Subject: Re: [Sigtran] M3UA : Multiple SGPs in SG

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 10:30:27 +0530

Umesh some comments

It all depends on how SG is implemented.If SS7 node adjacent to SG is
routing traffic to SGP without making any assumptions of inter SGP routing
then routing of traffic to AS ultimately depends on the number of active
associations capable of handling traffic for AS corresponding to SGP.In
this case scope of n+k redundancy is valid corresponding to SGP i.e number
of active associations of ASP's (of AS) with single SGP(of SG), which
should be n to handle traffic for AS. For this scenario your ORD options
are valid for both the points.Now if SS7 node adjacent to SG is routing
traffic to SGP without caring whether the traffic for AS is ultimately
routed through active associations of ASP's (of AS) with SGP1 or SGP2 or
SGP3 which may involve inter SGP routing then scope of n+k redundancy is
valid corresponding to SG i.e number of active associations of ASP's (of
AS) with any SGP in the SG.For this scenario first options of your two
points are appropriate. Ultimately it all depends on how you view and
implement SG.

Regards
Kamesh
Hughes Software Systems

"Umesh Vats" <[email-masked]>@ietf.org on 06/04/2003 09:48:07 PM

Please respond to <[email-masked]>

Sent by:    [email-masked]

To:    <[email-masked]>
cc:

Subject:    [Sigtran] M3UA : Multiple SGPs in SG

I have some queries for the case, where an SG comprises of three SGPs
and connected with 4 ASPs.

Each ASP is connected with each SGP.
So the list of associtions is :

 SGP1 : ASP1 (Assoc1), ASP2 (Assoc2), ASP3 (Assoc3), ASP4 (Assoc4)
 SGP2 : ASP1 (Assoc5), ASP2 (Assoc6), ASP3 (Assoc7), ASP4 (Assoc8)
 SGP3 : ASP1 (Assoc9), ASP2 (Assoc10), ASP3 (Assoc11), ASP4 (Assoc12)

1. AS in n+k redundancy mode : Suppose we configure n as 3.
                   Now suppose ASP1 goes ACTIVE for all three SGPs.
                   Does this mean that :

                   n=3 limit is reached and AS should be made active.(e.g.
                   this may mean that ASP is capable handling traffic
                   otherwise it would have gone ACTIVE only via one SGP)
                                     OR
                   n=1 limit is reached. At least two more ASPs need to
                   go ACTIVE via any of the SGPs in SG before AS can go
                   ACTIVE on SG.

2. AS in override mode : Suppose an application server is being served by
all
                   4 ASPs in override mode. Does this mean that,

                   at any given time, each SGP will have at the most one
                   ASP
                   ACTIVE for an AS
                                      OR
                   at any given time, an SG (combining all SGPs) will have
at
                   the most one ASP ACTIVE for an AS

Umesh Vats

_______________________________________________
Sigtran mailing list
[email-masked]
 https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sigtran

_______________________________________________
Sigtran mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sigtran

---

From: Tolga Asveren <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 04:04:06 -0700 (PDT)

Kamesh,

Some comments below, just my 2 cents.

  Tolga
> scenario your ORD options
[TOLGA]A SG is seen from SS7 point of view as a single
entity. A node in SS7 domain is not aware of the
concept of SGs and SGPs. BTW, important is the number
of ACTIVE ASPs to handle the traffic, not the number
of associations to an ACTIVE ASP. So, I wouldn't think
that it will increase the performance of an ASP, if
you have 3 -instead of 1- association to the same ASP.
> points are appropriate. Ultimately it all depends on
[TOLGA]IMO it is clear that for n+k situation, both
ASP and SGP should behave the same, otherwise it might
bring interoperability problems that SG tries to
activate traffic based on the SGwide number of ACTIVE
ASPs, and ASP kepps the counter per SGP. ASPTM is sent
from ASP/SGP to ASP/SGP. Those messages are never
intended to be sent per SG. So, IMO it is clear that
decisions should be made always from SGP point of
view, not SG. 
>                    the most one ASP ACTIVE for an AS

__________________________________
Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Calendar - Free online calendar with sync to Outlook(TM).
http://calendar.yahoo.com
_______________________________________________
Sigtran mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sigtran