Subject: [Simple] chat-02 - Nicknames

From: Eric Burger <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 14:06:03 -0500

I understand the nickname utility, but I'm uneasy with how it is used.

As presented, nicknames must be unique, which means that individuals are
identified, if not identifiable.  I'm not sure this is a desirable property.

Second, if nicknames must be unique, the nickname MUST be negotiable at the
SIP level.  What if two participants pick the random string "anonymous"?

What if there are two eburgers?

What if I decide to be Aki?

Is the nickname anything different than display name?

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple

---

From: "Brian Rosen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 16:17:58 -0500

I am conflicted over this.

If we were designing IM in isolation, nickname is all there is for identity.
You login to an IM system (REGISTER) with your nickname, you get presence
based on nicknames, and you address messages with nicknames.

Since this is SIMPLE, and signaling is SIP, somehow, we need to relate
nickname to URI, and use one or the other depending on context

UNLESS

nickname is URI, one way or the other.

I think it would be a mistake to make display name nickname.  That is going
to have a lot of implications that I don't think we want to put into the
structure of "To:", "From:" and Contact.

If IM was totally disconnected from other AoRs, it would be tempting to make
nickname the user part of the URI.  sip:[email-masked] is a pretty
reasonable way to address an AIM service using SIMPLE.

I'm suspicious of just making this the way nicknames work, because my normal
sip AoR would then not allow a nickname, and I may want such a thing.

So maybe we really need some kind of new identifier that we can relate to
URI, but is not display name or user part.  

BUT

If you do that, then you get into issues where you want to reveal your
nickname but not your AoR.  So then we're into the anonymous URI stuff, even
though you aren't anonymous, you are your nickname, which is as good of an
identifier as your AoR but not the same thing.

Brian

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
> Of Eric Burger
> Sent: Monday, March 07, 2005 2:06 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [Simple] chat-02 - Nicknames
>