Subject: [Simple] XCAP Issue 3 Interim Summary: PUT vs. POST

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 02:10:22 -0400

We had reached consensus on the list that PUT was ok. This was 
predicated on adopting Jari's proposed approach for handling server 
assignment of URIs. In that approach, the client first PUTs a document 
without the URI. Then, the server rejects it, and the response suggests 
values. The client can then pick one, and retry the request. The second 
time, it succeeds.

There was no disagreement on the usage of PUT, and so I think we are set 
on that.

There was some good discussion on the details of this technique Jari had 
suggested. One concern was this. In the above proposal, the schema would 
require the URI to be present. Thus, schema validation would fail, and 
that would trigger the server to indicate suggested URI in the response. 
It was pointed out that this is going to be a pain to implement, since 
you don't want to have to look through a document that failed schema 
validation, to figure out if it failed because some component was 
missing. So, it was suggested to make sure it doesnt fail schema validation.

The other point, made by Adam, was that there is no point in having the 
client omit in the URI in the first place. Instead, it should guess 
something random, and send that. Indeed, the suggestion was made that, 
if you include a sufficiently random URI, it won't need server assigned 
URIs at all - the URI will always be unique. However, we do have a 
requirement for server generated URIs, and this is motivated by vaninty 
URIs and the desire to control URI assignment within its own namespace. 
That said, it did make sense to always include a URI anyway, maybe 
you'll get lucky.

So, the conclusion is:

(1) we are closed on PUT/POST
(2) the URI should always be present, so schema validation will succeed, 
and the client always suggests something.

Thanks,
Jonathan R.
-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                600 Lanidex Plaza
Chief Technology Officer                    Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
dynamicsoft
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple