Subject: [sieve] I-D Action: draft-ietf-sieve-imap-sieve-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2012 08:38:23 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories. This draft is a work item of the Sieve Mail Filtering Language Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Support for Internet Message Access Protocol (IMAP) Events in Sieve
	Author(s)       : Barry Leiba
	Filename        : draft-ietf-sieve-imap-sieve-03.txt
	Pages           : 25
	Date            : 2012-03-06

   Sieve defines an email filtering language that can, in principle,
   plug into any point in the processing of an email message.  As
   defined in the base specification, it plugs into mail delivery.  This
   document defines how Sieve can plug into points in the IMAP protocol
   where messages are created or changed, adding the option of user-
   defined or installation-defined filtering (or, with Sieve extensions,
   features such as notifications).

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sieve-imap-sieve-03.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sieve-imap-sieve-03.txt

---

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2012 12:15:38 -0500

> A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
> directories. This draft is a work item of the Sieve Mail Filtering Language
> Working Group of the IETF.
>
...
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sieve-imap-sieve-03.txt

And another is:
  http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-sieve-imap-sieve  (Hi, Alexey!)

This version should be close to ready: I've incorporated all comments
so far except what I note below, and thanks to Stephan for his last
review (quite some time ago now; sorry), which resulted in some
significant improvements.  (I do have two minor updates in my working
copy, one of which replaces the obsolete reference to RFC 4409 with
6409.)

I have added a section, 1.4, noting what's left; please review that.
In that section I have three responses to Stephan (which I think
should be final, and we should be OK), and two remaining action items
that I'd like to ask Alexey to help with.

The two items are as follows:

   To Do: "Interaction with Metadata": Add text requiring ManageSieve,
   and giving ManageSieve URI in IMAP capability.

   To Do: "Interaction with Metadata": Add ManageSieve action to set
   metadata item.

Alexey, you're much more familiar with ManageSieve than I am.  Can you
come up with text to put into the "Interaction with Metadata" section
(2.3.1) that will resolve these two items?

If we can get text for that soon (hey, maybe even by the end of the
week, so I can re-post before the Monday deadline?), we can actually
do a WGLC on this version, and be ready to send it to the IESG after
Paris.

Barry

---

From: Barry Leiba <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 11:50:40 -0400

Ping...
Still soliciting final reviews.  Ned 'em.  Last document, here --
let's finish it up!

Also: we have a suggestion that the target status of this document be
changed from Standards Track to Experimental.  I support that change,
as do the chairs.  Comments from other reviewers on this are
<strike>welcome</strike> encouraged.

Barry

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 11:11:08 +0000

Hi Barry,

On 14/03/2012 15:50, Barry Leiba wrote:
  [...]
> On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 12:15 PM, Barry Leiba<[email-masked]>  wrote:
>> should be final, and we should be OK),
I think Stephan's issues were addressed.
>> and two remaining action items
I think you already did (by making support for ManageSieve a MUST).
>>    and giving ManageSieve URI in IMAP capability.
I think you should update the definition of the "imapsieve" IMAP 
capability to be "imapsieve=<sieveurl-server>", where sieveurl-server is 
defined in Section 3 of RFC 5804. Also update IMAP examples accordingly.
>>    To Do: "Interaction with Metadata": Add ManageSieve action to set
Is this still needed? And did you mean IMAP Sieve script activation for 
a mailbox?
>> (2.3.1) that will resolve these two items?
Some suggestions for the first issue are above. I need a bit more 
information on the second issue. Also here are some other related changes:

2.3.1.  Interaction with Metadata

    This specifies the mechanism for "activating" a script for a given
    mailbox (or for all mailboxes), but does not specify a mechanism for
    creating, storing, or validating the script.  Implementations MUST
    support ManageSieve [RFC5804], and can use the PUTSCRIPT command to
    store the script without using the SETACTIVE command to activate it.

    In any case, the script name that is specified in the /IMAPSieve/
    Script metadata entry is in a form that depends upon how the server
    handles the storing of Sieve scripts.  Script names used here MUST
    match script names used by METADATA.

I do find the last 2 sentences confusing. How about this instead:

    Script names used in "/IMAPSieve/Script" metadata entries
    are the script names used on the corresponding ManageSieve server.
    If a "/IMAPSieve/Script" metadata entry contains a script name that
    doesn't exist in the ManageSieve server, then no Sieve script
    will be invoked for IMAP Sieve events.