Subject: correction for interop test cases for m2pa

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2001 15:59:06 +0530

Hi,
             There is some problem regarding these test case (they are not
confirming the m2pa03).
              See my comments below >>
           I have tried to describe the correct test case
           Please update the HTML page consisting the Test Suite.

Test: A3
Title: Link Deactivation

The Correct test case should be
Process: Align a link between two nodes. Have one side send a ABORT the
association.
                     Use a packet sniffer to watch for the ABORT of the SCTP
association.
                     Link should go back to OOS on both ends(To RETRIVAL if link
 state is INSERVICE).
                    This test should be done before any data is transmitted as
changeover is covered in a later test.
                    The test driver should be set so that it doesn't attempt an
automatic changeover.
Variations: Alternate the end that ABORT Association.
                          If we use STOP LINK than try to do STOP link at
various States and the results expected fro this test is::
                           STOP when Stack State is INservice take M2PA to
RETRIVAL and in any other state M2PA goes to OOS(association remain alive).

>> There is no cause to ABORT SCTP Association on STOP LINK.

Test: B4
Title: Link Changeover I (Basic)

The Correct test case should be
Process: Establish a link and begin data transmission. Disconnect a cable to
break the link. After a while, the ends should detect the link goes to retrval .
                       When the sides receive the Link State is RETRIVAL, record
 the BSNT and sequence numbers sent/received.
                       Manually exchange the BSNT values and enter retrieval
requests. Examine the internal message sequence numbers to check for any gaps.
Variations: Tune SCTP parameters for an acceptable detection interval.
                           Either establish two links in opposite directions or
reverse the data generation/echo ends and repeat.

>> When Link State is INSERVICE and get ENDPOINTDOWN indication. Link goes to
RETRIVAL not to Out of Service.

Test: B5
Title: Link Changeover II (Basic)

The Correct test case should be
Process: Establish a link and begin data transmission. Tell one side that it is
in local processor outage.
                      Remain in that state until the other side ABORT the link.
When the sides receive the LINK state is RETRIVAL,
                      record the BSNT and sequence numbers sent/received.
Manually exchange the BSNT values and enter retrieval requests.
                      Compare internal message sequence numbers to check for any
 gaps.
Variations: Reverse ends and repeat.
>> Again the same problem STOP does not mean ABORT to SCTP.
      Link goes to RETRIVAL not to Out of Service

Test: B6
Title: Link Changeover III (Basic)

The Correct test case should be
Process: Establish a link and begin data transmissions. Tell the test driver
(ULP) on one side to stop accepting messages.
                      Eventually, that end will send a busy to the other end.
After more delay, the T6 Timer will expire on the far end and the link goes to
RETRIVAL.
                      , record the BSNT and sequence numbers sent/received.
Manually exchange the
                      BSNT values and enter retrieval requests. Compare internal
 message sequence numbers to check for any gaps.
                      This simulates what could happen if the MTP3 layer should
fail.
Variations:
>> After T6 expiry link goes to RETRIVAL (because previous state is INSERVICE,
figure 6 m2pa03).

Test: B9
Title: Link Changeover II (Full)

The Correct test case should be
Process: Establish links as in "Dual Network Data Transmission". Tell one side
that it is in local processor outage for one of the links.
                     Remain in that state until the other side ABORT the link.
When the sides receive the association down indication it goes to RETRIVAL,
                     record the BSNT and sequence numbers send/received. The
test drivers should perform a changeover and all messages on
                     the failed link will be sent on the other link.
Variations:
>>    There is a common problem accross all the test cases
           1. when Link State is INSERVICE and gets MTP3 STOP , SCTP Comm ERROR,
 SCTP Comm Lost or T6 expiry Link goes to
                 RETRIVAL not to Out of service. It will go to Out Of Service
when Retrival is completed or gets MTP3 Start.( see figure 6)
           2.  We never close association, ( STOP LINK does not mean ABORT the
association)

with regards
manish sharma

---
You are currently subscribed to sigtran as: [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send a blank email to [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2001 14:44:36 +0530

Hi Tom,

see my comments>>>>

Tom George <[email-masked]> on 10/27/2001 02:17:08 AM

To:   Manish Sharma/HSS@HSS
cc:

Subject:  Re: correction for interop test cases for m2pa

I think in B4, B5, B6 and B9 there is just a misunderstanding about the
state. M2PA sends MTP3 a Link Out of Service indication. MTP3 does not
know about the Retrieval state in M2PA.

>> Tom we have taken Retrieval as internal state of m2pa Link , as
   you also told MTP3 does not understand it (and MTP2 don't have such
    state) so why don't omit this state and simply take only Out of
    Service.

According to M2PA version 3, an MTP3 Stop while the link is in service
causes M2PA to abort the link.
>> again my impression is not to take association down.

[email-masked] wrote:
  [...]

--
* Tom George        972-519-3168         [email-masked]   *
* PB2-1323       Intranet:  http://www.ssd.usa.alcatel.com/~tgeorge/  *
* Alcatel USA, Inc.; 1000 Coit Rd, MS PB2-STPA; Plano TX 75075-5813   *
* I actively disclaim speaking for Alcatel USA, Inc. I do not purport *
* to advertise or represent its position,  operations, or activities. *

---