Subject: variables: open issue b) fileinto :create

From: Kjetil Torgrim Homme <[email-masked]>
Date: 02 May 2003 01:39:34 +0200

b) this extension is particularily useful if fileinto creates new
     folders on demand.  [SIEVE] doesn't prohibit this, and currently
     some implementations will create new folders automatically,
     others won't.

Jutta said she might write up a draft on this.  I'm thinking it could
fit into her copy extension, IMHO it is good to reduce the number of
extensions when possible.  the only downside to it I can see is that
the extension name ("copy") doesn't fit very well :-)

-- 
Kjetil T.

---

From: Jutta Degener <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 05:12:16 -0700

> the extension name ("copy") doesn't fit very well :-)

I think it's a better fit in your "variables" extension than
in copy; it has nothing to do with the functionality of :copy
(retaining the implicit "keep").

Jutta

---

From: Kjetil Torgrim Homme <[email-masked]>
Date: 02 May 2003 21:33:14 +0200

[Jutta Degener]:
>
>   [Kjetil Torgrim Homme]:
>   > Jutta said she might write up a draft on this.  I'm thinking it
>   > could fit into her copy extension, IMHO it is good to reduce the
>   > number of extensions when possible.  the only downside to it I
>   > can see is that the extension name ("copy") doesn't fit very
>   > well :-)
>   
>   I think it's a better fit in your "variables" extension than in
>   copy; it has nothing to do with the functionality of :copy

ah, but your "copy" changes the behaviour of "fileinto", and the
impact on an implementation of explicitly stating how to handle "new
folder" is very small...

it certainly does not fit into the "variables" extension :-).  it
could fit into the draft, as a separate extension, but the connection
between the two extensions would be flimsy.

I don't know how we will go forward with this eventually.  a lot of
drafts have been written, and quite a few of them should become
official extensions to Sieve, IMHO.  will there be an RFC for each?
is, say, a dozen RFCs for a dozen extensions unproblematic for IESG?

-- 
Kjetil T.