Subject: SIP and H.323 Interworking

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 02:11:13 -0500

Folks,

As many of you may know, the conclusion of the SIP-H323 BoF today at
IETF was that there was not sufficient consensus for a *standards track*
rfc, and there was not sufficient consensus to work to occur in a
dedicated working group. From talking to people after the meeting, this
seems to have resulted in the impression that there is no interest or
value in Informational RFCs documenting the interworking process.

This is simply not true.

I, and many others, see much value in informational documents which
describe experience and collected expertise in how to do the
interworking. As a result, the SIP working group, with the approval and
support of our area director (AD),  will be hosting a task force
targeted at generation of informational RFC on SIP to H.323
interworking. This task force will continue to use the existing list,
[email-masked]. People working on these documents should feel free
to bring up questions and issues on the main SIP list
([email-masked]) in order to facilitate their work.

Should any issues arise during this work which might neccessitate
revisiting the need for standards track work on SIP-H.323 interworking,
the ADs have indicated that a new BoF could be scheduled to discuss
them.

Thanks,
Jonathan R.
-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (732) 741-4778
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen         PHONE: (732) 741-7244
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

---

From: "Roy, Radhika R, ALARC" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 16:54:49 -0500

Hi, Everyone:

We have been pleased to see the clarification provided by Jonathan
Rosenberg, SIP WG Chair. Now we have the opportunity to proceed with our
SIP-H.323 Interworking work as follows:

1. A task force under SIP working group targeted at generation of
informational RFC.
2. Should it appear that we need to follow the standard track for the for
the SIP-H.323 interworking in the future, we can arrange another BOF with
the approval of the AD.

Now we have the clear direction to proceed with our work. Let us finish our
work as per schedule presented in yesterday's BOF.

Best regards,
Radhika R. Roy
AT&T
200 Laurel Ave S. Middletown, NJ 07748, USA
+1 732 420 1580
[email-masked]

-----Original Message-----
From: Jonathan Rosenberg [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, March 27, 2000 2:11 AM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; Bradner,
Scott
Subject: SIP and H.323 Interworking

Folks,

This is simply not true.

Thanks,
Jonathan R.