Subject: [sieve] I-D Action: draft-ietf-sieve-notify-sip-message-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2011 12:51:10 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories. This draft is a work item of the Sieve Mail Filtering Language Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Sieve Notification Mechanism: SIP MESSAGE
	Author(s)       : Alexey Melnikov
                          Henning Schulzrinne
                          Qian Sun
                          Barry Leiba
                          Kepeng Li
	Filename        : draft-ietf-sieve-notify-sip-message-03.txt
	Pages           : 13
	Date            : 2011-07-08

   This document describes a profile of the Sieve extension for
   notifications, to allow notifications to be sent over SIP MESSAGE.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sieve-notify-sip-message-03.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sieve-notify-sip-message-03.txt

---

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2011 15:59:23 -0400

> A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
> directories. This draft is a work item of the Sieve Mail Filtering
> Language Working Group of the IETF.
>
...
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sieve-notify-sip-message-03.txt

This update resolves (I think) all open issues but one.  I have
included notes (look for "[[") from the excellent RAI reviews by Adam
Roach and Ben Campbell, and many thanks to both of them for their
reviews.  Everyone, please review this version and check that you
think Kepeng and I have resolved the issues reasonably.

The problem is that there's a major issue unresolved, and it's a real
stumbling block.  See section 2.1 and its subsections for discussions
of that.  The short version is that SIP can use many different URI
schemas, and it's unpredictable what SIP schemas might be used in the
future... and Sieve Notify uses the URI schema to identify the
notification method.

I really don't know what to do about this situation, and I welcome
suggestions.  Please read all of section 2.1 and its subsections, and
let me know what you think.

After we've tried to sort this out, I'll ask Ben if he'll re-review
this version, to see if he agrees that we've resolved his concerns.

Barry