Subject: [Sigtran] M2PA : FSN value in Zero Data Acks

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 09:47:38 +0530

Hi,

M2PA Draft v6 says that...

"If there is no other User Data message to be sent when there is a
message to acknowledge, M2PA may send a User Data message with no data
payload. The FSN for this empty User Data message is incremented as
with any other User Data message."

If M2PA would increment the Sequence Number for the Data Ack also. The Peer
would need to acknowledge this New Dummy Ack.
This would end up in a recursive cycle where M2PA peers would be continuously
exchanging Zero Data Acks whenever there is no Data to be sent across the Link.
Since SCTP already provides the heartbeat mechanism, this exchange would be a
waste of network bandwidth.

Shouldn't we keep the FSN value of the Zero Data Ack same as that of the Last
Message sent. The Peer then would not need to acknowledge this Zero Data ack.

Regards
Anshoo.
www.hssworld.com

DISCLAIMER: This message is proprietary to Hughes Software Systems
Limited (HSS) and is intended solely for the use of the individual
to whom it is addressed. It may contain  privileged or confidential
information  and should not be circulated or used for any purpose other
than for what it is intended. If you have received this message in error,
please notify the originator immediately. If you are not the intended
recipient, you are notified that you are strictly prohibited from using,
copying, altering, or disclosing the contents of this message. HSS accepts
no responsibility for loss or damage arising from the use of the information
transmitted by this email including damage from virus.

_______________________________________________
Sigtran mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sigtran

---

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 00:38:22 -0600

Anshoo,

Andrew Booth already brought this up about a week ago on the
list.  I think that we all agree that the FSN should not be
incremented on the zero length DATA message used as an ack.

--brian

[email-masked] wrote:                           (Thu, 12 Sep 2002 09:47:38)

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock
[email-masked]
http://www.openss7.org/