Subject: RE: [Simple] RE: [Sipping] RE: text/T140 and audio/t140 was:[avt]Comments/questions on draft-ietf-av

From: "Paul E. Jones" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 13:42:40 -0400

Arnoud,

> Also..I want to point it out again...
> WE ARE NOT TALKING ABOUT REPLACING INSTANT MESSAGING WITH INTERACTIVE
TEXT!

I understand, but I think some opinions expressed is that in order to
increase the deployment base, you really need to find a way to marry these
two technologies.

> And I do hear from many ICQ users who miss the real-time chat mode. That
> was
> easier to use. And with SIP, server load is not an issue anymore, which
> caused ICQ to scrap this option.

The reason the server load would have been high would have been because
messages were likely not transmitted point-to-point due to firewalls and
NATs.  SIP does not improve on that.  However, other technologies like STUN
can help.

Paul

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple