Subject: SIP for PSTN services

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2000 15:34:32 +0530

Hi,
We need to use SIP to connect to PSTN side Fax, click to dial etc.
I read through the PINT draft which is supposeldy catering to this type of
service.

However, I wanted to know which approach to select. Is PINT the standard
way for PSTN service interaction ?
It seems whatever PINT states can be done with regular SIP - or is that
incorrect

And is my understanding that PINT is nothing but SIP/SDP  with some
extensions and is analogous to the various SIP extensions drafts
that are in existence today ?

Thx
Regds
Arjun

--
Arjun Roychowdhury @ Hughes Software Systems

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 02:20:48 -0500

> It seems whatever PINT states can be done with regular SIP - or is that

PINT provides three specific functions - click-to-dial, click-to-fax,
and click-for-content. It is not a general purpose protocol for PSTN
service interaction. The scope of PSTN service interaction is
sufficiently large that I think there will be many ways. For example,
look at the recent SPIRITS working group.

It is possible to do these three services with vanilla SIP. There are
significant differences in how the service is delivered, though, with
pros and cons for both approaches. A colleague and I submitted a draft
on Friday entitled "Third Party Call Control in SIP", which looks at a
general purpose SIP approach for third party call control (its not an
extension, just a usage). One of the services discussed is click to
dial, and there is a brief comparison to pint. I'm sure there are other
ways of providing this service beyond pint and whats in the draft.

Until it appears in the archives, you can pick up a copy of the draft
at:
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen/papers/draft-rosenberg-sip-3pcc-00.txt

> that are in existence today ?

Yes. PINT extends SDP more than SIP, since it describes sessions that
are purely on the telephone network.

-Jonathan R.
-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       200 Executive Drive
Chief Scientist                             Suite 120 
dynamicsoft                                 West Orange, NJ 07052
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (732) 741-4778
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen         PHONE: (732) 741-7244
http://www.dynamicsoft.com