Subject: [sieve] Sieve :regex

From: Ken Murchison <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2017 16:57:22 -0400

All,

I've been spending a bit of time back in the Cyrus IMAP Sieve code and 
I'm thinking about resurrecting the Sieve :regex draft (just in time for 
Easter ;)  in an effort to get it standardized. I actually don't recall 
why this draft died in the Sieve WG -- it may be that Ned and I just 
didn't have the time to work on it, or there may have been issues that 
we didn't want to deal with and/or for which the WG didn't have solutions.

Does anyone have any (new) outstanding issues or answers to those 
already listed in draft-ietf-sieve-regex-01 
<https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-sieve-regex-01> ?

Who has implemented some form of :regex (with or without variables 
integration)?

If I resubmit this as an individual, should I name it 
draft-murchison-sieve-regex-09 or start fresh with something like 
draft-murchison-sieve-regex-bis-00 ?

-- 
Kenneth Murchison
Principal Systems Software Engineer
Carnegie Mellon University

---

From: Stephan Bosch <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2017 02:00:32 +0200

Op 4/11/2017 om 10:57 PM schreef Ken Murchison:
> I'm thinking about resurrecting the Sieve :regex draft (just in time
> for Easter ;)  in an effort to get it standardized.  I actually don't
> recall why this draft died in the Sieve WG -- it may be that Ned and I
> just didn't have the time to work on it, or there may have been issues
> that we didn't want to deal with and/or for which the WG didn't have
> solutions.
>

Much like the draft indicates, the use of EREs in the context of Unicode
strings is quite problematic. Is there any backwards-compatible regex
flavor that properly deals with UTF-8 that we could adopt? Do we need to
define our own IETF regex flavor?

Another thing I thought of: a thing that is severely lacking in the
Sieve ecosystem is string manipulation. Having some form of regex-based
string substitution/replacement capability would be very useful I think.
Does this violate the Sieve philosophy? It shouldn't if we're careful.

> Who has implemented some form of :regex (with or without variables

We have. Dovecot Pigeonhole currently implements
draft-murchison-sieve-regex-08. I haven't gotten around to updating it
to the latest revision (the set modifier particularly). It supports
match variables.

Regards,

Stephan.

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2017 10:29:21 +0100

> draft-murchison-sieve-regex-bis-00 ?
Probably better under a new name.