Subject: [M3UA] Use of NA parameter

From: Fred Griffoul <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2001 11:20:08 +0100 (Romance Standard Time)

Dear all,

in draft-ietf-sigtran-m3ua-10.txt, section 3.7.1 (ASP Active), it
is stated that:

"Because an AS can only appear in one Network Appearance, the Network
Appearance parameter is not required in the ASP Active message".

So if the ASP carries traffic to a Gateway connected to multiple SS7
networks, the Routing Context shall uniquely identify the targeted
SS7 network. In other words the Routing Context is not assigned per
SS7 node but globally. In this case, the Network Appearance is
useless.

On the other hand, the DATA message may include both the Network
Appearance and the Routing Context. To me it sounds like the protocol
would be more consistent if it would always require the Network
Appearance parameter in case of connection to multiple SS7 networks
in the ASPAC/ASPIA message or if it would not include the Network
Appearance in the DATA message.

What am I missing ?

Best regards,

Fred G.

---
You are currently subscribed to sigtran as: [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send a blank email to [email-masked]

---

From: Vipin Gupta <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2001 19:40:18 +0800

Fred,

An RC identifies a routing key of an AS. Network Appearance is part of a
Routing Key, so it is not required to send Network appearance in messages
having RC. If an AS can serve more than one network appearance at the
same time then in my opinion it should be partitioned into more than one AS
for the SG so that the traffic can be routed to it from those networks.

--Vipin
Software Engineer
Hughes Software Systems
[email-masked]
+91 124 6346666

----- Original Message -----
From: "Fred Griffoul" <[email-masked]>
To: "sigtran" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, December 06, 2001 6:20 PM
Subject: [M3UA] Use of NA parameter

> You are currently subscribed to sigtran as: [email-masked]
> To unsubscribe send a blank email to
[email-masked]

---

---

From: Vairagare Nitin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2001 12:42:21 -0500

Fred,

I agree with you. Here we are talking of two contradictory points

  1) Routing context is golabl and not per Network Appearance
  2) Routing context is not unique on SG, so it needs NA to resolve
     addressing.

If we consider point 1 as valid, then NA is usless parameter
and will not be required in any messages that have RC.
If we consider NA as part of RK (including NI and SI as part of RK)
and thereby RC, then RC itself can solve the purpose of resloving
network routing. So we do not need NA at all. Are there any
circumstances in this situation where we will need both NA and RC?

The second point implies, RK is per NA and hence RC is not unique
at SG. Then SG will need NA + RC to resolve routing issues of
partioned network. And since RC itself cannot uniquely identify
destination in partioned networks so we need to send RC+NA. And
it should be consitent for all messages.

The sentence:
 "Because an AS can only appear in one Network Appearance, the Network
 Appearance parameter is not required in the ASP Active message"

Implies that AS->RK->RC is unique and belongs to one NA

For an example, where SG appears as an element in multiple
seperate national ss7 networks and same signalling PC value is reused
in different networks.

  How is SG going to identify without NA for which RC-network ASP-Active
  is received without sending NA? Note that one ASP can serve multiple
  networks over one SCTP association that is why/how we have defined
  Network Appearance.

Something is missing....????

Regards,
Nitin

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Fred Griffoul
Sent: Thursday, December 06, 2001 5:20 AM
To: sigtran
Subject: [M3UA] Use of NA parameter

Dear all,

What am I missing ?

Best regards,

Fred G.

---
You are currently subscribed to sigtran as: [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send a blank email to
[email-masked]

---

---

From: Tolga Asveren <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2001 09:57:20 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

Please see comments below.

  Tolga
--- Vairagare Nitin <[email-masked]>
> and will not be required in any messages that have
[TOLGA] Point1 is valid. For that you can refer to the
long discussion on threads M3UA09:Network Appearence"
and "M3UA07:RC in DATA and SSNM messages". NA was kept
there to have a consensus among different people.
> You are currently subscribed to sigtran as:
> [email-masked]

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Send your FREE holiday greetings online!
http://greetings.yahoo.com

---