Subject: RE: Billing SIP proxy

From: "Fairlie-Cuninghame, Robert" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 20:40:59 -0800

I agree with Jay that this is not a SIP protocol issue but a network issue.
If you want to prevent hacked terminals located on your own network from
accessing the Internet then simply use a SIP Proxy-Firewall solution. Now
UAC's cannot access the outside Internet unless they authenticate themselves
to the proxy-firewall. Likewise, the proxy-firewall does not allow external
clients to talk to internal terminals without authentication. The
Authentication procedures are expressly designed to ensure that only valid
users have access to the proxy, however, you can only ensure that hacked
terminals do not _bypass_ the proxy by coupling the SIP proxy with a
firewall.

Cheers,

Robert.

---

From: Giuseppe Ricagni <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 19:04:28 +0200

"Fairlie-Cuninghame, Robert" wrote:

> accessing the Internet then simply use a SIP Proxy-Firewall solution.

 what if both terminals are on my same network ? Where do I put the firewall ?

Cheers
Giuseppe

> Now