Subject: [draft-melnikov-sieve-external-lists] Proposed Changes To Section 2.3

From: Robert Burrell Donkin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 10:04:25 +0100

Changes
- -------
Revise and consolidate existing paragraphs 3 and 4 into a shorter functional
description.

Rationale
- ---------
Paragraphs 3 and 4 in 2.3 specify complex, hard to test requirements for
little clear gain. Regarding the redirection as a black box makes the
specification
more concise and allows more space for novel approaches.

- --------------------------------------------------------------------------
[1] Proposed Text
- --------------------------------------------------------------------------

2.3.  :list tagged argument to the "redirect" action

   Usage:  redirect :list

   The "redirect" action with the ":list" argument is used to send the
   message to one or more email addresses stored in the externally
   stored list 'ext-list-name'.  This variant of the redirect command
   can be used to implement a personal distribution list.

   The Sieve engine and list server SHOULD collaborate to achieve a
   redirection consistent with the semantics described in [Sieve]. If
   they are unable to do so then the situation MUST result in a
   runtime error.

   See Section 2.4 for the detailed description of syntax used for
   naming externally stored lists.

- --------------------------------------------------------------------------
[2] Original Text
- --------------------------------------------------------------------------
2.3.  :list tagged argument to the "redirect" action

   Usage:  redirect :list

   The "redirect" action with the ":list" argument is used to send the
   message to one or more email addresses stored in the externally
   stored list 'ext-list-name'.  This variant of the redirect command
   can be used to implement a personal distribution list.

   Use of this feature requires that the list resolve to a list of email
   addresses, and that the Sieve engine be able to enumerate those
   addresses. [[anchor5: Alexey would like the option of allowing the
   list handler to enumerate the addresses and do the redirect there.
   Barry thinks that's contrary to Sieve, which expects to queue the
   redirect action for processing at a later stage, and that it would be
   a bad idea to have the redirect happen in the list handler.  The WG
   needs to resolve this issue.]]  In cases where, for example, a list
   contains hashed email address values or an email address pattern
   ("[email-masked]", "[email-masked]"), it will not be possible to
   redirect to that list.

   If the Sieve engine [[anchor6: or list handler?]] is permanently
   unable to enumerate the list or the list does not resolve to email
   addresses, the situation MUST result in a runtime error in the Sieve
   script.

   See Section 2.4 for the detailed description of syntax used for
   naming externally stored lists.

---

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 14:25:41 -0400

I don't strongly object to the change Robert suggests, below, but I
think it's useful to explain the situation, to explain why there might
be issues here.  I'd rather not eliminate the paragraph that gives
that explanation.  I'm happier, if we want to use Robert's text, to
leave at least some of the eliminated paragraph in as an informative
note.

Barry

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 5:04 AM, Robert Burrell
Donkin<[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
>
> Changes
> - -------