Subject: [Sigtran] ERROR should not be sent in response to ERROR

From: "Abhishek Jain" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 17:26:43 +0530

Hi All,

Can any one clarify the contradictory scenario:

As per Section 3.8.1 in RFC 4666 "Error messages MUST NOT be generated
in response to other Error messages."

As per Section 3.8.1 again in RFC 4666 "The "Unsupported Message Class"
error is sent if a message with an unexpected or unsupported Message
Class is received.  For this error, the Diagnostic Information parameter
MUST be included with the first 40 octets of the offending message"

As per Section 3.8.1 again in RFC 4666 "The "Missing Parameter" error
would be sent if a mandatory parameter were not included in a message.
This error is also sent if a conditional parameter is not included in
the message but is required

in the context of the received message."

So in a scenario where ASP receives a message with Unsupported Message
Type it returns ERROR message with the Unsupported Message Type. However
if ASP doesn't include the Diagnostic Information, then should SGP
respond with an ERROR Missing Parameter?

Thanks

Regards,

Abhishek

_______________________________________________
Sigtran mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sigtran

---

From: "Stewart Patch" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 09:09:29 -0400

The purpose of the first requirement is to prevent flooding the network
with error messages sent in response to other messages. The diagnostic
information should be included to permit identification of which
specific message was considered objectionable in cases where there might
be more than one message outstanding. Therefore the sensible course is
to give the first requirement priority. Don't send another error message
(and go kick the vendor/creator of the module that failed to create
sufficient diagnostic information to permit identifying the failing
message so that the underlying problem could be fixed).

Stewart Patch

-----Original Message-----
From: Abhishek Jain [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, April 27, 2007 7:57 AM
To: [email-masked]; sigtran
Subject: [Sigtran] ERROR should not be sent in response to ERROR

Hi All,

Thanks

Regards,

Abhishek