Subject: question on sip url grammar.

From: Sunitha Kumar <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 11:19:55 -0800

A question on BNF grammar in SIP url.
In BNF RFC, it is given that [       stands for 0 or 1 times the value.
It is given

SIP-URL = "sip:"  [userinfo '@'] hostport url-parameters....
user-info = user [":"password]
user = *(unreserved... )                          //optional

password = *(unreserved ...)                 //optional.

so, this leads to a url as:

sip::@hostport.                  So, with the above grammar, this is
valid.
is my understanding right?

Also, for hostport;

sip:userinfo@host:urlparms            //since port is optional.

Thanks much!

--
Sunitha Kumar
Software Engineer
Vovida Networks
(408) 957 - 6374

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 00:39:45 -0500

> is my understanding right?

Yes.

> sip:userinfo@host:urlparms            //since port is optional.

There will always be a semicolon before the urlparams, so:

sip:userinfo@host:;urlparams

-Jonathan R.
-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (732) 741-4778
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen         PHONE: (732) 741-7244
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 01:18:36 -0500

Henning pointed out to me that the BNF for host is not right. RFC1630
defines port as

port = digits
digits = digit [digits]

and RFC 1738 as

digits = 1*digit

which is what we should use (instead of the current *digit). This will
be fixed.

In this case, you could not have:

sip:user@host:;url-params

-Jonathan R.