Subject: Re: [Simple] Howt to deal with Notifications when having multiple PUAs for a presentity

From: "Avshalom Houri" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 22:05:26 +0200

I would say that if the registration of a PUA expires you should consider 
it as an update to the presence info.
Think of the case where each PUA is representing a mobile device and one 
of the mobile devices was shut down.

Avshalom Houri
Lotus Sametime, IBM Software Group
[email-masked]

Lamine Brahimi/Zurich/IBM@IBMCH
Sent by: [email-masked]
24/02/2002 19:14

        To:        [email-masked]
        cc: 
        Subject:        [Simple] Howt to deal with Notifications when having multiple PUAs for a 
presentity

Dear all,
Thanks for previous advices.
I have a specific question:

I allow my presentity to have several PUAs thus several presence-Info (one
per PUA identified by a Contact-address in the Contact-Header  in the
REGISTER msg etc ...).
 It is the presence server (colocated with the registrar)  that aggregates
all presence-Info of a presentity and NOTIFY the watchers.
 What should the presence server do if a presentity PUA (identified by a
contact-address) is not updated and thus expires ????
Can we consider that as an update of presence Info?
Should I notify all the watchers with all the the remaining PUAs
presence-Info only?
Should I notify all the watchers with all the PUAs and a status "NOT 
FOUND"
(see rfc 2778) for the one which has expired?
Should I do nothing and wait for a "true" presence-Info change to notify
watchers ?

Or, in order to avoid that, can we consider a REGISTER-refresh to update
ALL the presentity Contact-addresses (even they are not all
present in ther Contact header) and symetrically  the same thing for an
unregistration?
It does not follow exactly the spec but it avoids a lot of complexity?

Thanks for the help/
Regards,
Lamine.

_______________________________________________
simple mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mailman.dynamicsoft.com/mailman/listinfo/simple

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 13:23:57 -0500

Avshalom Houri wrote:
> 
> I would say that if the registration of a PUA expires you should
> consider it as an update to the presence info.

Correct. Some more details inline.

> Can we consider that as an update of presence Info?

Definitely. The role of the PA is to take the sources of presence it
knows about, and generate a total presence document for the presentity
based on those sources. That includes, but by no means is limited to,
registrations.

> Should I notify all the watchers with all the the remaining PUAs

That probably makes the most sense.

> (see rfc 2778) for the one which has expired?

Probably the updated presence document would omit the contact address
for the PUA whose registration has expired.

> present in ther Contact header)

No, because thats not what the REGISTER means. THe spec doesn't prevent
this, but the presence document you generate would not be accurate.

-Jonathan R.
-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.            72 Eagle Rock Avenue
Chief Scientist                         First Floor
dynamicsoft                             East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                 FAX: (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                  PH:  (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com