Subject: RE: who generates the MTP3 services expected by a remote MTP3 use r?

From: "Schantz, John" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 07:52:58 -0700

I'm with you.  In the backhaul case, the statement "M3UA does not itself
provide the MTP3 service" may be true.  But in the non-backhaul case, this
statement is definitely wrong.  M3UA is providing at least minimal set of
MTP3 functions:  message transport (DATA) and network management (DUNA,
DAVA, etc. and route management).
 
John

-----Original Message-----
From: Jacques Rajchgod [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, August 15, 2001 9:21 AM
To: sigtran
Subject: who generates the MTP3 services expected by a remote MTP3 user?

Throughout the M3UA-06 draft doc, the text expounds the principle that M3UA
is an adaptation layer that recreates/simulates or otherwise offers the
services expected by an SCN from its immediately-lower layer (Section
1.3.1). Ex: M3UA would offer to a remote SSCP the services of an MTP3 as
would be found at a local MTP3. 
M3UA would offer to a remote ISUP the same services that a local ISUP would
expect. Section 1.3.2 further beautifies the principle by explaining that
remote entities do not even know that their "reproduced MTP3" is not native!
All these explanations dribble-down to this: An M3UA offers the services
expected by its user. Put in different words, I would write: "M3UA generates
- at the remote point - the services expected by the remote MTP3 user."
However, section 1.3.2 also states (9 lines into it) that M3UA does not
itself provide the MTP3 service. This seems contradictory. One statement
says that it YES provides the services expected, while another statement
says "NO  - it does not ITSELF offer the expected services...". Confusing. 

Jacques Rajchgod
MCI Worldcom
Next Generation System Evaluation
Tel: [972] 729-1487
E-mail: [email-masked] 

---
You are currently subscribed to sigtran as: [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send a blank email to
[email-masked] 

---
You are currently subscribed to sigtran as: [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send a blank email to [email-masked]