Subject: [Simple] XCAP List Issue 1: External Reference Scope

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 07:14:10 -0400

This issue was raised some time ago, by Hisham I think, and has yet to 
be resolved. I had slides on this (and the other list issues) prepared 
for the interim, but we didnt get to it.

The resource list schema includes an <entry-ref> element which contains 
a reference to another entry. The purpose of this is to avoid entering 
duplicate data about a user when that user appears on multiple buddy 
lists. The content of this element is a reference to an <entry> element. 
The question is, what is the scope of this reference? Is it:

1. an HTTP URI representing an XCAP resource that is an <entry> element 
on this server or another server, in this domain or another domain 
(i.e., 
http://server.example.com/xcap-root/resource-lists/users/jdrosen/doc1/
~~/resource-lists/list/entry

2. a path from the XCAP root services URI, pointing to an <entry> 
element on this server (i.e., "/resource-lists/users/jdrosen/doc1/
~~/resource-lists/list/entry"

3. a path from the current document, pointing to an <entry> element in 
the same document (i.e., "/resource-lists/list/entry"

I think doing (1) introduces all kinds of hairy issues around 
authorization (you'd need to define policies about who can look at 
specific entries in your lists) and referential integrity.  I think 3 
gives insufficient flexibility. I'd like to be able to have a company 
list of users, and define by buddy list as a series of references to 
that central list. As such, I'd propose 2.

Comments?

Thanks,
Jonathan R.
-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                600 Lanidex Plaza
Chief Technology Officer                    Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
dynamicsoft
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple