Subject: [sieve] I-D Action: draft-ietf-sieve-convert-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 11:18:13 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories. This draft is a work item of the Sieve Mail Filtering Language Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Sieve Extension for converting messages before delivery
	Author(s)       : Alexey Melnikov
                          Qian Sun
                          Barry Leiba
                          Kepeng Li
	Filename        : draft-ietf-sieve-convert-02.txt
	Pages           : 8
	Date            : 2011-07-25

   This document describes how IMAP CONVERT can be used within Sieve to
   transform messages before final delivery.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sieve-convert-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sieve-convert-02.txt

---

From: Stephan Bosch <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 15:58:21 +0200

> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sieve-convert-02.txt

I gave this a quick first review. I have the following questions:

1)  Do we need a mechanism to discover which conversions are available 
(analogous to the IMAP CONVERSIONS command and the AVAILABLECONVERSIONS 
data  item)?

2) Error handling: what happens when the convert command is issued with 
invalid parameters, e.g. unknown conversion, unknown/invalid  parameter 
etc. ? And what happens when a conversion just fails temporarily or due 
to invalid input data from the message?

3) The interaction with subsequent disposition actions and other convert 
actions is described explicitly. But what happens with subsequent tests 
that evaluate the message body (e.g. header :mime) ? E.g. for the 
editheader extension, subsequent header tests all see the changes made. 
If tests following the convert command should see the  changes as well, 
applying the instructed conversions at the end of Script execution (as 
suggested at the end of Section 2) will be difficult.

Regards,

Stephan.