Subject: SUAv8: AMF

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 19:21:34 -0500

Section 1.2 says:

   Address Mapping Function (AMF) - The AMF is an implementation 
   dependent function that is responsible for resolving the address 
   presented in the incoming SCCP/SUA message to correct SCTP 
   association for the desired endpoint. The AMF MAY use routing 
   context / rouging key information as selection criteria for the 
   appropriate SCTP association. 

where section 1.5.2 says

   To direct messages to the SS7 network, the ASP MUST perform an 
   address mapping to choose the proper SGP for a given message.  This 
   is accomplished by observing the Destination Point Code and other 
   elements of the outgoing message, SS7 network status, SGP 
   availability, and Routing Context configuration tables. 

One passage seems to say that AMF MAY be peformed using routing
information, the other seems to say that it MUST be peformed.
Which is it?

These two paragraphs are confusing.  Certainly our disccussions
has shown that it is sufficient to know the handle of the SCCP/SCCP-User
interface (i.e., the RC) to determine which AS the message is destined
to or originating from.  Selection of SGP or ASP is then based on
traffic mode for the AS and the status of the various SGP and ASPs
serving the AS.  This does not require an AMF.  AMF should be completely
optional.

Change the "MUST" in section 1.5.2. to "MAY".

--brian

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock    ¦ The reasonable man adapts himself to the ¦
[email-masked]    ¦ world; the unreasonable one persists in  ¦
http://www.openss7.org/ ¦ trying  to adapt the  world  to himself. ¦
                        ¦ Therefore  all  progress  depends on the ¦
                        ¦ unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw ¦

---
You are currently subscribed to sigtran as: [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send a blank email to [email-masked]