Subject: Re: Stateful/Stateless proxies

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 09:07:50 +0530

Well, we could try each one in sequence , till success, as another option ?
I dont think the RFC states an action explicitly - this being seemingly an
implementation issue.

Regds
Arjun

--
Arjun Roychowdhury @ Hughes Software Systems

Shail Bhatnagar <[email-masked]> on 03/02/2000 05:44:14 AM

To:   [email-masked]
cc:

Subject:  Stateful/Stateless proxies

As per the FAQ on Henning's page - a stateless proxy cannot fork. However
it
will still try to find out the next hop based on some location service .
So,
what should the stateless proxy do if the location service returns more
than
one contact point  -
    * Send request  to only one
    * Send to all

Thanks,
Shail

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 00:39:08 -0500

A proxy can do sequential search as you suggest, but it also must be
stateful to do so (it needs to know that when a non-200 OK comes in
response to the first request, it must try the next one. This requires
state). So, doing sequential solves nothing. Remember, a stateless proxy
is a logical role. An actual server "box" can and will assume differing
logical roles on a call by call basis. If the location service returns
multiple Contacts, the server can be stateful for this transaction. An
alternative which enables stateless operation is to proxy to only the
contact with the highest q value, and none of the others. 

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       200 Executive Drive
Chief Scientist                             Suite 120 
dynamicsoft                                 West Orange, NJ 07052
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (732) 741-4778
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen         PHONE: (732) 741-7244
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

---

From: Dean Willis <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 10:34:00 -0600

The confusion factor is in the semantics of the language.

There are what I think os as "Call stateful", "transaction stateful", and
"stateless" proxies.

My hunch is that most business-useful proxies will end up being
fundamentally transaction stateful, with occasional transition to
call-stateful for things like parallel or sequential multiple contact
resolution. This "change of statefulness" occurs dynamically as part of the
processing logic in the proxy.

--
Dean

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked]
> [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Jonathan
> Rosenberg
> Sent: Wednesday, March 01, 2000 11:39 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: Shail Bhatnagar; [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: Stateful/Stateless proxies
>
>