Subject: [Sigtran] SCTP ABORT Issue

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 17:18:33 +0530

Hello Sir,

I am facing an issue wherein the client application is getting closed 
suddenly in run time . In the wireshark traces, we can see that the client 
(10.2.110.19) is sending an "ABORT" message (frame 800 and 801)  to the 
server (IPs 10.2.110.40 and 10.2.110.104). But there is no cause code in 
the "ABORT" (frame 800 and 801) message. Also, I observe many "ASPUP" 
messages coming from the server side before "ABORT" was sent.

As I am new to the SCTP usage, kindly help me in understanding why is the 
ABORT going. Also, please not that in the client application, the socket 
LINGER option is disabled by default.Please find the traces attached.

Thanks & Regards,
Komal Lakhotiya

=====-----=====-----=====
Notice: The information contained in this e-mail
message and/or attachments to it may contain 
confidential or privileged information. If you are 
not the intended recipient, any dissemination, use, 
review, distribution, printing or copying of the 
information contained in this e-mail message 
and/or attachments to it are strictly prohibited. If 
you have received this communication in error, 
please notify us by reply e-mail or telephone and 
immediately and permanently delete the message 
and any attachments. Thank you

---

From: Michael Tüxen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 17:52:11 +0100

On Jan 28, 2011, at 12:48 PM, [email-masked] wrote:

> 
> Hello Sir, 
> 
> I am facing an issue wherein the client application is getting closed suddenly in run time . In the wireshark traces, we can see that the client (10.2.110.19) is sending an "ABORT" message (frame 800 and 801)  to the server (IPs 10.2.110.40 and 10.2.110.104). But there is no cause code in the "ABORT" (frame 800 and 801) message. Also, I observe many "ASPUP" messages coming from the server side before "ABORT" was sent. 
> 
> As I am new to the SCTP usage, kindly help me in understanding why is the ABORT going. Also, please not that in the client application, the socket LINGER option is disabled by default.Please find the traces attached. 
Hi Komal,

it might help if you could send the tracefile in a .pcap file format.
You can send it privately to me, if you prefer...

Best regards
Michael
> <ABORT_traces.zip>_______________________________________________
> Sigtran mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sigtran

---

From: Ankit Kumar Sharma <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 23:44:08 +0530

are you running on kernel SCTP or some third party vendor's SCTP?

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 5:18 PM, <[email-masked]> wrote:

> server (IPs 10.2.110.40 and 10.2.110.104). But there is no cause code in the
> "ABORT" (frame 800 and 801) message. Also, I observe many "ASPUP" messages
> coming from the server side before "ABORT" was sent.
>
> _______________________________________________
> Sigtran mailing list
> [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 09:43:37 +0530

Hi Ankit,

My application is running on kernel SCTP.

Thanks & Regards,
Komal Lakhotiya
Tata Consultancy Services
Synergy Park Unit 3 - ODC3,
Premises No.2-56/1/36, Survey No.26,
Gachibowli, Serilingampally Mandal, R R District
Hyderabad - 500 019,Andhra Pradesh
India
Mailto: [email-masked]
Website: http://www.tcs.com
____________________________________________
Experience certainty.   IT Services
                        Business Solutions
                        Outsourcing
____________________________________________

From:
Ankit Kumar Sharma <[email-masked]>
To:
[email-masked]
Cc:
[email-masked], [email-masked]
Date:
02/03/2011 11:44 PM
Subject:
Re: [Sigtran] SCTP ABORT Issue

Hello Sir, 

Thanks & Regards,
Komal Lakhotiya

---

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 21:54:23 -0700

komal.l,

A couple of points.

- A client is one that intiates a connection to a server.  Your "server"
  (10.2.110.40) is initiating connections to your "client"
  (10.2.110.19).

- Servers do not sent ASPUP, clients do.  But since you have your terms
  reversed, I suppose that is ok.

- An abort without an error value means that the ULP disconnected.

- Linger option only lingers when messages are awaiting transmission.
  In this case the server (what you call "client") is not transmitting
  anything, so a close(2) of the socket without a shutdown(2) first will
  result in an ABORT being sent (just as with TCP it results in a RST).

It appears that the server (your "client") does not like being sent
ASPUP messages from the client, it does not respond to them in any way,
then it disconnects after a certain number of messages.  The
disconnection is a close(2) and no messages are awaiting transmission,
so the ABORT without error is sent.  When the client attempts to connect
again, the server simply ABORTS the association immediately upon receipt
of the INIT.  Sounds like the server really does not like the client and
refuses to communicate further with it.  Are you sure it is even a
SIGTRAN server?  Also, is the client authorized to connect to the
server?  Is the server reading the socket at any point in time?

You can certainly take these types of first-year level programming
issues up on another forum.

--brian

[email-masked] wrote:                        (Fri, 28 Jan 2011 17:18:33)
>    suddenly in run time . In the wireshark traces, we can see that the
>    client (10.2.110.19) is sending an "ABORT" message (frame 800 and 801)
>     to the server (IPs 10.2.110.40 and 10.2.110.104). But there is no
>    cause code in the "ABORT" (frame 800 and 801) message. Also, I observe
>    many "ASPUP" messages coming from the server side before "ABORT" was
>    sent.
>    As I am new to the SCTP usage, kindly help me in understanding why is
>    the ABORT going. Also, please not that in the client application, the
>    socket LINGER option is disabled by default.Please find the traces
>    attached.
>    Thanks & Regards,
>    Komal Lakhotiya

> Archive:  /home/brian/tmp/%.zip   66759 bytes   1 file
> -rw-a--     2.0 fat  1834859 b- defN 28-Jan-11 17:07 ABORT_traces
> 1 file, 1834859 bytes uncompressed, 66637 bytes compressed:  96.4%

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock
[email-masked]
http://www.openss7.org/