Subject: SUAv8: Affected Point Code

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 21:21:11 -0500

Affected Point Code is a common parameter in Section 3.9.

It is described in Section 3.9.18.

It is refered to in the notes in sections 3.4.1, 3.4.2,
3.4.3, 3.4.4, 3.4.5 and (duplicate) 3.4.5.

It does not occur in the Destination Address parameter and
does not occur in any of the messages described in Sections
3.4.1, 3.4.2, 3.4.3, 3.4.4, 3.4.5 and (duplicate) 3.4.5.

It is complete unclear whether the list of Affected Point
Codes refered to in Section 3.9.18 and Section 4.5.3 ASP
Auditing applies to the point code in the Destination Address
of Sections 3.4.1, 3.4.2, 3.4.3, 3.4.4, 3.4.5 and (duplicate)
3.4.5.

This needs to be straightened out.  The rules concerning
point code in Destination Address when it occurs
in SNMM and when it occurs in other messages seem unnecessary
and it would be far better and far clearer to place only the
Affected Point Code parameter and Subsystem Number in SNMM
messages rather than including the Destination Address
parameter.

Replace "Destination Address" in sections 3.4.1, 3.4.2, 3.4.3,
3.4.4, 3.4.5 and (duplicate) 3.4.5. with the "Affected Point
Code" parameter of section 3.9.18.  Renumber Affected Point
Code parameter to match the common Affected Point Code parameter
common to M3UA and SUA.  Add "Subsystem Number" as a parameter
to SNMM messages in sections 3.4.1, 3.4.2, 3.4.3, 3.4.4, 3.4.5
and (duplicate) 3.4.5.  Add back the SSN parameter that was
removed from the Parameters section.

Then the existing text in sections 3.9, 3.9.18 and 4.5.3 will
be consistent.

This was discussed in Issue 26 at Last Call.

--brian

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock    ¦ The reasonable man adapts himself to the ¦
[email-masked]    ¦ world; the unreasonable one persists in  ¦
http://www.openss7.org/ ¦ trying  to adapt the  world  to himself. ¦
                        ¦ Therefore  all  progress  depends on the ¦
                        ¦ unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw ¦

---
You are currently subscribed to sigtran as: [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send a blank email to [email-masked]