Subject: Question on RTP

From: Dohoon Kim <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 16:57:38 +0900

The caller lists the codecs avaiable in the session description in an
INIVTE,
then the callee lists the codecs which can be supported among them.

If multiple codec is available in a media stream, such as

m=audio 1 RTP/AVP 0 1

which codec should be selected by caller,

and how can the callee know which codec is selected?

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 11:00:49 -0500

> which codec should be selected by caller,

Any one they want.

> and how can the callee know which codec is selected?

By the payload type number in the RTP packets.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       200 Executive Drive
Chief Scientist                             Suite 120 
dynamicsoft                                 West Orange, NJ 07052
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (732) 741-4778
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen         PHONE: (732) 741-7244
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 08:45:36 +0200

Hi,

I like to add one more question:

Is it absolutely necessary that both direction use the same type of
codec ?

/Kimmo

---

From: Colin Perkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 08:23:36 +0000

>Is it absolutely necessary that both direction use the same type of

No.

Colin