Subject: Acknowledgement on ASP-UP

From: "Alf Heidermark (UAB)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 12:51:30 +0200

Hello 

Can someone clarify the need for an acknowledgement of the ASP-UP, ASP-DOWN messages.

---
You are currently subscribed to sigtran as: [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send a blank email to [email-masked]

---

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 14:40:23 -0500

Alf,

I have heard that the original intention of the ASPUP Ack and ASPDN Ack
was to ensure that the remote UA peer had not GONE_AWAY yet leave the
SCTP association still open.  That is, as a peer ack to ensure that
the peer software has not LOCKED_UP.

Another view on ASPUP Ack is that when sending an ASPUP the ASP must
wait to see if an ERR message is returned in response before starting
traffic.  The ASPUP Ack serves to indicate that no ERR message will
be forthcoming with regard to the ASPUP and permit the ASP to
immediately start traffic (even if only ASPSM/TM).

On the other side, an ASPDN Ack serves to indicate to the ASP that the
SG has removed traffic from the ASP and that the ASP should ignore
any further messages from the SG.

They do serve a useful purpose.

--brian

Alf Heidermark (UAB) wrote:                        (Tue, 21 Aug 2001 12:51:30)

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock
[email-masked]
http://www.openss7.org/

---