Subject: [Simple] Posting of IPR Disclosure

From: IETF Secretariat <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 10:08:44 -0800 (PST)

Dear Eric Burger, Hisham Khartabil:

An IPR disclosure that pertains to your RFC entitled "Instant Message
Disposition Notification (IMDN)" (RFC5438) was submitted to the IETF Secretariat
on 2009-03-01 and has been posted on the "IETF Page of Intellectual Property
Rights Disclosures" (https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/ipr_list.cgi). The
title of the IPR disclosure is "Nokia Corporation's Statement about IPR related
to RFC 5438."

The IETF Secretariat

---

From: Eric Burger <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2009 18:04:03 -0800

Nokia has asserted they may have IPR claims that may impact IMDN  
implementations.  While I do have an opinion as to the validity of the  
claims, I cannot offer those opinions in public.  I would offer you  
read the relevant patent applications and make your own determination,  
or hire an expert.  I happen to know a really good one ;-)

That said, the claims are NOT about IMDN itself, but the use of  
mechanisms similar to IMDN with a proxy.  Again, it is up to you to  
decide if the IPR applies to you and if it does, what you want to do  
about it.  If you think the patent will be awarded and your  
implementation will infringe, Nokia, in their IETF IPR declaration,  
stated they will license the patent (if it ever issues) under FRAND  
terms.

Begin forwarded message:

> From: IETF Secretariat <[email-masked]>
> Date: March 2, 2009 10:08:44 AM PST
> To: [email-masked],[email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked],[email-masked],[email-masked],[email-masked] 
> ,[email-masked],[email-masked]
> Subject: Posting of IPR Disclosure
>