Subject: What is a task force?

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 10:10:11 -0500

Folks,

Given the numerous mails I received regarding the various new task
forces, I thought I would take a moment to clarify what these task
forces are, and what they are supposed to do.

Task forces are also known as design teams. They are focused groups
whose aim is to generate documents that are presented to the broader
group. To be effective, they need to be small and be composed of people
who actively contribute. If you are generally interested in a subject,
and want to find out about it, or "lurk" as its called, the task force
is not for you. Being part of the task force means you are committed to
posting and working on generating a document in a timely fashion. Note
that outputs of the task force are always subject to broader review from
the main sip list. 

Task forces generally do their work via a separate mailing list.
Depending on the group, there may be conference calls and possibly face
to face meetings. It all depends on the level of commitment of the team
members and the amount of work to be done in the given time frame.

The new sip home line emulation service task force is first charged with
determining the requirements for this service. Once that is done, they
will generate an I-D which describes how to do it in SIP. I'm hoping for
about 1-2 months effort till the I-D gets done.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       200 Executive Drive
Chief Scientist                             Suite 120 
dynamicsoft                                 West Orange, NJ 07052
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (732) 741-4778
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen         PHONE: (732) 741-7244
http://www.dynamicsoft.com