Subject: [Sigtran] Suggested New Test Cases for draft-bidulock-sigtran-m2pa-test-02.ps

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 08:02:23 -0400

Hello Brian,

Suggested New Test Cases for draft-bidulock-sigtran-m2pa-test-02.ps

1. Receive message having invalid SCTP payload (e.g. not 5).
2. Receive message having unsupported M2PA version.
3. Receive message having unsupported M2PA class.
4. Receive message having unsupported M2PA type.
5. Receive message having M2PA and SCTP length mismatch.
6. Receive user data message of greater than (273+1+16=) 290 bytes.
7. Receive link status message having invalid length.
8. Verify LSR is sent periodically until LSR is received or OOS.
9. Verify LSB is sent periodically until busy clears.
10.Verify LSPO is sent periodically until PO clears.

Regards,

Jeff

_______________________________________________
Sigtran mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sigtran

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 08:03:18 -0400

---------------------- Forwarded by Jeffrey Craig/Raleigh/TEKELEC on
09/19/2002 08:06 AM ---------------------------

"Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]> on 09/18/2002 07:15:00 PM

Please respond to [email-masked]

To:    [email-masked]
cc:
Subject:    Re: Suggested New Test Cases for
       draft-bidulock-sigtran-m2pa-test-02.ps

Jeffrey,

> 1. Receive message having invalid SCTP payload (e.g. not 5).

I take it you mean not 5 and not 0.  How would this test case
proceed?  Something along these lines:

    PT                                            IUT
    Link In Service - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Link In Service

                      MSG  [PPI != 5 && != 0]
                   ---------------------------->

   (1)  The test begins with the PT and IUT in the in service
        state.

   (2)  Send an SCTP message with PPI not equal to 5 or 0 to the IUT.

   (3)  Verify that the link stays in service.

Kind of a useless test if you ask me, but I can add it.

> 7. Receive link status message having invalid length.

These could be added to the unexpected message sequences in the
existing tests.

> 6. Receive user data message of greater than (273+1+16=) 290 bytes.

M2PA does not restrict user data messages to these limits.  M2PA
permits the MTP3b 3094 or even higher lengths.

> 8. Verify LSR is sent periodically until LSR is received or OOS.

LSR is not sent periodically in M2PA.

> 10.Verify LSPO is sent periodically until PO clears.

It is not a requirement to send LSB, LSPO periodically (only a
recommendation).  Anyway, there is no period specified in the M2PA
draft upon which to establish a test.  Perhasps these lines from the
draft should be struck.  Either the recommendation should be struck
from M2PA, or M2PA must provide a period.

--brian

--
Brian F. G. Bidulock    ¦ The reasonable man adapts himself to the ¦
[email-masked]    ¦ world; the unreasonable one persists in  ¦
http://www.openss7.org/ ¦ trying  to adapt the  world  to himself. ¦
                        ¦ Therefore  all  progress  depends on the ¦
                        ¦ unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw ¦