Subject: [Sip] Media goes draft

From: Christer Holmberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 14:00:56 +0300

Hi,

A small idea...

We now have a number of SIP extensions, defined in separate drafts, and
things like compression and security will also be outside the core bis
document. This way is very good and flexible, and the bis doesn't have
to be changed every time there is a change elsewhere.

I have been thinking of this before, and it came back now when the early
media draft was released: why not make the whole SIP media handling as a
separate draft? Some advantages I see:

1. Today we have SDP, tomorrow maybe SDPng, so we still would have to
write a separate document for that, or update the RFC2543 again.

2. Annex B is IP specific, even IPv4 specific, so we still will have to
write separate documents how SIP uses SDP for IPv6 bearers/ATM
bearers/whatever-future bearers (I KNOW there allready are separate
documents some of these).

3. It would be possible to go into the handling of EACH media- and
bearer type much more in detail.

4. All media handling, including services like call hold, media
modification and early media, would be in the same document.

I know that doing this is not very high on the priority list, but I also
don't think that it would take very much time (to start with, we only
have to cut-paste Annex B...:).

Just an idea. Comments?

Christer Holmberg
Ericsson Finland

Ps. I think that doing this would also make things more clear for those
who still think that SIP is a protocol used to transport media :)

---

From: "Tom-PT Taylor" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 15:37:38 -0400

I like it!

Tom Taylor
[email-masked]
Ph. +1 613 736 0961 (ESN 396 1490)

-----Original Message-----
From: Christer Holmberg [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, July 26, 2001 7:01 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Sip] Media goes draft

Hi,

A small idea...

Just an idea. Comments?

Christer Holmberg
Ericsson Finland