Subject: [Simple] Re: Chat Nicknames

From: Miguel Garcia <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 16:36:38 +0200

Inline.

Cullen Jennings wrote:

> I might be missing the boat here but let me ask a question that separates
> stuff. 
> 
> Is there a requirement to be able to change you nickname on every message or
> would it be acceptable to set up a new session if you want to change you
> nickname?

I guess when you say "setup up a new session" really means a re-INVITE, 
not an additional session. I believe it is possible, but perhaps a 
lighter mechanism should be desirable.

This is perhaps the reason why the chat draft went for an approach where 
the nickname is composed of a Display-Name, which is freely changable on 
a message by message basis, and a URN (could queally be a URI), that is 
something more permanent, negotiated (or assigned by) the MSRP 
switch/conference focus.

This allows a user to change the display-name part of the nickname, 
still having some sort of unique identifier within the conference.

> 
> It seems that the name could be set when you set up the session. If this is
> the case, then the display name of the From is very clear you can put any
> alias you want in it. The chat controller can tell you that name is not
> acceptable thought, in practice, there is no fundamental reason you can't
> have people with the same nickname and just have the conf server append
> something to make them unique.

The name could be set when you set up the session, but it could also 
change during such session, and even remain "allocated" for your usage 
after the session.

I think we agree that there are two components of the name, one is set 
by the user, the other by the conference server. In the chat draft we 
propose the former to be a display-name, the latter a URN, but I am fine 
with any other proposal that keeps this property.

> 
> RTP/RTCP had different requirements for this because you could join a
> multicast session with effectively no signaling with all the participants so
> there was a need to continuously and adaptively flow the name information as
> the conference changed. Since this this centralized conferencing, you can
> get the names from the centralized thing.

Agree.

> 
> Say two people joined with nick name of anon. The chat mixer may identify
> them as anon1 and anon2 in the session and you can send a private message to
> one of them by sending to location for anon2 (which would be an anonymous
> perhaps on the same box as the mixing was happening on).

Agree too. If we use the approach of the chat draft, the two From header 
(in Message/CPIM) would be:

From: "anonymous" urn:ietf:params:msrp:names:com:example:switch:anon1
From: "anonymous" urn:ietf:params:msrp:names:com:example:switch:anon2

> Cullen

/Miguel

-- 
Miguel A. Garcia           tel:+358-50-4804586
Nokia Research Center      Helsinki, Finland

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple