Subject: mark shared folder's mails as read

From: Boris Andratzek <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 17:17:57 +0200

Hej all,

I'm new to this list and subscribed because I hope to get some help in
an special case. I already googled a lot, and wrote to lists from debian
and cyrus.

I have a cyrus-imapd on Debian Sarge working well I created a shared
folder and let some users have full access to this shared folder. Now if
one user drops a mail in this shared folder it appears marked as unread
for all other users. That is what I want to get rid of. So what I need
is a tool, that works only on that shared folder, and marks all mails as
read. The user's inbox should not be affected!

I think this should be possible with sieve, what do you think? Thanks in
advance for ideas!

Boris

---

From: Ken Murchison <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 12:22:58 -0400

> I think this should be possible with sieve, what do you think? Thanks in

Cyrus treats the \Seen flag as per-user, not as a global flag.  So there 
is no way to mark a message read for all users.

-- 
Kenneth Murchison
Systems Programmer
Project Cyrus Developer/Maintainer
Carnegie Mellon University

---

From: Boris Andratzek <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 18:42:21 +0200

> is no way to mark a message read for all users.

Hej Ken,

thanks for you comment!
Yes, I already included that in my plans! There are only few users (5)
to be equipped with that feature so I thought about having a
sieve-script for each of them!?
The harder challenge seems to be the working on the shared folder and
leave the inbox untouched!

Boris

---

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 08:07:59 -0400

> leave the inbox untouched!

I don't see why that would be a problem, in general.

The real problem you have here is that Sieve won't do it as currently 
defined.  That's because it's only invoked during mail *delivery*, not 
during an IMAP operation, such as APPEND or COPY.  It seems like you 
need it during the IMAP operations.

Watch this spec: draft-ietf-lemonade-imap-sieve
Assuming I ever get the time to get it finished (it needs a script 
management piece, using mailbox metadata, which I'm behind on getting 
defined.  Once it's ready, lobby the Cyrus folks to implement it, and 
then you can write a Sieve script to do what you want.

-- 
Barry Leiba

---

From: Boris Andratzek <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 14:38:12 +0200

> then you can write a Sieve script to do what you want.

Hej Barry,

thank you very much for your comment! I will observe tune in to the
development of this topic for it is an interesting feature!

Boris