Subject: Re: Query on matching requests to responses at the proxies

From: Sean Olson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 08:39:56 -0600 (CST)

> 
> Sunitha Kumar wrote:
> > 
> > How do we match requests to responses at the proxies.( other than the
> > branch in the Via);
> > using preferably the fields in a CallLeg, ( so that the call can be
> > uniquely identified).
> > 
> > Ex: responses to 2 INVITES
> > Is it legal for the proxy to tag the from field of every request that
> > it forwards or proxies on, and remove the From tag, when the response
> > to that comes back, before passing it  downstream.  Making sure, that
> > each proxy on the way, adds itself to the record route.  So, they are
> > traversed on the way back.
> 

As already mentioned, this is a bad idea from an authentication point of view.
Don't underestimate the power of including a Via: branch. With some creativity
it can solve many many problems with correlating responses at proxies :) 

On that topic, is there any reason why a proxy shouldn't add a branch even if it does
NOT fork the request?

--
Sean Olson <[email-masked]>

---

From: Igor Slepchin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 13:24:36 -0500

Sean Olson wrote:
>
> On that topic, is there any reason why a proxy shouldn't add a branch 
> even if it does NOT fork the request?
> 

No reason, it's free to do that if it likes. Moreover, it probably
should if it wants to avoid balking on "fake" (aka spiral) loops
discussed earlier on the list).

---
Igor Slepchin