Subject: [SIP] Reliability of non-INVITE requests

From: Gonzalo Camarillo <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 22:43:26 +0200

Hello,

Section 10.2 of rfc2543bis deals with reliability for non-INVITE
requests.
It explains that a SIP client using UDP should continue retransmitting a
request even after having received a provisional response.

However, if the SIP client uses TCP does not have to retransmit the
request at all.

I believe there is an inconsistency between both behaviors (TCP and
UDP).

Could somebody clarify this?

Thanks,

Gonzalo
-- 
Gonzalo Camarillo                    Phone :   +1 212 939 71 71
Columbia University                  Mobile:  +358 40 702 35 35
472 Computer Science Building        Fax   :  +358  9 299 30 52
1214 Amsterdam Ave., Mail Code 0401  http://www.hut.fi/~gonzalo
New York, NY 10027                   
USA                              [email-masked]

_______________________________________________
This list is for continuing development of the SIP protocol.
The sip-implementor's list is the place to discuss implementation,
and to receive advice on understanding existing sip.
To subscribe to it, send mail to 
[email-masked] with "subscribe" in the body.

---

From: Igor Slepchin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 15:59:34 -0500

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Gonzalo Camarillo [mailto:[email-masked]]
> <...>
> If I use UDP, I retransmit the request until I get a provisional
> response. When I get the provisional response, I am sure that 
> the proxy
> got my request.
> <...>
> Why do I have to continue retransmissions in UDP?
> 

To ensure the reliability of the final response (it may be lost if sent over
UDP).

---
Igor Slepchin