Subject: [Sip] new I-D on recovery of UA failures

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2001 01:53:43 -0400

Folks,

I've submitted an I-D to the archives which discusses the problem of
"crash-and-restart" recovery in a SIP UA. It discusses broader, more
interesting applications of the recovery mechanism, and details the
requirements on how to do it effectively.

Until it appears in the archives, you can pick up a copy at:
http://www.jdrosen.net/papers/draft-rosenberg-sip-reconstitute-00.txt

-Jonathan R.

---
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Vijay Gurbani <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 16:51:12 -0500

> requirements on how to do it effectively.

Jonathan:

Quick question: in Section 4, when UA3 cannot reconstitute a call (after 
UA2, the original UA, has failed), why does UA1 send a BYE?  Does sending a 
BYE help at all?  If UA3 could not reconstitute the call, it will probably 
not be able to process the BYE as well.

Regards,

- vijay
-- 
Vijay K. Gurbani  vkg@{lucent.com,research.bell-labs.com,acm.org}
Internet Software and eServices Group 
Lucent Technologies/Bell Labs Innovations 263 Shuman Blvd., Rm 1A-413
Naperville, Illinois 60566     Voice: +1 630 224 0216   Fax: +1 630 713 0184