Subject: Re: [SUA Issue] Hop Counter

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 03:28:10 -0500

Gery,

Please see comments below...

Verwimp Gery wrote:                                (Fri, 31 Aug 2001 10:04:11)
> Klaus,
> 
> I agree with your arguments. There's no reason why SUA couldn't adopt hop
> counter as mandatory.

It is optional in SS7.

> The SCCP-user has no control over it, so there's no interface issue with
> existing applications on either SG or AS.

SCCP-User has control over hop counter in QoS Parameter Set.

> Also, when hop counter is not used in the SS7 network (strictly UDT) the NIF
> just strips it off.

How does the NIF know to strip it off?  We will need a codepoint for
hop counter which indicates that it was not provided.  It is more consistent
with other parameters in SUA to make the parameter optional rather than
provide a code point to indicate that it was not provided.

'0' cannot be used to indicate that the hop counter was not present, because
the hop counter may have been provided, but coded to 0.  What would we use?
0xff ?

> If no hop counter is received (UDT), the NIF populates it
> with zero or any value it deems fit before sending CLDT to the ASP.

Because the hop counter is never provided to the SCCP-User, the SG
never has to provide hop counter to the ASP.

> However, I could live with this parameter being optional, since the "simple"
> architectures (backhaul etc.) do not really need it. At least it's there and
> it must be handled when received !
     ^^^^ could

Please make the parameter optional for transparency and increased
interoperability.

--brian

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock
[email-masked]
http://www.openss7.org/

---
You are currently subscribed to sigtran as: [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send a blank email to [email-masked]