Subject: Re: Billing SIP proxy

From: Scott Bradner <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 22:40:03 -0500 (EST)

> The question is: is it posible to define, to any extent, a mechanism
> capable of preventing the "hacked" terminal to bypass the proxy and call
> the "standard" endpoints witout being billed ?

if they are not making any special use of the network (like QoS
reservations or fancy proxy services ) why should they be billed
in a way that is different than any other best-effort use of the
network?

Scott

---

From: Giuseppe Ricagni <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 17:03:18 +0200

> in a way that is different than any other best-effort use of the

Hi Scott,

> in a way that is different than any other best-effort use of the

Some telephony applications are currently heavily billed, at a rate much
higher than the corresponding rate for pure best effort Internet access.

In some domains, network operators hold a kind of oligopoly, thanks to
government policies, that grant licencies only to a very restricted number of
operators.
Please don' t quote me on this, but I would say that there is no real
competition between them, at least not harsh competition.

At the moment, they are deciding wheter to continue with circuit switched
networks or whethether to adopt IP-based networks.

It is very likely that they make such a step *only* if they don' t see their
revenues reduced (hopefully, they would like to increase them !)

A model where best effort calls are free and QOS calls are billed will pobably
apply in the future, but not in the short run, at least IMHO.

Giuseppe