Subject: Several TCP connections for the same SIP transaction

From: "Alexei Prokofiev" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 16:41:42 +0300

Hi,

should a client UA accept replies of a transaction in case they are sent 
by a server UA via several TCP connections different from the one used 
to send the request of the transaction?

Thanks a lot!

-----------
Alexei Prokofiev,        mailto:[email-masked]
Software Engeneer,    
Mera Labs.

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 12:06:19 -0500

It depends on how forgiving your client is. A server is supposed to send
responses on the same connection the requests came from, if that
connection is still open. If the client closes the connection before the
response comes, the server should CANCEL. If, by chance, the CANCEL and
the actual final response pass on the wire, the server is supposed to
open a connection to the client to send the response. Sooo, a client
will already need to handle incoming connections for responses, but only
in this specific case. If a server opens a new connection to send a
response, and the initial one is still open, the server has erred. What
the client does (handle this or not) is at its discretion. Handling this
may be easy since it already needs to deal with a similar case.

-Jonathan R.

> Alexei Prokofiev wrote:

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       200 Executive Drive
Chief Scientist                             Suite 120 
dynamicsoft                                 West Orange, NJ 07052
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (732) 741-4778
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen         PHONE: (732) 741-7244
http://www.dynamicsoft.com