Subject: [Simple] <note> in IMDN

From: Eric Burger <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 16:02:23 +0800

Why do we have a <note> field in an IMDN?

It cannot be for correlation, as the sender MUST have a Message-ID.

It cannot be for letting the user what the message is, because we are  
talking about IMs here, not e-mails.

It cannot be for displaying status to the IM sender, because the IM  
Recipient UA has no idea what the locale of the sender is and will  
undoubtably use the wrong language and character set.

It could be used as a spam attack vector, but that would be silly of  
us to build in to a protocol.

Does ANYONE object to simply taking out the field?
Does ANYONE want the field to be present?

Please respond to the list ASAP, as this document is WAY overdue.
_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple

---

From: "Hisham Khartabil" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 09:17:37 +1000

It for the IMDN to carry extra information about the IM. For example,
information on why it was not delivered.

   <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
   <imdn xlmns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:imdn">
      <message-id>34jk324j</message-id>
      <datetime>2006-04-04T12:16:49-05:00</datetime>
      <recipient-uri>im:[email-masked] <[email-masked]>
</recipient-uri>
      <original-recipient-uri>
          im:[email-masked] <[email-masked]>
      </original-recipient-uri>
      <disposition>
         <delivery/>
      </disposition>
      <status>
         <failed/>
      </status>
      <note lang="en">The IM could not be delivered due to network
failure</note>
   </imdn>