Subject: [SIP] Response if user not registered?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 00:41:44 +0300

Hi,

In some environments (3G etc.) user has to be registered before being able
to issue outgoing requests. It seems that 2543bis has no directly suitable
response code for a scenario where the outbound or home proxy wants to ask
the user to register before e.g. INVITE is accepted: 

UA ------------->INVITE------------> Proxy
UA <---4XX Registration Required---- Proxy

Is there anything that could be (mis)used, e.g. 402 Payment Required, or
should a new one be defined? Or did I miss it?

Markus

_______________________________________________
This list is for continuing development of the SIP protocol.
The sip-implementor's list is the place to discuss implementation,
and to receive advice on understanding existing sip.
To subscribe to it, send mail to 
[email-masked] with "subscribe" in the body.

---

From: Juha Heinanen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 10:01:21 +0300 (EEST)

[email-masked] writes:

 > to issue outgoing requests.

why is that so?  why isn't it enough that the caller is able to
authenticate itself, i.e., prove that it has subscribed to the service?
registration should only be needed for receiving incoming calls.

-- juha