Subject: Re: Working Group Last Call for draft-ietf-sieve-refuse-reject-00.txt

From: Michael Haardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 16:11:05 +0200

> >Section 5.1:
> >
> >   If the "reason" string is multiline, than the reason text MUST be
> >   returned as a multiline SMTP/LMTP response, per [SMTP], section
> >   4.2.1.
> >
> >What should happen for plain old SMTP sessions?
> >  
> >
> I am not sure I understand the question.

I just read again and although there are clients using HELO and not
understanding multiline responses, RFC 821 already allowed multiline
responses under all circumstances.  So forget what I said.

Section 5.1 covers not allowed characters, but should add that it is
an error if messages generated from the response messages would
have lines exceeding 512 bytes in length.

Michael

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 19:01:33 +0100

>have lines exceeding 512 bytes in length.
I've added:

 Any line MUST NOT exceed SMTP limit on the maximal line length. The 
server MAY insert CRLFs to make the reason string conform to any such 
limits.

Does this address your issue?

Alexey