Subject: [sieve] I-D Action: draft-ietf-sieve-convert-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2011 08:40:25 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories. This draft is a work item of the Sieve Mail Filtering Language Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Sieve Extension for converting messages before delivery
	Author(s)       : Alexey Melnikov
                          Qian Sun
                          Barry Leiba
                          Kepeng Li
	Filename        : draft-ietf-sieve-convert-01.txt
	Pages           : 8
	Date            : 2011-07-08

   This document describes how IMAP CONVERT can be used within Sieve to
   transform messages before final delivery.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sieve-convert-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sieve-convert-01.txt

---

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2011 13:19:17 -0400

> A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
> directories. This draft is a work item of the Sieve Mail Filtering
> Language Working Group of the IETF.
>
...
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sieve-convert-01.txt

I did some major surgery on this version, so please, everyone, have a
good look at it.  The major change is that I changed the conversion
from being a part of the "fileinto" action to being an action of its
own.  This allows us to convert the whole message and the use
"fileinto" or "redirect" (or implicit keep).  It also allows us to
convert the body parts individually, perhaps using different
conversions for different body parts.

Please make sure I got things right, and let me know if further
changes are needed.  I'm happy with where it is right now, and I think
it's ready to go.  Am I right?  Am I wrong?

Reviews and comments, please.

Barry

---

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 09:28:22 -0400

> conversions for different body parts.

After talking about this more with Alexey, and batting use cases
around, I find that we both think it best to be able to do multiple
"fileinto" or "redirect" actions that include *different* sets of
conversions.  I had explicitly forbidden that in the -01 version, and
have posted an -02 version privately to change that:

http://internetmessagingtechnology.org/ietf/draft-ietf-sieve-convert-02.txt

Diffs here:
http://tools.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url1=http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-sieve-convert-01.txt&url2=http://internetmessagingtechnology.org/ietf/draft-ietf-sieve-convert-02.txt

This version keeps the separate "convert" actions, but now allows a
sequence like "convert, fileinto, convert, fileinto," where the
conversions are cumulative, but each "fileinto" saves the message as
it was at the time the "fileinto" was encountered.

I'll talk about that in Québec, and I'll post this version as soon as
the I-D embargo is lifted.

Barry

---

From: Cyrus Daboo <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 10:32:29 -0400

Hi Barry,

> the I-D embargo is lifted.

Speaking of which, if you have specific talking points (for this and your 
other drafts) please send those to me and I will put them in the slides for 
the meeting.

-- 
Cyrus Daboo