Subject: [sip-clf] Protocol Action: 'The Common Log Format (CLF) for the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP): Framework and Information Model' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-sipclf-problem-statement-13.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2013 12:55:30 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'The Common Log Format (CLF) for the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP):
   Framework and Information Model'
  (draft-ietf-sipclf-problem-statement-13.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the SIP Common Log Format Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Robert Sparks and Gonzalo Camarillo.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-sipclf-problem-statement/

Technical Summary:

The Session Initiation Protocol does not have a common log
format, and as a result, each server supports a distinct log format
that makes it unnecessarily complex to produce tools to do trend
analysis and security detection.  This document provides motivation
for a common format and defines a framework and data model for such 
a log as well as a need to allow extensions.

Working Group Summary:

There were some issues with respect the choice of indexed-ascii versus binary 
representation. This stalled the WG progress for a number of meetings. 
There was significant discussion about whether to create this standalone format,
or build withing syslog or IPFix. The technical implications of working within IPFix
were explored and the data model documented here could be used with IPFix. 
The  working group decided to move ahead with the standalone format documented
in draft-ietf-sipclf-format, and this final product has good support in the WG.

A previous version of this document received IESG review. This review raised issues
about the scope of the document (it is more than a problem statement), and technical
concerns involving internationalization.

Document Quality:

There were sample implementations of the indexed ascii format written by 
Peter Musgrave and placed on the sipclf Wiki page 
(<http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/sipclf/trac/wiki>). 
Vijay Gurbani reports that three other implementations are known.

Personnel:

Peter Musgrave is the document shepherd. Robert Sparks in the responsible AD.