Subject: Re: [SIP] SIP through Firewalls Revisited

From: John Lazzaro <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2001 19:04:34 -0800

> +: firewall admin bought the cheapest code she could find, is glad that
> she doesn't have to upgrade the firewall to support this strange SIP
> stuff, and otherwise doesn't care.
>
> -: firewall admin is annoyed with people that try to circumvent rules
> that only allow certain traffic types, and reports you to your boss, who
> doesn't know about the technical details, but certainly knows about
> company rules. You're asked to clean out your desk.

Yes, in the eyes of the network security person in part II above, an IETF
standard that instructs implementors in how to circumvent firewalls is akin
to publishing Phrack issues as BCPs :-). However, for someone making products
targeted to SOHO's who cluelessly bought el-cheapo firewall box, an IETF
standard of this type is a product-saver. I fear we're leaving the land
of the technical and entering the techno-political, unfortunately ...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
John Lazzaro -- Research Specialist -- CS Division -- EECS -- UC Berkeley
lazzaro [at] cs [dot] berkeley [dot] edu     www.cs.berkeley.edu/~lazzaro
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
This list is for continuing development of the SIP protocol.
The sip-implementor's list is the place to discuss implementation,
and to receive advice on understanding existing sip.
To subscribe to it, send mail to 
[email-masked] with "subscribe" in the body.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 6 Mar 2001 10:56:50 -0000

From that perspective I would like to thank Jonathan's third
document (along with Jiri K. and P. Srisuresh) "MIDCOM Archichecture & Framework"
that legitimizes midcom as an approach for firewall traversal.
Of course there are many methods to traverse a firewall, we feel this
is hack free.

Shiv

sip:[email-masked]  <<< --- working sip uri based on midcom
approach