Subject: M3UA v9: Notify Procedures

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 15:57:17 -0500

Section 4.3.4.6 says:

  A Notify message reflecting a change in the AS state MUST be sent to 
  all ASPs in the AS, except those in the ASP-DOWN state, with
  appropriate Status Information and any ASP Identifier of the failed 
  ASP.  At the ASP, Layer Management is informed with an M-NOTIFY 
  indication primitive.  The Notify message must be sent whether the 
  AS state change was a result of an ASP failure or reception of an 
  ASP State management (ASPSM) / ASP Traffic Management (ASPTM) 
  message.  In the second case, the Notify message MUST be sent after 
  any related acknowledgement messages  (e.g., ASP Up Ack, ASP Down 
  Ack, ASP Active Ack, or ASP Inactive Ack). 

Which "second case"?

Further, the question is still begged as to whether NOTIFY messages
are sent to an ASP when it goes UP even though AS state has not
changed.

--brian

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock    ¦ The reasonable man adapts himself to the ¦
[email-masked]    ¦ world; the unreasonable one persists in  ¦
http://www.openss7.org/ ¦ trying  to adapt the  world  to himself. ¦
                        ¦ Therefore  all  progress  depends on the ¦
                        ¦ unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw ¦

---
You are currently subscribed to sigtran as: [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send a blank email to [email-masked]

---

From: Greg Sidebottom <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 14:47:41 -0400

Hi Brian,

Responses below ...

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
To: "sigtran" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, October 11, 2001 4:57 PM
Subject: M3UA v9: Notify Procedures

Section 4.3.4.6 says:

Which "second case"?

[Greg]  It could be much clearer but the previous sentence had two "cases"
for the SG sending a Notify:

   1) AS state change as a result detection of remote ASP failure,
   2) AS state change initiated by an ASP ASPSM or ASPTM message.

I guess the only use for the distinction is that only in the second case
will there be an Ack message.  I think it was brought up in the bay-cough
issues that any Ack should be sent first so the ASP that sent the message
knows the success of its request before seeing the Notify.  But the text is
probably fine without the "In the second case," clause.  Do you want to
remove the clause or is there another error?

--brian

[Greg] I'd say a Notify is not necessary if the AS state has not changed.
Do you see a use a Notify in this case or do you just want to see it
clarified?

Cheers,

   Greg

---

---

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 17:39:48 -0500

Greg,

I was just looking for clarification in the passage.  Perhaps a 
little rewording here would make things clearer.

--brian

Greg Sidebottom wrote:                                       (Tue, 16 Oct 2001 14:47:41)
> You are currently subscribed to sigtran as: [email-masked]

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock
[email-masked]
http://www.openss7.org/

---