Subject: [Sip] comments on draft-campbell-sip-e164-00.txt

From: "Neil Deason" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 14:00:48 +0100

Some comments as requested:
- The title of the draft in the page headers appears mangled to me. 
It also doesn't match the published name 
(draft-campbell-sip-e164-00.txt).

- Section 'User Agent Client' says "A UAC that is configured to 
use a local outbound proxy SHOULD not use enum." This could use 
a SHOULD NOT.

- On the editors note about including text re: interpreting the 
NAPTR RRs. I can't see what needs to be added beyond RFC 2916.

- Application Examples: E.164 as a Universal Identifier. The editor 
identifies this as a somewhat ill advised thing to do so other 
examples would be preferable. Would an example of how a 1800 
number could be mapped on to an IP endpoint in a SIP network 
be a better example?

- Reference [1] has moved on from an ID to RFC 2916.

- On a personal level I was left wondering what this draft 
really says beyond that SIP entities can try to use DNS to 
resolve E.164 numbers. The how this works is dealt with by 
RFC 2916 and I am not sure what really can be said about the 
why and when this is done. Not that the draft doesn't offer 
sensible advice but the decision ultimately seems to be a 
local policy decision. 

One thing that could have added interest would have been some 
info on how TRIP may relate to routing to E.164 numbers on SIP 
networks. If there is more than one path open for making the 
routing decision precedence may need specifying. There is a 
draft on ENUM, SIP URIs, TRIP, and Gateways: 
http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ymbk-enum-trip-00.txt
A reference or even some closer co-operation between the 
authors may be of interest.

Cheers,
Neil.
--
Ubiquity Software Corporation, UK        http://www.ubiquity.net

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip