Subject: SIP 1xx Response...

From: Manjunath Bangalore <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2000 15:19:11 -0800 (PST)

Hi!
 I had a question about the usage of the SIP "100 Trying" 
response message. I wanted to know if it is acceptable to
include a SIP message body with a session description.
I see a reference in Section 8.1 of the RFC that all
responses MAY include a body. I wanted to get more information
regarding this in the context of the "100 Trying" Response.

Thanks,
-Manjax

---

From: Shail Bhatnagar <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2000 18:25:57 -0500

> regarding this in the context of the "100 Trying" Response.

100 would be consumed by the stateful proxy - so there is no point 
including it in the "100 Trying" response.

-- 
Best regards,
Shail

---

From: Manjunath Bangalore <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2000 15:37:27 -0800 (PST)

Hello,
  
> including it in the "100 Trying" response.

  Assuming there is no proxy in the scenario under consideration
 (eg: GW <---> GW), I wanted to know if it is acceptable to do that...

Thanks,
-Manjax

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2000 17:22:35 -0500

>  (eg: GW <---> GW), I wanted to know if it is acceptable to do that...

Big assumption, and it will be wrong in any interesting case. I would
highly recommend against doing this. Odds are good that most UAs won't
look at the contents of a 100 response, since its hop by hop. If you
want some kind of early media, why not use the 183 message, designed for
this purpose?

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       200 Executive Drive
Chief Scientist                             Suite 120 
dynamicsoft                                 West Orange, NJ 07052
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (732) 741-4778
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen         PHONE: (732) 741-7244
http://www.dynamicsoft.com