Subject: RE: Upper Limit

From: "Schantz, John" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 07:23:17 -0700

Vaibhav,
 
I number of networks an SG can belong to is an implementation issue.
 
Its clear that most people in this group don't understand what the two
bit network indicator is.  It is not a real network indicator.  It is a
LOCAL network value used to imply the encoding of the SS7 message.  I
can't stress LOCAL enough in this statement.  Its meaning is invalid
outside of the network that it is specified in.  Most networks use the
"National" value for this field, independent of the protocol variant
used in the network.  A few networks use the "International" value
because they were using the ITU standard.  I know of one situation where
one value means that the point codes in the messages are 14 bits and
another value means that the point codes are 24 bits.  Different
networks use it differently. 
 
John

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, October 18, 2001 11:28 PM
To: sigtran
Subject: Upper Limit

Hi
 
    Is there any upper limit on the number of networks(national or
international) to which a SG can belong to? Does it depend on the two
bit network indicator value(so the max value is 4) or are there some
other parameters?
 
Regards
Vaibhav

---
You are currently subscribed to sigtran as: [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send a blank email to [email-masked]