Subject: [SIP] FW: 911 and other issues

From: Peter Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 18:39:35 -0800

I would point out that the TIA, the ANSI sanctioned standards body for
telephone systems has been working on E911 location and many other system
issues through the TR41.4 working committee. I forward to you the last
meeting report from November of that committee as an example of work in the
area. Website is www.tiaonline.org <http://www.tiaonline.org> . Additional
participation from the SIP community would be appreciated in this work.
Other system issues under consideration by
TR41.4 are:
    1. E911 Location
    2. CALEA Requirements
    3. International Emergency Preparedness Scheme (IEPS) for priority
calling
    4. TDD compatibility for the Deaf Community
    5. Transmission Plans
These topics span beyond the range of a specific signaling protocol and
system wide solutions must be found that may require the modification
of the signaling protocols as part of the solution. The TIA is the forum for
the system level part of this work and is looked on by the government to set
the necessary recommendations and standards. Input can then be sent back to
the various standards bodies that control each of the protocols that
are integral to IP telephony. Participation is welcome.
 
Other work going on that may be of interest is the development of wide band
audio standards for IP telephony in addition to the current 
standard for narrow band, loss and level plans for voice gateways, and whole
product standards for IP telephones that refer to standards by
other bodies including the SIP RFCs. Telephones and telephone systems are
much more than just a single signaling protocol and interoperation
amongst IP devices that run different protocols is important if IP
telephones are to replace the current PSTN infrastructure. Legislative
impairments will exist if we cannot replace the current functionality of the
existing system and improve it for the future.
 
Peter Baker

----------------------------------------------------------- 
Peter Baker 
V.P. Engineering 
Circa Communications Ltd. 
1000 West 14th Street 
North Vancouver, V7P 3P3 
CANADA 
phone:604 990 5415 x105 
Fax:    604 990 5475 
email: [email-masked] 

-----Original Message----- 

From: Henry Lum 

Sent: Monday, March 12, 2001 9:29 AM 

To: Peter Baker; Phil Holland 

Subject: FW: 911

This may be of interest to you. 

-----Original Message----- 

From: Sandra Turner [ mailto:[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> ] 

Sent: Saturday, March 10, 2001 5:59 AM 

To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked];
[email-masked]; Henry Lum; [email-masked];
[email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked];
[email-masked] 

Cc: [email-masked] 

Subject: Fwd: 911

Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 06:22:13 -0700 

To: [email-masked],[email-masked] 

From: Sandra Turner <[email-masked]> 

Subject: 911 

Cc: [email-masked]

In our investigation as to whether or not to offer IP telephony as a service
where I work, one of the major stumbling blocks has been 911 (if you move
your IP phone to another office and have a heart attack, how will the
emergency services people know where to go).  I've established a mailing
list (  <http://lists.cs.columbia.edu/mailman/listinfo/911>
http://lists.cs.columbia.edu/mailman/listinfo/911) and would like to propose
the following for discussion: 

- Use http://www.cs.columbia.edu/sip/drafts/draft-schulzrinne-sip-911-00.pdf
<http://www.cs.columbia.edu/sip/drafts/draft-schulzrinne-sip-911-00.pdf>  as
the start of the requirements document 

- Ask for authors interested in completing the requirements document 

- Solicit feedback on whether a group of authors or an appointed design team
should complete a draft which would form the basis of an RFC 

- Discuss both the campus and residential/carrier environments (former may
have multiple PSAPs and/or own in-house emergency response system [e.g.
fire department], rather than the town/city)