Subject: SIP bakeoff registration now open

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2000 13:42:25 -0500

http://www.sipbakeoff.org/4/ has details. Please contact Terri Cali
(cc'ed) with any questions.

I look forward to seeing many of you at the bake-off. 

I'd also appreciate feedback on whether and to what extent we should
test more formally for RTP interoperability at this event. This has
become an issue as we cannot progress RTP to draft status without more
implementations that comply. Since a phone that only rings but doesn't
"talk" is of somewhat limited use, this might be of some interest. (This
would obviously only affect UAs, not servers.)

Henning
-- 
Henning Schulzrinne   http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs

---

From: Colin Perkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 17:15:25 +0000

>would obviously only affect UAs, not servers.)

I'd strongly support moves to perform RTP interoperability testing at the
SIP bakeoff. The AVT working group has produced a number of internet drafts
listing those features which would need to be tested and suggesting testing 
procedures:

	draft-ietf-avt-rtp-interop-02.txt
	draft-ietf-avt-profile-interop-00.txt
	draft-ietf-avt-rtptest-02.txt

And as Henning says, this demonstration must be completed before the revised 
RTP specification can become an RFC. 

I would also encourage vendors who have performed in-house interoperability
testing of RTP implementations to consider making this information available
to the AVT working group chairs, so we can complete the interoperability
requirements (we're aware that some vendors have concerns with making this
available - contact us, and we can work to address them).

Colin

---

From: Francois Menard List Account <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2000 15:37:42 -0500 (EST)

Would that also include RTCP compatibility tests ?

-=Francois=-

---

From: Colin Perkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2000 21:21:01 +0000

>Would that also include RTCP compatibility tests ?

In order to progress RTP to draft standard it is necessary to demonstrate
interoperability of all options and features of the protocol. Accordingly,
we need to have demonstrated RTCP along with the other features of RTP.
Note that this doesn't imply that every implementation must implement every
feature of RTP (although I would hope that all implement at least a minimal
subset of RTCP), rather that every feature must be implemented in at least
two implementations.

Colin