Subject: [Simple] New draft submitted: "Attention Request (POKE) for Instant Messaging"

From: Gustavo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 10:07:32 +0200

Hi,

We have submitted a new draft specifying a method to send attention 
requests in a SIP messaging system.  Any comment, suggestion or 
criticism will be more than welcomed.

Regards,
G.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: I-D Action:draft-garcia-simple-poke-00.txt
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 09:30:04 +0200
From: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.

         Title           : Attention Request (POKE) for Instant Messaging
         Author(s)       : G. Garcia, J. Martin
         Filename        : draft-garcia-simple-poke-00.txt
         Pages           : 12
         Date            : 2008-06-16

This document specifies a message content type and XML format to
request attention from a targeted user.  This feature is usually
known as poke, nudge or buzz in existing messaging platforms.  Its
primary use is as an additional instant messaging capability that can
be sent in the middle of a instant messaging session or in a
standalone message at any time.  This message also allows the sender
to indicate the preferred realization of the attention request:
vibrator, light, tone, media or text.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-garcia-simple-poke-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

_______________________________________________
Simple mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/simple

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 10:37:02 -0600

On 06/16/2008 8:05 AM, Dave Cridland wrote:
> On Mon Jun 16 09:07:32 2008, Gustavo wrote:
> I note you've referenced XEP-0224. I think it'd be useful if both
> protocols actually used the same XML namespace, so I'll suggest that on
> the XMPP standards list - I think that XMPP could probably still change,
> so picking the namespace from this document may be most sensible, but
> I'm hoping people will let me know if XEP-0224 has already been widely
> implemented.

I would not say that XEP-0224 has been implemented widely yet.

> I'm not entirely sold on the neccessity to be able to play tunes with
> the attention request whilst vibrating their laptop - presumably most
> useful for added effect on the low notes - and in more general terms, I
> prefer the concepts of XEP-0224, Section 6 - quite how the recipient
> should have their attention gained should be fully under the control of
> the recipient.

+1 to that.

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 10:58:47 -0600

> I would not say that XEP-0224 has been implemented widely yet.

Andreas Monitzer reports that XEP-0224 has been implemented in both
Pidgin (formerly Gaim) and Adium:

http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2008-June/019130.html

>> should have their attention gained should be fully under the control of

If we go that route and don't include all the bells and whistles (and
flashing lights and vibrations and whatever all else is currently in
draft-garcia-simple-poke-00), then presumably we could all use the same
XML schema and namespace. XEP-0224 is still experimental, so the XMPP
Registrar has not yet issued a permanent namespace for that extension.
However, this spec could easily be moved forward in the XSF's standards
process since it's already implemented. Alternatively, we could defer to
the work in the SIMPLE WG. I don't have a strong preference in that
regard. However, if the SIMPLE WG proceeds with a more complex solution
then folks in the XMPP community might go with a simpler solution and we
could gateway the basic functionality without supporting lights and
tones and such in XMPP.

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/

---

From: Gustavo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 19:48:37 +0200

>>> should have their attention gained should be fully under the control of

This draft allows the sender to indicate preferences for the attention 
request, but the final decision is fully under the control of the 
recipient.

> could gateway the basic functionality without supporting lights and

We don't know yet the opinion of the SIMPLE WG, but the opinion of the 
draft authors is that being able to indicate the preferred realization 
of the attention request (e.g. vibration + lights) can provide an added 
value and it would be useful to standardize it to avoid incompatible 
proprietary extensions.

All the bells and whistles are optional, you can send a message with a 
simple "<poke/>".

We agree that using just one namespace and format for XMPP and SIMPLE 
could be valuable.

Gustavo