Subject: Re: m2pa header

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 18:35:50 -0500

Wayne,

Please see comments below...

wayne n taylor wrote: (Mon, 27 Aug 2001 19:17:26)
>
> Brian,
>
> i was referring to the function of m2pa having to add a LI field into
> the user data as part of the m2pa header.

This statement does not make sense to me: how can LI be added "into
the user data" and at the same time be "part of the m2pa header"?
LI is never "part of the m2pa header" and is always only part of
the User Data.

> in the case were networks
> dont send the LI field with the mtp3 data,

If you are talking about an MSU which comes from MTP3 without LI
and needs LI prepended before transmission, I put it to you that the
same MTP3's require 3-bytes (BSN/BIB, FSN/FIB, LI/LI0) to be
prepended today.  Either the MTP3 has already reserved these bytes
in the presented buffer or not.  For normal SS7 reserve 3-bytes,
for M2PA reserve 1.  So what?

> it is the lower layers
> that i was concerned about dealing with the odd byte boundary after
> m2pa adds the one byte LI field.

The lower layers are not concerned aboyt byte boundaries.  Again,
SS7 is a bit-oriented protocol.

It might help if you provide some specifics on where you think this
will cause some problems and on which specific processor architectures.
I can think of no processor architecture or boundary concerns here
whatsoever.  Please identify the specifics of at least one case.

--brian

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock
[email-masked]
http://www.openss7.org/

---
You are currently subscribed to sigtran as: [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send a blank email to [email-masked]