Subject: M3UA 10 : Routing Key Diagram

From: "Vats, Umesh" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 15:00:51 -0800

Hi  All

In the explanation of Routing Key, following diagram is given
in the section 3.6.1 of M3UA draft 10,

    0                   1                   2                   3
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |                       Local-RK-Identifier                     |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |                  Traffic Mode Type (optional)                 |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |                     Destination Point Code                    |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |                  Network Appearance (optional)                |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |                  Service Indicators (optional)                |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |              Originating Point Code List (optional)           |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |                   Circuit Range List (optional)               |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   \                                                               \
   /                              ...                              /
   \                                                               \
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |                     Destination Point Code                    |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |                  Service Indicators (optional)                |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |              Originating Point Code List (optional)           |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |                   Circuit Range List (optional)               |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

In the picture above, multiple DPCs are given. 
Is this possible or there is error in  the diagram. In the definition of
routing key, it is mentioned that one routing key is valid for just one
SPMC.

Umesh

---
You are currently subscribed to sigtran as: [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send a blank email to [email-masked]

---

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 18:10:19 -0600

Umesh,

An SPMC can have more the one DPC.  This is to accomodate an SPMC
with "alias" point codes.

--brian

Vats, Umesh wrote:                                            (Wed, 12 Dec 2001 15:00:51)

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock
[email-masked]
http://www.openss7.org/

---

---

From: Kim Fisker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 10:56:13 -0500

Brian,

If I remember correctly "alias" point codes is an STP concept, where
an STP pair share an SCCP end-point (alias point code), in order to make
the SCCP overlay network more robust (loss of any single STP does not
cause loss of the "alias" point code with the GTT function). How does
"alias" point codes apply to an AS?

To me it makes more sense that every AS belongs to 1 point code. Just think
about the SPMC function if indeed several point codes exist at an AS.

Kim

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian F. G. Bidulock [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, December 12, 2001 7:10 PM
To: sigtran
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: M3UA 10 : Routing Key Diagram

Umesh,

--brian

Vats, Umesh wrote:                                            (Wed, 12 Dec
2001 15:00:51)

--
Brian F. G. Bidulock
[email-masked]
http://www.openss7.org/

---
You are currently subscribed to sigtran as: [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send a blank email to
[email-masked]

---

---

From: Kim Fisker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 13:57:46 -0500

Brian,

I completely agree in the benefits of supporting multiple point
codes in SSP's, MGC's, .., but I viewed it as accomplished by having
multiple AS's (logical entities). The benefit being that availability
as part of the SS7 network is clearly defined (point code
available/accessible
goes hand in hand with the AS). If multiple point codes reside at
an AS, the point code status (except congestion) from the SS7 network
perspective must be the same for all the point codes at the AS. Right?

Kim

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian F. G. Bidulock [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, December 14, 2001 1:19 PM
To: Kim Fisker
Cc: sigtran
Subject: Re: M3UA 10 : Routing Key Diagram

Kim,

Actually, "alias" point codes is not the only place where this is
useful.  It is common to have multiple point codes on SSP to be
able to represent a larger range of CIC and support more circuits.
The same could be true for large MGC.  The WG concensus on multiple
point codes for SPMC led to this change based on comments made
by Maria-Cruz.  There is little point in restricting registration
to single point codes as you suggest.  If an SG is incapable of
registering multiple point codes in a routing key, it has all the
error messages it needs to respond.

--brian

Kim Fisker wrote:                                 (Fri, 14 Dec 2001
10:56:13)
> You are currently subscribed to sigtran as: [email-masked]

--
Brian F. G. Bidulock
[email-masked]
http://www.openss7.org/

---

---

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 14:15:30 -0600

Kim,

There is no point to duplicating SNMM and other AS management
for SPMC having multiple point codes.  Multiple point codes
in REG REQ was the concensus.  There is really no issue here.
If you prefer to not support multiple point codes per SPMC on
your implementation, don't.  Other implementations are still
free to support them.

--brian

Kim Fisker wrote:                           (Fri, 14 Dec 2001 13:57:46)

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock
[email-masked]
http://www.openss7.org/

---