Subject: editheader (and redirect)

From: Dilyan Palauzov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2007 00:44:41 +0100

Hello,

Concerning the discussion with redirect I am in favour of Ned's 2nd  
suggestion:

(2) Silently ignore any deletions made to Recieved: fields when  
redirect is used.

And пдие about editheader:

    3. Action addheader:

    The addheader action adds a header field to the existing message
    header.  If the field-name is not a valid 7-bit US-ASCII header
    field name as described by the [IMAIL] "field-name" nonterminal
    syntax element, the implementation MUST flag an error.  The
    addheader action does not affect Sieve's implicit keep.

I am against this 7bit ASCII restriction. Once  
draft-ietf-eai-utf8headers gets a rfc number, it will be normal to add  
UTF8 headers, apart the ASCII 7 bits one. And because we don't want  
then to release a new editheader, I suggest to allow UTF8 headers  
without generating an error (or leave it up to the implementation).

The same story with:
    4. Delete header

    If the field-name is not a valid 7-bit header field name ...
    [...]
    If an script uses the deleteheader action ...
    -> If a script uses the deleteheader action ...

In
    5 Interaction with Other Sieve Extensions

    shouldn|t it be canceLLed instead of canceLed? I am not an expert,  
but consider canceLLed is better.

   Със здраве,
     Дилян

---

From: Philip Guenther <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 17:17:03 -0700

On Thu, 8 Mar 2007, Dilyan Palauzov wrote:
...
> And  about editheader:
> I am against this 7bit ASCII restriction. Once draft-ietf-eai-utf8headers 
> gets a rfc number, it will be normal to add UTF8 headers, apart the ASCII 7 
> bits one.

The restriction is on the field *name*, not on the value.  The EAI draft 
you mention does not currently permit non-ASCII characters in the field 
name and suggestions to permit them have been consistently rejected.

...
>  -> If a script uses the deleteheader action ...

Fixed.

>  shouldn|t it be canceLLed instead of canceLed? I am not an expert, but 
> consider canceLLed is better.

American english usage, which is what the RFC series tends to follow, 
prefers "canceled" over "cancelled".

Philip Guenther