Subject: Draft of sieve WG charter

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 16:37:31 -0700 (PDT)

Sorry for the delay in getting this out. Hopefully better late than never.

Comments, of course, are strongly encouraged.

				Ned
Name: SIEVE (sieve mail filtering)
Chair: Cyrus Daboo <[email-masked]>
Mailing list: [email-masked]>
Subscriptions: mailto:[email-masked]?body=subscribe
List archive: http://www.imc.org/ietf-mta-filters/mail-archive/

The sieve mail filtering language specified in RFC 3028 has now been
implemented ina wide variety user agents (UAs), mail delivery agents (MDAs),
and mail transfer agents (MTAs). Several extensions have been specified
(RFCs 3431, 3598, 3685) and have also been widely implemented. Several
additional sieve extensions have been defined in various internet-drafts.
All of these documents are individual submissions; up to this point work
on sieve has been done informally and not under the auspices of any IETF
working group.

The sieve working group is being chartered to:

(1) Revise the base sieve specification, RFC 3028, with the intention of
    moving it to draft standard. Substantive additions or revisions to the
    base specification are out of scope of this working group. However, the
    need to loosen current restrictions on side effects of tests as well as
    the need for a normative reference to the newly-defined comparators
    registry may necessitate a recycle at proposed.

(2) Produce updated sieve relational (RFC 3431), subaddress (RFC 3598),
    spamtest/virustest (RFC 3685), and copy extension specifications,
    again with the intention of making a move to draft standard possible.
    
(3) Finalize and publish the sieve extensions as proposed standards:

    (a) Variables (draft-homme-sieve-variables-04.txt)
    (b) Vacation action (draft-showalter-sieve-vacation-05.txt)
    (c) Message body tests (draft-degener-sieve-body-02.txt)
    (d) Regular expressions (draft-murchison-sieve-regex-07.txt)
    (e) MIME part tests (draft-daboo-sieve-mime-00.txt)
    (f) Notification action (draft-martin-sieve-notify-02.txt)
    (g) IMAP flags (draft-melnikov-sieve-imapflags-06.txt)
    (h) Header editing actions (draft-degener-sieve-editheader-01.txt)
    (i) Reject before delivery (draft-elvey-refuse-sieve-01.txt)

    Additional drafts may be added this list, but only via a charter revision.
    There must also be demonstable willingness in the sieve development community
    to actually implement a given extnesion before it can be added to this charter.

Some aspects of sieve have complex internationalization issues; the working will
seek out internationalization expertise as needed to complete its work.

Goals and milestones:

(Sep 03) Submit revised variables draft.

(Oct 04) Submit revised vacation draft.

(Nov 04) WG last call for variables draft.

(Nov 04) Initial submission of RFC 3028bis.

(Dec 04) WG last call for RFC 3028bis.

(Dec 04) WG last call for vacation draft.

(Jan 05) Submit RFC 3028bis to IESG.

(Jan 05) Submit variables draft to IESG.

(Jan 05) Submit vacation draft to IESG.

(Jan 05) Submit revised editheader draft.

(Feb 05) Submit revised body test draft.

(Feb 05) Submit revised imapflags draft.

(Feb 05) Submit revised reject before delivery draft.

(Feb 05) WG last call for editheader draft.

(Mar 05) Submit revised notification action draft.

(Mar 05) WG last call for body test draft.

(Mar 05) WG last call for imapflags draft.

(Mar 05) WG last call for reject before delivery draft.

(Mar 05) Submit editheader draft to IESG.

(Apr 05) Submit revised MIME part tests draft.

(Apr 05) WG last call for notification action draft.

(Apr 05) Submit body test draft to IESG.

(Apr 05) Submit imapflags draft to IESG.

(Apr 05) Submit revised reject before delivery draft to IESG.

(May 05) Submit notification action draft to IESG.

(May 05) WG last call for MIME part tests draft.

(May 05) Create list of core sieve features; collect implementation
         information for interoperability report.

(Jun 05) Submit MIME part tests draft to IESG.

(Note that the regex draft is not currently on the goals and milestones
list; there are complex internationalization issues that need to be worked
out before the schedule for this document can be determined.)

---

From: Kjetil Torgrim Homme <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 03:39:18 +0200

nice work, Ned!  the schedule looks aggressive, but realistic.

> implemented ina wide variety user agents (UAs), mail delivery agents (MDAs),

"ina", missing "of".

>     There must also be demonstable willingness in the sieve development community

"demonstable" is a quite interesting word :-)

>     to actually implement a given extnesion before it can be added to this charter.

"extnesion".

> Some aspects of sieve have complex internationalization issues; the working will

should be "working group".

> (Sep 03) Submit revised variables draft.

this was submitted on Sep 15, the revision number in your list is up-to-
date.

> (Nov 04) Initial submission of RFC 3028bis.

there has been a number of mentions of this and that needs to be fixed
or reworded in 3028bis in the archives.  do we have a volunteer to
dredge through them?

-- 
Kjetil T.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 07:34:24 -0700 (PDT)

> "ina", missing "of".

Fixed.

> "demonstable" is a quite interesting word :-)

Fixed.

> should be "working group".

Fixed.

> this was submitted on Sep 15, the revision number in your list is up-to-

Right, needs to be marked as done.

> or reworded in 3028bis in the archives.  do we have a volunteer to

AFAIK we do not, and unless Tim has been keeping track we'll definitely
need one.

				Ned

---

From: Cyrus Daboo <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 11:25:38 -0400

Hi [email-masked],

--On Wednesday, September 22, 2004 7:34 AM -0700 [email-masked] 
wrote:

> n

Tim does have a (short) 3028 bugs list. He did send it to me a month ago. I 
will work on getting that up on our website for all to see.

-- 
Cyrus Daboo

---

From: Cyrus Daboo <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 12:40:53 -0400

Hi ned,

> Comments, of course, are strongly encouraged.

Thanks for putting this together. Apart from the issues Kjetil pointed out, 
the only thing I would suggest is pushing back the 3028bis milestones by 
one month to give us a bit more time to trawl through the archives for 
bugs/issues and convert the original source to XML or whatever. Also, the 
ADs have said they would much rather have conservative milestones that are 
met, rather than aggressive ones that aren't met - however I think the 
milestones on the new extensions look OK.

One more thing - there are no milestones for the updates to existing 
extensions covered by action item (2). I suggest we add those and have them 
trail the 3028bis milestones by a month.

-- 
Cyrus Daboo

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 10:08:38 -0700 (PDT)

> bugs/issues and convert the original source to XML or whatever.

Done.

> Also, the

Good. The list is long, but it belies the fact that most of this stuff
has been around for a while and has already seen extensive discussion.

> trail the 3028bis milestones by a month.

Oops. Added.

				Ned