Subject: [SUA issue 16] AMF at ASP

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 09:37:43 +0300

From: ext Brian F. G. Bidulock [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: 06 August, 2001 23:00
To: Loughney John (NRC/Helsinki); Lyndon Ong
Subject: Fwd: SUA 06: AMF at ASP

Attached is an SUA Last Call issue:

SGP Management and routing of messages from ASP to SGP.

--brian

------_=_NextPart_000_01C12489.2EB53C44
From: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Subject: SUA 06: AMF at ASP
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 22:52:42 +0300
MIME-Version: 1.0
X-Mailer: Internet Mail Service (5.5.2652.78)
List-Unsubscribe: <mailto:[email-masked]>
Content-Type: text/plain

Section 1.5.2 says:

   There is, however, no SUA messaging to manage the status of an SGP.
   Whenever an SCTP association to an SGP exists, it is assumed to be
   available.  Also, every SGP of one SG communicating with one ASP
   regarding one AS provides identical SS7 connectivity to this ASP.

This same issue came up with M3UA.  SGP cannot be treated as providing
identical connectivity and the ASP must perform some algorithm in
consideration of the attributes of SGP, it only to some such thing
as load-share messages accross the SGP in an SG.  Because SGP are
exactly that: independent SG processes, they can suffer partial
failures and it is necessary for the ASP to take into consideration
the partially functioning state of an SGP when sending messages towards
it.  A case in point would be when an SGP can route messages to all
SLS under normal operation, but when partitioned from its SGP peers,
it is only able to process several SLS and the other SGP cannot process
these SLS at all.  Failing the whole SG or allowing arbitrary messages
to be discarded or returned is unworkable.

On approach without adding SGP management would be to insist that
an ASP only routes messages to an SGP that it would receive from
that SGP within the Routing Context/Routing Key under which it is
currently active and receiving traffic.  The routing context itself,
then, would be used by the ASP to select the SGP.

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock
[email-masked]
http://www.openss7.org/

---
You are currently subscribed to sigtran as: [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send a blank email to
[email-masked]

------_=_NextPart_000_01C12489.2EB53C44--

---
You are currently subscribed to sigtran as: [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send a blank email to [email-masked]