Subject: RE: SCTP server

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 17:29:10 +0300

Hi Jacques

> SCTP is a TCP replacement.

	This is not completely true... SCTP has been designed for signaling
transport, but at the end its features were extended, so it "may" replace
TCP in the future as it gives an extended functionality over TCP, but that
wasn't the design idea, at least not initially...

> In the same way that there was no 
> "TCP server" or
> any "TCP implementation server",

	I don't really know what happened with TCP, but for SCTP there are
some publicly available implementations right now...

> why should there be one for 
> SCTP?

	Is it important? Why shouldn't?

> SCTP is
> an OSI-like

	OSI-like? This is IETF! :-)

> layer built-in inside a product just like IP, 
> UDP, TCP...etc.
> There were no "IP Servers, UDP servers..." correct?

	I don't really know why are you asking these questions... Nahar was
asking about the availability of a public implementation of SCTP, to test
his implementation against it and check that they can interoperate... That's
all...

	BR Iván Arias Rodríguez

	PS: In any case, I think that this conversation should be moved to
[email-masked]

> Jacques Rajchgod
> MCI Worldcom
> Next Generation System Evaluation
> Tel: [972] 729-1487
> E-mail: [email-masked]

---
You are currently subscribed to sigtran as: [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send a blank email to [email-masked]