Subject: Re: draft-ietf-sieve-managesieve-00.txt is to replace draft-martin-managesieve-12.txt

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Nov 2008 12:25:23 +0000

Arnt Gulbrandsen wrote:

>>> A new command is the cleanest way. CHECKSCRIPT.
>>
>> I agree this is cleaner. But it has to be an extension (which is fine 
>> in this case)
>
> My intuitive preference is to make an extension, say that server MUST 
> implement it, explain that it is an extension only because past 
> versions of the document didn't contain CHECKSCRIPT,

Currently I have 3 extensions in the document: RENAMESCRIPT, NOOP and 
CHECKSCRIPT. I am wondering if we should bundle all 3 together and 
advertise a single capability for them.

> and maybe put warnings into this extension. (I haven't looked at how 
> you did warnings in today's draft.)

No need, as WARNINGS is a response code.

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Nov 2008 12:33:27 +0000

Aaron Stone wrote:

> On Oct 21, 2008, at 4:20 AM, Arnt Gulbrandsen wrote:
>
>>> I agree this is cleaner. But it has to be an extension (which is  
>>> fine in this case)
>>
>> My intuitive preference is to make an extension, say that server  
>> MUST implement it, explain that it is an extension only because past  
>> versions of the document didn't contain CHECKSCRIPT, and maybe put  
>> warnings into this extension. (I haven't looked at how you did  
>> warnings in today's draft.)
>
> +1 for a new mandatory command.

Ok, I've added a new CHECKSCRIPT command, which is currently a new 
CHECKSCRIPT extension (but see my reply to Arnt about that).

> Probably does need to be defined as an extension because there are a  
> number of extant implementations. I thought someone said that we're  
> breaking use of PUTSCRIPT for syntax validation, but I didn't see  
> where that happened in a (very) quick read of the draft. If we make a  
> change like that, I think it's reasonable to add CHECKSCRIPT without  
> advertising it.
>
> I'll note that the ABNF for PUTSCRIPT still allows a blank name:
>
> command-putscript = "PUTSCRIPT" SP sieve-name SP sieve-script
> sieve-name = string
> quoted = DQUOTE *1024QUOTED-CHAR DQUOTE ;; limited to 1024 octets  
> between the <">s

I've fixed that in ABNF by introducing active-script-name (to be used by 
SETACTIVE command only) ABNF production and disallowing empty string in 
the sieve-name production.