Subject: Message Waiting Indication Supplementary Service

From: "Gazal, Elly" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 10:12:23 +0200

Can any one suggest how does Message Waiting Indication Supplementary
Service is achieved by SIP?

Regards,

Elly.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 15:52:59 +0530

Hi,
I think one way is using the SUBSCRIBE-NOTIFY method
A UA subscribes to your "Messaging Centre" for receiving the indications
from any particular users or all of them.
The MC then sends NOTIFY messages to the subscribed UAs whenever an event
occurs (in this case, a message arriving)

Im not sure if any drafts already talk about Message Waiting using other
SIP extensions
but  I generally like the subscribe-notify concept for any notification as
above - although I dont think the scope of the
SUBSCRIBE/NOTIFY draft and its semantics are fixed yet (is this right ?)

Regds
Arjun

--
Arjun Roychowdhury @ Hughes Software Systems

"Gazal, Elly" <[email-masked]> on 03/20/2000 01:42:23 PM

To:   "[email-masked]'"
      <[email-masked]>
cc:

Subject:  Message Waiting Indication Supplementary Service

Regards,

Elly.

---

From: Rohan Mahy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 10:37:38 -0800

Hi,

Getting or checking the status of a voice mailbox is orthogonal to SIP's 
purpose (establishing sessions). You could use a separate protocol, or you 
could use either the SIP INFO or SUBSCRIBE/NOTIFY methods to provide 
supplemental information to the phone/endpoint.  You could use an XML, 
plain text, or other body type to convey this information, or an Event: header.

thanks,
-rohan