Subject: Protocol Action: 'Sieve Email Filtering -- Subaddress Extension' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 17:26:06 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Sieve Email Filtering -- Subaddress Extension '
   <draft-ietf-sieve-rfc3598bis-05.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Sieve Mail Filtering Language Working 
Group. 

This is a revision of RFC 3598. The "subaddress" SIEVE mail filtering language
extension adds two tagged arguments to the address tests to allow for
independent testing of "user" and "detail" parts of a local part of an email
address that originates from a email system that supports "subaddressing" or
"detailed addressing" (e.g., "[email-masked]"). This extension helps
with Sieve script portability and eliminate the need for script writers to know
exact subaddressing syntax, which can vary from one email system to another.

Process and goals history of this draft.

This document is a revision of RFC 3598 and thus contains editorial
clarifications, fixes to examples, updated boilerplate and references. Based on
feedback from WG members the original wording in RFC 3598 was extended to allow
for more flexible subaddressing syntaxes, for example one implementation can
use"<user>+<details>" and another can use "<details>--<user>". RFC 3598 only
allowed for the "<user>+<details>" form.

There are already multiple implementations of RFC 3598.

The IESG contact persons are Lisa Dusseault and Ted Hardie.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sieve-rfc3598bis-05.txt

Technical Summary

This is a revision of RFC 3598. The "subaddress" SIEVE mail filtering language
extension adds two tagged arguments to the address tests to allow for
independent testing of "user" and "detail" parts of a local part of an email
address that originates from a email system that supports "subaddressing" or
"detailed addressing" (e.g., "[email-masked]"). This extension helps
with Sieve script portability and eliminate the need for script writers to know
exact subaddressing syntax, which can vary from one email system to another.
 
Working Group Summary
 
No significant dissent. Good working group consensus.
 
Protocol Quality

The SIEVE WG has reviewed the draft and discussed it at a several meetings.
Last-call (and post last-call) reviews included:
- Michael Haardt
- Kjetil Torgrim Homme
- Ned Freed
- Mark E. Mallett

Additional reviews were done by:
- Arnt Gulbrandsen
- Dave Cridland

Note to RFC Editor
 
  As a clarification, add a para. at the end of the Introduction:

  "Note that parsing the addressee of an incoming message
  into 'user' and 'detail' parts is a local matter not specified
  in this document."

  Also please review during editing whether the use of ' and "
  is optimal for clarity.

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce