Subject: -01 revision of proposed sieve WG charter

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 16:13:41 -0700 (PDT)

Name: SIEVE (sieve mail filtering)
Chairs: Cyrus Daboo <[email-masked]>
        Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Mailing list: [email-masked]>
Subscriptions: mailto:[email-masked]?body=subscribe
List archive: http://www.imc.org/ietf-mta-filters/mail-archive/

The sieve mail filtering language specified in RFC 3028 has now been
implemented in a wide variety of user agents (UAs), mail delivery agents
(MDAs), and mail transfer agents (MTAs). Several extensions have been specified
(RFCs 3431, 3598, 3685) and have also been widely implemented. Several
additional sieve extensions have been defined in various internet-drafts. All
of these documents are individual submissions; up to this point work on sieve
has been done informally and not under the auspices of any IETF working group.

The sieve working group is being chartered to:

(1) Revise the base sieve specification, RFC 3028, with the intention of
    moving it to draft standard. Substantive additions or revisions to the
    base specification are out of scope of this working group. However, the
    need to loosen current restrictions on side effects of tests as well as
    the need for a normative reference to the newly-defined comparators
    registry may necessitate a recycle at proposed.

(2) Produce updated sieve relational (RFC 3431), subaddress (RFC 3598),
    spamtest/virustest (RFC 3685), and copy extension specifications,
    again with the intention of making a move to draft standard possible.
    
(3) Finalize and publish the sieve extensions as proposed standards:

    (a) Variables (draft-homme-sieve-variables-04.txt)
    (b) Vacation action (draft-showalter-sieve-vacation-05.txt)
    (c) Message body tests (draft-degener-sieve-body-02.txt)
    (d) Regular expressions (draft-murchison-sieve-regex-07.txt)
    (e) MIME part tests (draft-daboo-sieve-mime-00.txt)
    (f) Notification action (draft-martin-sieve-notify-02.txt)
    (g) IMAP flags (draft-melnikov-sieve-imapflags-06.txt)
    (h) Header editing actions (draft-degener-sieve-editheader-01.txt)
    (i) Reject before delivery (draft-elvey-refuse-sieve-01.txt)

    Additional drafts may be added this list, but only via a charter revision.
    There must also be demonstrable willingness in the sieve development
    community to actually implement a given extension before it can be added
    to this charter.

Some aspects of sieve have complex internationalization issues; the working
group will seek out internationalization expertise as needed to complete its
work.

Goals and milestones:

(Done) Submit revised variables draft.

(Oct 04) Submit revised vacation draft.

(Nov 04) WG last call for variables draft.

(Dec 04) Initial submission of RFC 3028bis.

(Dec 04) WG last call for vacation draft.

(Jan 05) WG last call for RFC 3028bis.

(Jan 05) Initial submission of revised relational draft.

(Jan 05) Initial submission of revised subaddress draft.

(Jan 05) Initial submission of revised spamtest/virustest draft.

(Jan 05) Submit variables draft to IESG.

(Jan 05) Submit vacation draft to IESG.

(Jan 05) Submit revised editheader draft.

(Feb 05) Submit RFC 3028bis to IESG.

(Feb 05) WG last call of revised relational draft.

(Feb 05) WG last call of revised subaddress draft.

(Feb 05) WG last call of revised spamtest/virustest draft.

(Feb 05) Submit revised body test draft.

(Feb 05) Submit revised imapflags draft.

(Feb 05) Submit revised reject before delivery draft.

(Feb 05) WG last call for editheader draft.

(Feb 05) Submit revised relational draft to IESG.

(Feb 05) Submit revised subaddress draft to IESG.

(Feb 05) Submit revised spamtest/virustest draft to IESG.

(Mar 05) Submit revised notification action draft.

(Mar 05) WG last call for body test draft.

(Mar 05) WG last call for imapflags draft.

(Mar 05) WG last call for reject before delivery draft.

(Mar 05) Submit editheader draft to IESG.

(Apr 05) Submit revised MIME part tests draft.

(Apr 05) WG last call for notification action draft.

(Apr 05) Submit body test draft to IESG.

(Apr 05) Submit imapflags draft to IESG.

(Apr 05) Submit revised reject before delivery draft to IESG.

(May 05) Submit notification action draft to IESG.

(May 05) WG last call for MIME part tests draft.

(May 05) Create list of core sieve features; collect implementation
         information for interoperability report.

(Jun 05) Submit MIME part tests draft to IESG.

(Note that the regex draft is not currently on the goals and milestones
list; there are complex internationalization issues that need to be worked
out before the schedule for this document can be determined.)

---

From: Cyrus Daboo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 16:18:05 -0400

Hi,

> The sieve working group is being chartered to:

OK - this looks good to me. Anyone else have any comments? If not we will 
go ahead and submit this to the AD's for review in the next couple of days.

-- 
Cyrus Daboo