Subject: [Simple] Partial publication & version attribute

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 10:05:00 +0300

Hello,

draft-ietf-simple-partial-publish-05, section 3.2, says:

"Versioning of these partial publications is necessary to guarantee that
the changes are applied in the correct order.  The PUBLISH method
[RFC3903] already accomplishes this using entity-tags and conditional
requests, which guarantee correct ordering of publication updates. Note
that the partial PIDF format [I-D.ietf-simple-partial-pidf- format]
contains the 'version' attribute that could be used for versioning as
well.  However, we chose not to introduce an additional versioning
mechanism to partial publish, since that would only add ambiguity and a
potential undefined error case if the two versioning mechanisms were to
somehow contradict."

However, XML schema of partial pidf presented in
draft-ietf-simple-partial-pidf-format-07 defines the 'version' attribute
to be mandatory:

<xsd:attribute name="version" type="xsd:unsignedInt"/>

So how should partial publications be processed on presence server? Am I
right if supposing the presence server to require the 'version'
attribute but to ignore its value? Or is it simply a bug in
specification?

Thanks for any comments.

Best regards

Michal Burda

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple

---

From: Jari Urpalainen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 11:54:02 +0300

> attribute but to ignore its value? Or is it simply a bug in
actually attributes are optional by default with the w3c schema (agreed, 
not very intuitive). So clients should not publish 'version' info, but 
if they do, servers just ignore them.
br, Jari