Subject: Re: [SUA Issue] Hop Counter

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 16:12:07 -0500

Klaus,

As John S. points out, there is little difference between setting hop
counter to 0 in (XL)UDT(S) and having it as optional.

Hop counter is always an optional parameter in CR.

Some specifications (check TTC) do not even support Hop Counter and do
not support (XL)UDT(S) for that matter, only UDT(S).

Requiring hop counter to be populated by the NIF is specifying NIF
behavior which is out of scope.  When hop counter is populatated by NIF
is an implementation matter.  It is sufficient that the parameter is
there for the implementation to include if it wants.

End-to-end QoS issues are out of scope.  Providing the parameter as
optional allows the implementation to use the parameter to deal with
end-to-end QoS issues as it sees fit.

Network configurations without relays will never need hop counter.

On this basis I cannot but object that hop counter be made anything but
optional in the CLDT, CLDR and CORE messages.

--brian

Gradischnig, Klaus wrote: (Thu, 30 Aug 2001 15:43:15)
>
> Sorry, but these are not valid arguments. With these arguments the hop
> counter would have been prevented to be mandatory in (L/X)UDT(S) messages.
> Making the hop counter mandatory in SUA does not pose any interworking
> problems. The SUA can always add it with a default value, or drop it in the
> SG, if not provided/supported. 
> 
> Klaus
> 

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock
[email-masked]
http://www.openss7.org/

---
You are currently subscribed to sigtran as: [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send a blank email to [email-masked]