Subject: [SIP] SIP Registration interval

From: Baniel Uri-CUB001 <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 13:34:18 -0600

Bis02 para 6.25 says:

"The server MAY choose a shorter time interval than that requested by the
client"
What is the rational behind? Is it just for reducing the table size at the
registrar? Is it also for getting better control from
validation/authentication/services perspective?

Uri

_______________________________________________
This list is for continuing development of the SIP protocol.
The sip-implementor's list is the place to discuss implementation,
and to receive advice on understanding existing sip.
To subscribe to it, send mail to 
[email-masked] with "subscribe" in the body.

---

From: "Henning G. Schulzrinne" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 14:37:24 -0500

> validation/authentication/services perspective?

Yes. A server may not appreciate having to store your identity for the
next 38 years. States time out so that UAs that crash (or whose network
becomes disconnected for extended periods of time) don't tie up server
resources forever.
-- 
Henning Schulzrinne   http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs