Subject: About Multicast

From: "yinshaohua" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 08:56:38 +0800

Hi:
     I have a question regarding Multicast. The multicast is transmission of
the same data to a selected group of destinations.So the forking proxy is
the situation  of sending the SIP message to multicast address.
    In section 6.40 of RFC2543, there have "A proxy sending a request to a
multicast address must add 'maddr' pararmeter  to via header field ", But in
the section 16.5 of RFC2543, the example of forking proxy, the via header
have not add the "maddr" parameter.
    Is there wrong?

Shaohua Yin

---

From: Igor Slepchin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 20:10:17 -0500

Forking a request to several unicast addresses is by no means equivalent
to multicasting it. 
The example in section 16.5 does not proxy the request to a multicast
addresses but to four unicast addresses.

---
Igor Slepchin

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 20:24:24 -0500

> the situation  of sending the SIP message to multicast address.

No. Forking is not the same as multicast. Multicast refers to IP layer
multicast.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (732) 741-4778
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen         PHONE: (732) 741-7244
http://www.dynamicsoft.com