Subject: m3ua 10, sua 9: stream mapping

From: Andrew Booth <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2001 14:36:26 -0500

Hi,

In SUA draft 9 section 1.5.4 :

SUA SHOULD NOT use stream 0 for SUA Mangement messages

This "SHOULD NOT" looks like a typo.  In the same draft, section 4.2.1:
All non-Transfer messages, [snip], MUST be sent on SCTP stream '0'.

In M3UA 10 there are additional comments on stream mapping of DUNA,
DAVA, SCON, etc
in section 4.5.1, which do not seem to be present in SUA draft 9.

Andrew

---
You are currently subscribed to sigtran as: [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send a blank email to [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 04:10:16 +0200

Hi Andres,

> This "SHOULD NOT" looks like a typo.  In the same draft, 
> section 4.2.1: All non-Transfer messages, [snip], MUST be sent 
> on SCTP stream '0'.

Good catch.

> DAVA, SCON, etc in section 4.5.1, which do not seem to be present 
> in SUA draft 9.

That was added in M3UA v10, I think.  I didn't catch this in SUA.
Do you think that this would be useful in SUA?

thanks,
John

---

---

From: Andrew Booth <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 12:36:03 -0500

Hi John,

Attached is a short list of stream mapping discrepancies between M3UA 10 and SUA 9,
mostly concerning MUST vs SHOULD.

I was mistaken about the DUNA/DAVA/SCON text in 4.5.1, it seems to be the same in
both drafts.  Sorry about that.

Andrew

[email-masked] wrote:

> You are currently subscribed to sigtran as: [email-masked]

The description of the Invalid Parameter Value error does not seem to be
present in SUA section 3.9.12.

M3UA 3.8.1:  This parameter description seems to overlap with the 
   desctiption of the "Invalid Stream Identifier" error:

   The " Invalid Parameter Value " error is sent if a message is received 
   with an invalid parameter value (e.g., a DUPU message was received with 
   a Mask value other than "0" or a Data message was received on stream
   "0").

Below are some discrepancies of SHOULD vs MUST for stream mapping between the
M3UA and SUA drafts.

M3UA 4.1.1:
   DATA messages MUST be sent on an SCTP stream
   other than stream '0'.

SUA 4.1.1:

   DATA messages SHOULD be sent on an SCTP 
   stream other than stream '0'. 

M3UA 4.2.1:

   All Non-Transfer 
   messages, with the exception of ASPTM, BEAT and BEAT Ack messages, 
   SHOULD be sent on SCTP stream '0'.

SUA 4.2.1:

   All non-Transfer 
   messages, with the exception of ASPTM, BEAT and BEAT Ack messages 
   MUST be sent on SCTP stream '0'.  ASPTM messages MAY be sent on one 

---