Subject: [SIP] What server response is returned for a bad password?

From: Harleen Gill <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 14:23:39 -0800

What response does a server return when an INVITE supplies authorization 
credentials but with the wrong password?

The 401 Unauthorized response is returned if authorization credentials are 
required but is this also the response if the authorization credentials are 
wrong?  In this case, is the 403 Forbidden response returned?

_______________________________________________
This list is for continuing development of the SIP protocol.
The sip-implementor's list is the place to discuss implementation,
and to receive advice on understanding existing sip.
To subscribe to it, send mail to 
[email-masked] with "subscribe" in the body.

---

From: "Henning G. Schulzrinne" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 17:30:49 -0500

> credentials but with the wrong password?

Same as HTTP: 401 again.

> wrong?  In this case, is the 403 Forbidden response returned?

Forbidden is generally returned if the server recognizes you, but still
doesn't like you, based on authentication, IP address or who knows what
else.

-- 
Henning Schulzrinne   http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs