Subject: [Simple] MSRP Relays: Transaction and Report model

From: "Orit Levin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 18:34:25 -0800

Guys,
There is a couple of contradicting statements in the
draft-ietf-simple-msrp-relays-03 regarding a relay "state machine"
processing a message:
 
1. Text in the bottom of page 5 suggests that in case of the
"failure-flag" being TRUE, the receiving relay MUST immediately response
with "200 OK" to the previous hop. Instead of "200 OK", it should be
"final response". Below is a suggestion for more explicit wording:

-----------------------------
If the "failure-flag" is set to TRUE (or is TRUE by default), the
receiving local relay MUST immediately response with one of the final
responses:
- If the final response is 2XX, the previous hop cleans the state. In
case of further local error condition encountered by the local relay
(e.g. parsing, timeout, lack of resources), the local relay is
responsible for constructing the error report and sending it back to the
original source of the message.
- If the final response conveys an error, the previous hop is
responsible for constructing the error report and sending it back to the
original sender of the message.
 
If the "failure-flag" is set to PARTIAL and the local relay encounters a
problem (e.g. parsing error, timeout, lack of resources), it is
responsible for constructing the error report and sending it back to the
original source of the message.
 
If the "failure-flag" is set to FALSE and a local relay encounters a
problem, the message MUST be dropped silently.
-----------------------------
 
This way it will become consistent with "6.4.1  Forwarding SEND
requests".

2. In 6.4.1 itself, there is another problem, though. It currently says
(top of page 18):

--------------
   If there is a problem further processing the SEND request, or in the
   response that the relay receives in sending the SEND request to the
   next hop, and the Failure-Report header is "yes" or "partial", then
   the relay MUST respond with an appropriate error response in a REPORT
   back to the previous hop.
--------------

Instead of "back to previous hop" it needs to say "back to original
source of the message".

3. Top Page 9.

"Unlike the SEND request which is acknowledged along every hop, REPORT
responses are never acknowledged." 

Needs to become:

"Unlike the SEND request which can be acknowledged along every hop,
REPORT responses are never acknowledged."

Thanks,
Orit.

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple