Subject: Fault tolerance scheme for SIP Proxy servers

From: "Anoop Tripathi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 14:19:27 -0600

Hi,

Is there a draft or a generally accepted fault tolerance scheme for SIP Proxy
Servers?

Essentially if a SIP Proxy server fails how does a standby server become the
active without affecting the service ?

Thanks,

Anoop Tripathi

3COM

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 03:29:16 -0500

> Is there a draft or a generally accepted fault tolerance scheme for SIP Proxy

There is no draft. I'm not even sure there should be (at least not
standards track). How a server handles fault tolerance is an
implementation issue. THere are numerous capabilities of SIP you can use
to build robust systems. We have discussed several on the list,
including multicast, statelessness, usage of domain names instead of IP
addresses, and so on.

-Jonathan R.
-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       200 Executive Drive
Chief Scientist                             Suite 120 
dynamicsoft                                 West Orange, NJ 07052
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (732) 741-4778
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen         PHONE: (732) 741-7244
http://www.dynamicsoft.com