Subject: SUAv8: SCTP Stream Mapping

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 19:35:45 -0500

Section 1.5.4 states:

   SUA SHOULD use stream 0 for SUA management messages. It is 
   RECOMMENDED that sequenced delivery be used to preserve the order of 
   management message delivery. 

This recommendation is unnecessary.  SCCP management messages are
not reliabiliy delivered and have both directed and responsive
procedures.  Preservation of order of SCCP management messages is
not necessary.  Whether unordered delivery meets the needs of SUA
management messages is a characteristic of the intervening network
which is outside the scope of SUA.  SUA management messages that
derive from SCCP management message may need to be synchronized with
the SCCP-User messages to meet the expectations of the SCCP-User.
Because of that, it may be fully necessary for SUA management messages
to be sent on the same stream as SUA data messages.

Because the expectations of the SCCP-User must be met at the ASP
and the SG is selects SCTP stream for most management messages, it
is likely that the best situation is the opposite as that described:

  "SUA SHOULD NOT use stream 0 for SUA management messages.  It is
   OPTIONAL that sequenced delivery be used to preserve the order of
   management message delivery."

--brian

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock    ¦ The reasonable man adapts himself to the ¦
[email-masked]    ¦ world; the unreasonable one persists in  ¦
http://www.openss7.org/ ¦ trying  to adapt the  world  to himself. ¦
                        ¦ Therefore  all  progress  depends on the ¦
                        ¦ unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw ¦

---
You are currently subscribed to sigtran as: [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send a blank email to [email-masked]