Subject: question in record-route

From: Sunitha Kumar <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 13:10:10 -0800

In record route, it is given that : if the response contained  a contact
header field, the user agent adds its content as the last route header.

the question is;

1. after copying the content header field as the last record route item,
should the content header field be deleted?  ( it doesn't make sense
otherwise)

2. Can the response containig Record route;   contain more than one
contat headers, and in that case, do all the contact headers be copied
on to the route, and the contact headers deleted?

thanks much!

--
Sunitha Kumar
Software Engineer
Vovida Networks
(408) 957 - 6374

---

From: Igor Slepchin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 13:18:00 -0500

Sunitha Kumar wrote:
> In record route, it is given that : if the response contained  a
> contact header field, the user agent adds its content as the last
> route header.
>
> the question is;
> 
> 1. after copying the content header field as the last record route
> item, should the content header field be deleted?  ( it doesn't make
> sense otherwise)

The UAC should never copy UAS's Contact in its own future requests
regardless of whether Record-Route is present or not.
 
> contat headers, ?

No. Record-Route is only relevant for 200 class responses and those
responses should never contain more than one Contact (with the exception
of 2xx responses to REGISTER but it makes little sense to set up a
Record-Route for those anyway).

---
Igor Slepchin

---

From: Sunitha Kumar <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 17:32:30 -0800

> regardless of whether Record-Route is present or not.

So, then, is there some inconsistency in the RFC, that needs to be
addressed?

Thanks!

--
Sunitha Kumar
Software Engineer
Vovida Networks
(408) 957 - 6374

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 17:42:56 -0500

> So, then, is there some inconsistency in the RFC, that needs to be

No; the RFC never says to copy the Contact field from the response to
subsequent requests.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       200 Executive Drive
Chief Scientist                             Suite 120 
dynamicsoft                                 West Orange, NJ 07052
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (732) 741-4778
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen         PHONE: (732) 741-7244
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

---

From: Igor Slepchin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 17:34:10 -0500

> So, then, is there some inconsistency in the RFC, that needs to be

I don't really see any. If a UAC receives a response with Record-Route
and a Contact, it adds the value from the Contact as the last element in
the Route header it constructs. The future requests from UAC will then
be forwarded according to the Route. If a UAC receives a request with a
Contact and no Record-Route, it will send future requests to the entity
listed in the Contact. In neither case will it copy the Contact header
of the response into its own requests.

---
Igor Slepchin