "recommended" approach.