Subject: Question on separators in localpart

From: "Rolf E. Sonneveld" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 15:35:27 +0200

Hi,

some time ago a discussion took place on this list about 'detail
separators'. I can't recall the details of the discussion. But on the
subject of 'detail separators' I have a question.

For a new to-be-created e-mail address naming convention, user addresses
will get the notation [email-masked]. AFAIK this is in general
use at many organizations worldwide.

For functional mailboxes there are multiple choices. My question is: is
it better to use (e.g.):

[email-masked] (dot in localpart)

[email-masked] (hyphen in localpart)

[email-masked] (underscore in localpart)

I believe the 'underscore' will possibly cause other problems (e.g. when
gatewayed into the X.400 world), so the question is mainly whether the
use of either format 1 (dot) or format 2 (hyphen) will cause any
possible problems for SIEVE scripts?

Regards,

/rolf

---

From: Arnt Gulbrandsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 10:35:13 +0200

Rolf E. Sonneveld writes:
> I believe the 'underscore' will possibly cause other problems (e.g. 
> when gatewayed into the X.400 world), so the question is mainly 
> whether the use of either format 1 (dot) or format 2 (hyphen) will 
> cause any possible problems for SIEVE scripts?

No.

Btw, the underscore may cause some problems when e-mail addresses are 
read over the phone. People are less used to underscores in email 
addresses than to hyphens or dots.

Arnt