Subject: [SIP] a basic question

From: kanumuri sreeram <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 00:30:59 -0800 (PST)

hi all can u make me clear with this basic question.

what is SAP-sesssion anouncement protocol and

what is SDP for can u make me clear.

and what RTP and RTSP for??

can u make me clear with an example.

sreeram

---------------------------------
Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Mail Personal Address - Get email at your own domain with Yahoo! Mail.

---

From: Sunitha Kumar <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 10:24:07 -0800

These are all different protocols,
SAP- Session Annoncement Protocol- RFC 2974, found at
ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2974.txt
This is basically used to advertise locations.  So, in a SIP context, a
location server could learnof other
clients by the SAP annoncements of those clients.

SDP- Session Description Protocol - RFC 2327, found at
ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2327.txt
This is used for defining multimedia sessions , and is carried as a
MIME in SIP message.
The example is also contained in SIP messages (INVITE message)

SDP is used in signalling in a SIP message. The below two are used, once
we are sending media.

RTP - Real time transport protocol - RFC 1889, found at
ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc1889.txt
This is used to provide network functions, for transmitting real time
data, such as audio, video.

RTSP - Real time streaming protocol - RFC 2326, found at
ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2326.txt
This provides mechanism to control streams of media.

For examples, please look at RFCs.
Hope that helps
sunitha

kanumuri sreeram wrote:

> -----------------------------------------------------------------------
> Do You Yahoo!?

--
Sunitha Kumar
http://www.cisco.com