Subject: Activation of Call Forwarding in Proxy Server

From: "HEMANT AGRAWAL" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 09:05:35 +0530

Hi ,
       In Ref. to Sec. 2.5 "Call Forwarding Unconditional" etc of
"draft-sparks-sip-service-examples-00".
      Can anybody tell me how to tell the proxy server "calls to me at my
registered URL should be forwarded to another URL."
          Is there any feature activation procedures in SIP  (In H.323,
H.450.3 have procedures for activating CFU etc. features in Gatekeeper)

Regards,
Hemant

_______________________________________________________
Hemant Agrawal                                 Tel:(Off.) 91-80-5539134 ext.
407
COE - Voice Over IP                                (Res.) 91-80-3499383
Wipro Technologies - Telecom Solutions.
Email: [email-masked]
" Govindam adi-purusam tam aham bhajami"

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 09:32:20 -0500

By "activation", I assume you mean how these features are turned on by
the users? Users can upload CPL scripts to specify the features they
want. SIP itself does not specify ways to turn on and off features.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       200 Executive Drive
Chief Scientist                             Suite 120 
dynamicsoft                                 West Orange, NJ 07052
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (732) 741-4778
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen         PHONE: (732) 741-7244
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

---

From: Dean Willis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 16:12:23 -0600

How a features is activated (or even defined) is very much up to the logic
of the feature server.

The system I use works in several ways.

I initially define a user profile that contains one or more device entries
and zero or more schedules and zero or more rules for calling parties. There
is also a web page for turning features like unconditional forwarding on and
off.

Some of the device entries are "dynamic" -- they have to have an active
registration to be considered. Others are static, and do not require
registrations.

An incoming call is iterated through the device enries and the schedule and
the contacts. It may be routed to a phone, or voice mail, or whatever,
perhaps dependent on the time of day, the identity of the caller, the state
of my devices, and additional application logic.

So, I have several ways to change what is happening:

1) I can use the web interface to change my profile.
2) One or more of the devices can register on my behalf.
3) A third-party system can submit a registration on my behalf.

With CPL, we could add:

1) I upload a new CPL using a file transfer
2) I upload a new CPL with a REGISTER message
3) I use a GUI-tool on a web server to build and apply a new CPL

With CGI, options 1 and 3 above apply . . , and so on.

The question you aske is something akin to "How do I forward my email?",
where the options include a .forward file, an /etc/aliases entry, a
mailertable, a procmail script, etc. Many solutions might apply.

--
Dean

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked]
> [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of HEMANT
> AGRAWAL
> Sent: Monday, March 06, 2000 9:36 PM
> To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Activation of Call Forwarding in Proxy Server
>
>
> Hi ,