Subject: Re: Stateful/Stateless proxies

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 11:09:01 +0530

Oops yes, you are right.
I thought a stateless proxy would maintain intermediate-state (ie
transaction state, not complete call state) which is not the case.
so you cannot do sequential search as I initally mentioned.

Regds
Arjun

--
Arjun Roychowdhury @ Hughes Software Systems

is> Note that a proxy cannot fork, do sequential search on contacts or
return a redirect response
is> if it wants to remain stateless.

Igor Slepchin <[email-masked]> on 03/02/2000 10:51:02 AM

To:   Shail Bhatnagar <[email-masked]>
cc:   [email-masked]

Subject:  Re: Stateful/Stateless proxies

As was noted several times on this list, stateful or stateless are
logical entities, not physical proxy servers. A single physical proxy
may act as stateless in some situations and as stateful in others.

To answer your question, the proxy has several options in the case you
describe: it can act stateful, it can choose the location with the
highest q value, a random location, etc. Note that a proxy cannot fork,
do sequential search on contacts or return a redirect response if it
wants to remain stateless.

---
Igor Slepchin

Shail Bhatnagar wrote:
>
> As per the FAQ on Henning's page - a stateless proxy cannot fork. However
it
> will still try to find out the next hop based on some location service .
So,
> what should the stateless proxy do if the location service returns more
than
> one contact point  -
>     * Send request  to only one
>     * Send to all
>
> Thanks,
> Shail

---

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 09:16:34 -0500

> so you cannot do sequential search as I initally mentioned.

For those new to SIP and the list, it might be helpful to consult the
SIP FAQ first (see http://www.cs.columbia.edu/sip). This particular
question is summarized there, as is the discussion on billing we just
had.

-- 
Henning Schulzrinne   http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs