Subject: Re: the notify issues

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 01:30:26 +0000

Dilyan Palauzov wrote:

>> Issue #6
>> "send notification over XMPP, if can be delivered immediately.  
>> Otherwise send it over SMS"
>
 [...]

>   2). Keep the existing syntax. A new "stackable" notification method
>   can be specified that will perform the desired functionality.
>
> I do not get what means "stackable notification".

I meant a new notification mechanism which tries to deliver notification 
using different mechanisms.
E.g. something [horrible] like:
 <stack:mech1=xmpp:[email-masked]:...;mech2=sms:...>

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 22:52:01 +0000

Dilyan Palauzov wrote:

> I am in favour of:
>   1). Add a test to check if a notification method (specified
>   as an URI) can deliver the notification immediately.

I've done this part.

>   1)  Add a test to check if a notification method (specified
>   as an URI) HAS delieverED the notification immediately.
>
> Expanations: for sending an SMS, or mail it cannot be said if the  
> message can be delivered immediately, as it depends on many things,  
> and even if a notification can be delivered during the test, this 
> does  not mean that it is delivered delivered immediately at a later 
> point,  when the notification is send. On the other side, if an SMS of 
> mail is  send, an acknowledgement can be requested, that the 
> notification is  read/delivered. Naturally, this will mean that the 
> interpreter has to  stop for certain time, like 10s, and wait for the 
> acknowledgement.

I don't particularly like this part of your suggestion. In particular 
because many implementations don't send a notification when a notify 
action is called, they defer sending the notification till after the 
script evaluation is complete and can do this asynchronously.

What you suggest will also block message delivery, which might be 
inacceptable for some deployments.

---

From: Arnt Gulbrandsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 12:42:17 +0100

> script evaluation is complete and can do this asynchronously.

Makes sense.

But please add some text that long delays are best avoided, particularly 
for scripts that use the new 'can deliver immediately' test. 0.1 
seconds is not a problem, but the ability to deliver immediately could 
easily change in 10 seconds.

Arnt