Subject: M3UA v9: M3UA Peer Management Messages

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 16:43:06 -0500

Section 4.2.1 says:

  All Non-Transfer messages, except BEAT and BEAT Ack, SHOULD be sent 
  with sequenced delivery to ensure ordering.  All Non-Transfer 
  messages, with the exception of ASPTM, BEAT and BEAT Ack messages, 
  SHOULD be sent on SCTP stream '0'.  ASPTM messages MAY be sent on 
  one of the streams used to carry the data traffic related to the 
  Routing Context(s), to minimize possible message loss.  BEAT and 
  BEAT Ack messages MAY be sent using out-of-order delivery, and MAY 
  be sent on any stream.

I presume that by "Non-Transfer" messages you mean messages other
than "DATA".  This SHOULD is not correct.  Any SNMM message can clearly
be sent unordered.

Also, there is no reason to send SNMM on SCTP stream '0' as is
recommended by the text.  SNMM should if anything be synchronized
with DATA messages for the RC to which they apply.  That is, 
they are better sent on the stream which corresponds to the RC
(traffic flow) to which they apply.

Therefore neither SHOULD is correct.

--brian

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock    ¦ The reasonable man adapts himself to the ¦
[email-masked]    ¦ world; the unreasonable one persists in  ¦
http://www.openss7.org/ ¦ trying  to adapt the  world  to himself. ¦
                        ¦ Therefore  all  progress  depends on the ¦
                        ¦ unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw ¦

---
You are currently subscribed to sigtran as: [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send a blank email to [email-masked]