Subject: sieve filter file size limitations

From: patrick conlin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2002 11:58:26 -0400

Hello all,

I am wondering if there are any filter file size limitations inherent in the
sieve spec. I am using sieve to create channel-level junk mail filters for
the company's mail server, and have lately run into a problem. If I add any
more entries to the file, all mail delivery fails, and I get messages from
the postmaster about "Status: 5.0.0 (Mailbox filter evaluation error)." I'm
running the iplanet messaging server 5.1

I have attached a copy of the filter file for your perusal.

Any help would be appreciated. If this is out of scope for this list, I
apologize.

-=p=-

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2002 09:10:23 -0700 (PDT)

> running the iplanet messaging server 5.1

You really shouldn't be asking questions about a particular company's
implementation of sieve here. This list is for discussion of the sieve
language. I would suggest that you take this conversation to the
[email-masked] list, which is a general discussion list for iMS.

Be that as it may, the sieve specification is quite clear about this: While it
does not impose any limits of its own, the specification says that
Implementations are free to impose limits on the size of certain constructs. So
this is not a violation of the sieve specification. 

				Ned