Subject: M3UA v9: Receipt of Primitive from the M3UA-User

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 16:24:41 -0500

Section 4.1.1 states:

  In addition, the message needs to be sent on the appropriate SCTP 
  stream, again taking care to meet the message sequencing needs of the 
  signalling application. DATA messages SHOULD be sent on an SCTP stream
  other than stream '0'.

I thought that we had agreed to move this "SHOULD" to a "MUST" so that
applications did not have to look for DATA messages on stream "0".

Please change "SHOULD" to "MUST".

--brian

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock    ¦ The reasonable man adapts himself to the ¦
[email-masked]    ¦ world; the unreasonable one persists in  ¦
http://www.openss7.org/ ¦ trying  to adapt the  world  to himself. ¦
                        ¦ Therefore  all  progress  depends on the ¦
                        ¦ unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw ¦

---
You are currently subscribed to sigtran as: [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send a blank email to [email-masked]

---

From: Greg Sidebottom <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 15:20:15 -0400

Hi Brian,

See thread started from Tim Vetter "RE: M3UA: DATA message should never be
sent on stream 0" on Sept. 27th - there was discussion between yourself and
Tim in which "SHOULD" was agreed.  A MUST seems too strong for me as it
would not allow a single stream implementation.

Cheers,

    Greg

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
To: "sigtran" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, October 11, 2001 5:24 PM
Subject: M3UA v9: Receipt of Primitive from the M3UA-User

Section 4.1.1 states:

--brian

---
You are currently subscribed to sigtran as: [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send a blank email to
[email-masked]

---

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 23:15:12 +0300

Hi Greg,

> See thread started from Tim Vetter "RE: M3UA: DATA message 
> should never be sent on stream 0" on Sept. 27th - there was 
> discussion between yourself and Tim in which "SHOULD" was 
> agreed.  A MUST seems too strong for me as it

I agree.  Lets close this, without any changes.

John

---

---

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 17:52:00 -0500

John,

Can we please restrict it futher to only allow stream '0' data
for single stream implementations?

--brian

John Loughney wrote:                                         (Tue, 16 Oct 2001 23:15:12)
> You are currently subscribed to sigtran as: [email-masked]

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock
[email-masked]
http://www.openss7.org/

---

---

From: Greg Sidebottom <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 01:25:27 -0400

Brian,

It seems artificial to restrict this any further as IMHO it doesn't extend
interoperability.  An implementation that accepts stream '0' data is fully
interoperable with any "single-" or "multi-stream" implementations in this
regard.  An implementation that supports more than one stream won't use
stream '0' based on the current "SHOULD" recommendation, unless it has a
very good reason.

Besides, maybe there will be other reasons for a sender to use stream '0'
data in the future.  Why disallow it?

Cheers,

   Greg

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
To: "sigtran" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, October 16, 2001 6:52 PM
Subject: Re: M3UA v9: Receipt of Primitive from the M3UA-User

---

---

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 01:03:58 -0500

Greg,

Greg Sidebottom wrote:                                       (Wed, 17 Oct 2001 01:25:27)
> data in the future.  Why disallow it?

The way that the SCTP sockets draft has gone, it is possible to "peel-off"
a stream as a separate socket interface.  Similar approaches are possible
in STREAMS and others.  The thing sitting at the end of stream '0' may
be fully incapable of processing DATA or SNMM messages and only capable
of processing ASPTM/SM.  The process sitting at the end of the stream '0'
may have much greater priviledges than one sitting at the end of another
stream.

Now certainly for a single stream implementation, a peeled stream '0'
is the only stream to send DATA on.  (I can't imagine why one would
want to do this, however: it rather defeats the purpose of using SCTP
in the first place...)

Could we maybe approach this from a different direction an say that:

	An SGP or ASP MAY discard DATA or SNMM messages received on
	stream '0'.  Therefore, an SGP or ASP SHOULD NOT send DATA or
	SNMM messages on stream '0'.

As long as it is clearly state that an implementation is permitted to
ignore DATA and SNMM that arrive erroneously on stream '0', that would
resolve the issue.

--brian

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock
[email-masked]
http://www.openss7.org/

---