Subject: Re: [SUA Issue] Hop Counter

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 07:51:26 -0500

John,

John Loughney wrote:   (Wed, 29 Aug 2001 15:02:04)
> Brian,
> 
> My thinking is that Hop Counter can be present in SUA message
> (where appropriate).

No problem with hop counter in any message which corresponds to
an N-Primitive which permits it or an SCCP PDU which permits
it as a parameter.

> The value can be gotten from the SCCP layer at the SG.

It can also be obtained at the ASP from the SCCP-User.

> The value of the Hop Counter SHOULD be decremented at the SG

The hop counter need only be decremented at the SG if the
SG has a separate point code from the ASP and the SG is
performing SCCP relay (GTT).  But that is part of the SG's
SCCP functionality and should not be required by draft.
Change SHOULD to MAY.

> and any SUA-relay nodes.

What is an SUA-relay node?  What defines its behavior?

> Would that do it for you?  

Changing SHOULD to MAY would do it for me.

> Alternately, we could could say:
> 
>   An SUA implementation MAY set the value of the Hop Counter
>   to 0xFF to indicate that the (SUA) Hop Counter should be
>   ignored.

Here change "MAY" to "MUST" and "should be" to "MUST be".  Was
there some other value that the hop counter would be set to which
would indicate that the counter should be ignored?  Is it
permissible for an implementation not to ignore the hop counter
when it is set to 0xFF (i.e, decrement it to 0xfe)?

--brian

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock
[email-masked]
http://www.openss7.org/

---
You are currently subscribed to sigtran as: [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send a blank email to [email-masked]