Subject: m2pa SCTP-Assoc doubt

From: Arun Prasad <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 16:39:36 +0530

Hi all,

   In the "draft-ietf-sigtran-m2pa-03"  section 4.1.2 :

Each combination of client IP address/port and server IP address/port
(i.e., each association) must be mapped to the same Signaling Link
Code (SLC) in the client and server, so that each endpoint knows which
link is being created at the time the SCTP association is
established.

    When M2PA is implemented over SCTP, then the above lines creates some
querries.... Is it really worth to have multiple SCTP Associations(which is mapped
to the SS7 links) ... ie., when there are 3 Ip-Address in an m2pa-host, according the
draft... 3 Associations are are created between HostA and HostB.... Only in this
case,  we need all the changeover procedure stated in the draft......

    The doubt here is...  why cant we use the Multihoming feature of SCTP .
 To be more precise... between two M2PA hosts, there will
be only one SCTP Association (even though we have multiple Interfaces in both
the Hosts,  the SCTP Association will be configured to have all the Interface
address)....  In this case, if any interface in the SCTP Association goes down,
SCTP will itself changes the data flow to the the next path available...
    I think, In the draft this is the aim for Multiple Associations and changeover
procedure... This way the M2PA module doesnt have to do any changeover
procedure... This way we are restricting M2PA to have only one SS7 LINK (one
SCTP Association) ... and acheiving the "Multiple Links" purpose....

    Is the argument valid????

Thanks
-arun

---
You are currently subscribed to sigtran as: [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send a blank email to [email-masked]