Subject: [Simple] Subscription refresh query

From: Pankaj Munjal <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 16:58:20 +0530

Hello all,

I have a query on Subscription refresh on "presence" event package.

RFC: 5263, Section 4.5:
"If the watcher encounters a processing error while processing the
received 'application/pidf-diff+xml' encoded presence document, look
at Section 5.1 of [8].  In this case, the watcher SHOULD renew the
subscription.  The watcher MAY also fall back to normal presence
operations by not inserting 'application/pidf-diff+xml' in a new
SUBSCRIBE request."

My comprehension for this statement is that we need to refresh the Subscription.
But to do so, the Presence Client needs to send SUBSCRIBE request on
the same dialog with updated Accept Headerr.
Now the question is, for a Subscribe refresh request, does the
Presence server update it's complete subscription details according to
the new SUBSCRIBE request?(Allow Header, exires Header)
Or does it consider/update only "expires" based on the new SUBSCRIBE.

I'm asking this because, RFC 3265, Section 3.1.6.4. (Refreshing of
Subscriptions) states:
"When a notifier receives a subscription refresh, assuming that the
subscriber is still authorized, the notifier updates the expiration
time for the subscription"

Here it is talking about only "expiration time". Shall this be a
restriction on the Presence server that it shall update only
expiration time from SUBSCRIBE refresh request, and not other modified
Headers?

Kindly clarify.

Regards,
Pankaj

-- 
All the desirable things in life are either illegal, expensive,
fattening, or married to someone else!!