Subject: Protocol Action: 'SIEVE Email Filtering: IMAP flag Extension' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 13:29:36 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'SIEVE Email Filtering: IMAP flag Extension '
   <draft-ietf-sieve-imapflags-05.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Sieve Mail Filtering Language Working 
Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Lisa Dusseault and Ted Hardie.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sieve-imapflags-05.txt

Technical Summary

  The SIEVE imap4flags extension provides the ability for a 
  SIEVE script to set flags on messages as they are delivered 
  into an IMAP message store.

  The extension defines a number of new actions, and modifies 
  two existing actions to allow the setting of flags. It can 
  be used in the presence of the variables extension, or without 
  it.

   The draft has a description of how interactions with other 
  SIEVE extensions/actions are handled.

  There is a security considerations section.

  This draft is being submitted for Proposed Standard.

Working Group Summary

  The imap4flags extension was originally submitted as an 
  individual contribution several years ago. It has had minor 
  changes since then, mostly in relation to its interaction with 
  the variable extension. There are now several deployed 
  implementations of this specification. Working group last call 
  was issued in September 2005 and a number of minor 
  clarifications and errors were fixed based on comments, and 
  subsequent post-last-call comments.

Protocol Quality

  Many implementations of this extension have already been 
  developed and deployed. Most participants are eager to see 
  this spec published as an RFC.

  There were at least 6 individuals (not including WG chairs) 
  who posted comments during or post WG last call, and who 
  indicated approval of the spec, with the WGLC changes 
  included.

  The SIEVE WG has reviewed the draft and discussed it at 
  several meetings.  Last-call (and post last-call) reviews 
  included:
   - Philip Guenther
   - David Cridland
   - Aaron Stone
   - Ken Murchison
   - Ned Freed

  Lisa Dusseault reviewed this spec for the IESG.

Note to RFC Editor
 
  On publication, please remove Section 0 (zero)
 
IANA Note

 Yoshiko Chong reviewed this for IANA.  There is an IANA action to register a
new SIEVE extension.