Subject: SUAv8: SCTP Stream Mapping

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 19:50:19 -0500

Section 1.5.4 states:

     -    Protocol class 0: SUA SHOULD select unordered delivery. 

In fact, SS7 uses ordered delivery for protocol class 0, but
varies the SLS to ensure loadsharing.  To be transparent with SS7,
this should be changed to:

	"Protocol class 0: SUA MAY select unordered delivery.  The
	 stream selected is based on traffic information available
	 to the SGP or ASP."

-------------------
Section 1.5.4 states:

     -    Protocol class 1: SUA MUST select ordered delivery within a 
          stream, based on a sequence parameter given by the upper 
          layer over the primitive interface. 

I don't think that this statement is anywhere near what is intended:
ordered delivery is not selected on the basis of sequence parameter--
the stream is.  Further, the stream is not only selected on the basis
of sequence parameter, but also the RC, the SGP/ASP to which the message
is destined, the current loadsharing or broadcast arrangements, SGP/ASP
status, ....  Please decouple the MUST from the later part of the sentence
as follows:

	"Protoocl class 1: SUA MUST select ordered delivery.  The stream
	 selected is based upon the sequence parameter given by the upper
	 layer over the primitive interface and other traffic information
	 available to the SGP or ASP."

-------------------
Section 1.5.4 states:

     -    Protocol classes 2 and 3: SUA MUST select ordered delivery 
          within a stream, based on its own source local reference. 

As above, this should be changed to:

	"Protoocl class 2: SUA MUST select ordered delivery.  The stream
	 selected is based upon the source local reference of the connection
	 and other traffic information available to the SGP or ASP."

--brian

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock    ¦ The reasonable man adapts himself to the ¦
[email-masked]    ¦ world; the unreasonable one persists in  ¦
http://www.openss7.org/ ¦ trying  to adapt the  world  to himself. ¦
                        ¦ Therefore  all  progress  depends on the ¦
                        ¦ unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw ¦

---
You are currently subscribed to sigtran as: [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send a blank email to [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 20:49:20 +0300

Hi Brian,

> 	 stream selected is based on traffic information available

OK.

> 	 available to the SGP or ASP."

OK 

> 	 and other traffic information available to the SGP or ASP."

OK

John

---

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 20:49:18 +0300

Hi Brian,

>   "SUA SHOULD NOT use stream 0 for SUA management messages.  It is
>    OPTIONAL that sequenced delivery be used to preserve the order of
>    management message delivery."

Sure, I can make this modification.

John

---