Subject: reg: SipURL

From: Krishan Veer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 17:55:00 -0800

Hi everyone ,

Is this will be considered as Valid format of SIP URL
<sip:[email-masked];user=phone>

can USER=PHONE come inside the angular brackets "<>" ? or it should be
always outside the angular brackets seperated by ";" ??

Thanks : )

--
Krishan veer
Software Engineer
http://www.vovida.com

---

From: Igor Slepchin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 19:13:35 -0500

> <sip:[email-masked];user=phone>

No, angle brackets are not allowed in SIP URLs. It is a valid form of
Contact, To or From headers, though.
 
> can USER=PHONE come inside the angular brackets "<>" ? 

It not only "can" but rather "should". It will be interpreted as a
header parameter if placed outside the brackets.

---
Igor Slepchin

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 19:27:29 -0500

> always outside the angular brackets seperated by ";" ??

Back to the point I made on the list and during the meeting, this issue
has been discussed countless times on the list, during the meetings, and
is described in the spec itself. I strongly encourage people to check
these resources for answers to their questions.

The SIP URL does not define the brackets. The brackets are part of the
formatting of the To, From, and other SIP header fields. These brackets
must appear around the URL (including its parameters) if the URL in that
header has URL paramteres. user is a URL parameter, so if you use it in
a To, From, Contact or whatever, it appears inside the bracket.

-Jonathan R.
-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (732) 741-4778
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen         PHONE: (732) 741-7244
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

---

From: Sunitha Kumar <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 18:11:42 -0800

Krishan:

If you look at the From or To fields and the  addr-spec param , this is
nothing but the SIP url, so it is From: <addr-spec> or
    From: name-addr; where name-addr is : display_name<addr-spec>
    and addr-spec = sipUrl.

So, what ever is contained in the SIP url goes into < >, including
user=phone.

Hope that helps.

sunitha