Subject: [Simple] Don't panic: IPR disclosure on draft-ietf-simple-view-sharing-00.txt

From: Dean Willis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 17:42:18 -0600

On Feb 26, 2008, at 11:45 AM, [email-masked] wrote:

>
>
> A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
> directories.
> This draft is a work item of the SIP for Instant Messaging and  
> Presence Leveraging Extensions Working Group of the IETF.
>
> 	Title		: Optimizing Federated Presence with View Sharing
> 	Author(s)	: J. Rosenberg, S. Donovan, K. McMurry
> 	Filename	: draft-ietf-simple-view-sharing-00.txt
> 	Pages		: 30
> 	Date		: 2008-2-21

I'd like to point out that there's a published patent application  
wending its way through the USPTO that may apply to this, number  
20050283477 (It's amazing what you can kind find with a search engine  
these days). I believe the owners have made appropriate disclosure to  
the IETF already, but it's possible the WG hasn't noticed.

The disclosure is posted at:

http://www.ietf.org/ietf/IPR/cisco-ipr-draft-rosenberg-simple-view-sharing-00.txt

Now my personal take on it is that we're much better off with  
something that has a known strong set of patent claims with reasonable  
licensing than we are with something that has unknown patent claims  
owned by trolls, and that if you don't know about "good" patents then  
there are probably some bad ones being held by trolls, since  
everything is patented sooner or later.

But it's still something people need to be aware of.

--
Dean

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple