Subject: [Simple] Errata report for Errata 2131 for RFC4479, "A Data Model for Presence"

From: "Worley, Dale R (Dale)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 11:50:44 -0400

======================================================================
RFC4479, "A Data Model for Presence"
Source of RFC: simple (rai)

Errata ID: 2131

Status: Reported
Type: Editorial

Reported By: Martin Thomson
Date Reported: 2010-04-05

Section 7.1 says:

   <presence xmlns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:pidf"
    xmlns:dm="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:pidf:data-model"
    xmlns:rp="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:pidf:rpid"
    xmlns:caps="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:pidf:caps"
    xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">

It should say:

   <presence xmlns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:pidf"
    xmlns:dm="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:pidf:data-model"
    xmlns:rp="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:pidf:rpid"
    xmlns:caps="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:pidf:caps"
    entity="pres:[email-masked]">

Notes:

The entity attribute of the <presence> element is mandatory. It
contains a URI that identifies the presentity.

The namespace prefix binding for
"http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" is not used in the example
and need not appear.

Not corrected here: the example uses an undefined URI scheme, mac:, to
identify a device.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Recommended status:  (correct) Hold for document update

The presence of the "xmlns:xsi" attribute, while useless, is not
incorrect.

The absence of the "entity" attribute is an error.  However: (1) This
usage is part of an example.  (2) Anyone who understands the base
specification (RFC 3863), or who attempts to implement this
specification, will discover the absence of "entity".  (3) The
"entity" value is not a significant fact within the discussion of
section 7.1.

In regard to the alleged URIs presented as <deviceId> content:  The
contents conform to the syntax for URIs (given in RFC 2396), and so
conform to the XML Schema datatype "anyURI" (see
http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/#anyURI).  Of course, the schema
"mac" is not registered with IANA.  So this seems to be an acceptable
practice for an example, though of course many other considerations
come into play if one were to consider using these quasi-URIs in
practice.
======================================================================

Dale