Subject: Re: State of notify draft...

From: Rob Siemborski <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 16:14:57 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004, Rob Mueller wrote:

> So it seems we have an original draft, comments  about problems, and even 
> agreement by the original author, but no followup as yet :(

I'll note that MANAGESIEVE is in much the same state.

I guess this is a disadvanteage of proceeding without an official Working 
Group...

-Rob

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Rob Siemborski | Andrew Systems Group * Research Systems Programmer
PGP:0x5CE32FCC | Cyert Hall 207 * [email-masked] * 412.268.7456
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK----
Version: 3.12
GCS/IT/CM/PA d- s+: a-- C++++$ ULS++++$ P+++$ L+++ E W+ N(-) o? K- w-- O-
M-- V-- PS+ PE+ Y+ PGP+ t+@ 5+++ X- R@ tv-- b+ DI+++ D++ G e++ h+ r- y?
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK-----

---

From: "Rob Mueller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 13:04:42 -0700

Hi

I'm just trying to find out if anyone knows anything more about the current 
state of the notify extension. Looking from the list archive I can see this 
was first announced on 03 Jul 2001:

http://www.imc.org/ietf-mta-filters/mail-archive/msg00972.html

A couple of good points re $from$ vs $from-address$ vs $from-name$ and QP 
and charset decoding were raised here:

http://www.imc.org/ietf-mta-filters/mail-archive/msg00973.html

And there was tentative agreement on many of these issues from the original 
draft author stating that he'd create a new one.

http://www.imc.org/ietf-mta-filters/mail-archive/msg00980.html

Though there didn't appear to have been another draft forth coming, and
searching the list, almost no discussion on the "notify" extension since
then, apart from a similar "what's up" email here:

http://www.imc.org/ietf-mta-filters/mail-archive/msg01007.html

I'm wondering what the general process for going forward and creating 
another draft with some of these issues addressed? I think that having a 
non-decoded text/* part in an arbitrary character set will be somewhere 
between annoying and useless, and the separated $from-address$ and 
$from-name$ variables would be very useful.

Is there anyone interested in/able to create a new draft? If not, I'd be 
willing to do it, but I'm not entirely sure of the process of taking over 
and going forward with this.

Rob