Subject: What is the purpose of NG STP?

From: Patrick Lam <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 13:20:29 -0800

Hi:

Thanks so very much to all the responses I have got from my last post.
They are extremely helpful for my research work ....

Now, I am a little confused with another question .... I am so confused
that I am not even sure I am asking a legitimate question here .... :)
If my qeustions don't make sense at all, please let me know .....

What exactly is a Next Generation STP???

To my understanding, an NG-STP functions like a traditional circuit
based STP, but is "purely" based on SIGTRAN.  Am I right?

Or does it refer to all the SS7/IP Gateways out there, sitting on the
edges of the LEC's?

To my understanding, the real purpose of SIGTRAN is to leverage the
functionalities of MTPs (link management and route management, etc.).
Right?

But then those functionalities do not make much sense in the IP-based
world, because in the IP-based world, one can (or usually does)
communicate end-to-end.  We can't do much link or route management, can
we?  In other words, we don't use (or at least don't need) a middle
point such as a STP any more.  Then why would we need "pure"
SIGTRAN-based (or IP-based) NG-STPs?

Assuming that someday the whole SS7 network will be replaced by IP-based
networks, do we still need "IP-based" STPs?

Finally, is there already an established NG-STPs out there being used by
large carriers?

Thanks so very much in advance.  Any suggestions will be very much
appreciated.

Patrick.

---
You are currently subscribed to sigtran as: [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send a blank email to [email-masked]