Subject: [sip-overload] I-D Action: draft-ietf-soc-load-control-event-package-06.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2012 21:56:16 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the SIP Overload Control Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : A Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Load Control Event Package
	Author(s)       : Charles Shen
                          Henning Schulzrinne
                          Arata Koike
	Filename        : draft-ietf-soc-load-control-event-package-06.txt
	Pages           : 40
	Date            : 2012-12-31

Abstract:
   We define a load control event package for the Session Initiation
   Protocol (SIP).  It allows SIP entities to distribute load filtering
   policies to other SIP entities in the network.  The load filtering
   policies contain rules to throttle calls based on their source or
   destination domain, telephone number prefix or for a specific user.
   The mechanism helps to prevent signaling overload and complements
   feedback-based SIP overload control efforts.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-soc-load-control-event-package

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-soc-load-control-event-package-06

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-soc-load-control-event-package-06

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Charles Shen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2013 01:04:59 -0500

Dear all, Happy new year!!

And I have produced an updated version based on comments received in
the 2nd WGLC.

1. Terminology: after Shida's several comments on terminology
consistency and possible confusion, I decide to replace "load filter"
with "load filtering policies", so now we are distributing policies
instead of filters. And I consolidated other terms he mentioned, as
well as added a Definitions section.

2. As Vijay suggested, I clarified the meaning of "Notification with
empty body" which is used when a notifier needs to send a notification
but does not have any load filtering policies to convey at the moment.
Since "empty body" may lead to confusion over whether its a body with
empty contents or no body at all, the current wording uses a
"Notification request without a body", but its header needs to
indicate the correct Content-Type as if a body is present (e.g.,
application/load-control+xml) to give the subscriber a sense that the
notifier actually supports what the subscriber is looking for.

3. I put in the sentences proposed by Janet and Keith on handling
message prioritization in Section 6.8

http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/sip-overload/current/msg00861.html

But there is still an openning thread from Bruno on whether we should
replace the SHOULD with MUST in these statements

http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/sip-overload/current/msg00869.html

I will update if needed when finalized.

4. Various technical and editorial improvements based on online and
offline comments and another review.

Thanks!

Charles

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From:  <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, Jan 1, 2013 at 12:56 AM
Subject: [sip-overload] I-D Action:
draft-ietf-soc-load-control-event-package-06.txt
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the SIP Overload Control Working Group
of the IETF.

        Title           : A Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Load
Control Event Package
        Author(s)       : Charles Shen
                          Henning Schulzrinne
                          Arata Koike
        Filename        : draft-ietf-soc-load-control-event-package-06.txt
        Pages           : 40
        Date            : 2012-12-31

Abstract:

_______________________________________________
sip-overload mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip-overload