Subject: [Simple] MSRP: Send vs. Visit

From: Ben Campbell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 15:43:34 -0500

At the interim meeting, we proposed that the offerer always initiated 
the connection, if required, and that the offerer would immediately send 
some request. If it had content to send, it could immediately send a 
SEND request. We had controversy over where, in a situation where it did 
_not_ have immediate content, it should send a VISIT request, or a SEND 
request with no content.

The design team discussed this extensively, and came to the conclusion 
that there were some boundary conditions where VISIT could be more 
efficient. For example, we could define VISIT to only go so far as the 
first hop that was proposed by the peer.

However, we agreed that any such boundary condition gains were not worth 
the complexity of having to use SEND sometimes and VISIT sometimes. 
Therefore, we propose that we remove the VISIT method entirely, and 
specify that the offerer always sends a SEND request immediately upon 
opening a session. If the offerer has no immediate content to send, it 
may choose not to put a body in the SEND request.

If there are no substantive objections, the next draft will reflect this.

Thanks!

Ben.

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple