Subject: RE: [Sip] bis-04 available!

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 14:08:58 -0600

Jonathan,

 Section 16.3 includes the following updated language in the second
paragraph (thanks):

The URL SHOULD NOT contain the
transport parameter, but can in private networks where it is known
that elements on both sides of the proxy support the specific
transport.   

 However, the following language in paragraph 4 also needs to be modified so
there is no conflict:

The proxy MAY modify the Record-Route
value matching the one it inserted into the request. Like the URL in
the request, it MUST be a SIP URL and MUST NOT contain a transport
parameter. 

 I'd also like to note that since the Record-Route may be modified, it is
possible the transport could be modified, thus elements on both sides of the
proxy may not need to support the specific transport as the first modified
language indicates.  For example, leave off the transport on the
Record-Route of an Invite going into the private network so UDP defaults on
the inside, and include transport=tls in the 200 OK's Record-Route when
interfacing with another element over an unsecure network.  This allows
subsequent requests to run over the same secure connection an initial
transaction ran over, without requiring the same transport on the other side
of the proxy.

John

-----Original Message-----
From: Jonathan Rosenberg [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, July 24, 2001 1:33 AM
To: [email-masked]'
Subject: [Sip] bis-04 available!

Folks,

I have submitted an updated version of the bis specification,
draft-ietf-sip-rfc2543bis-04. This should appear in the archives later this
week. In the meantime, you can pick up a copy from:

http://www.jdrosen.net/papers/draft-ietf-sip-rfc2543bis-04.txt
http://www.jdrosen.net/papers/draft-ietf-sip-rfc2543bis-04.ps
http://www.jdrosen.net/papers/draft-ietf-sip-rfc2543bis-04.pdf

Some people complained about difficulties downloading the PDF version from
the site, so I have also left a copy at:

http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen/draft-ietf-sip-rfc2543bis-04.pdf
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen/draft-ietf-sip-rfc2543bis-04.ps
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen/draft-ietf-sip-rfc2543bis-04.txt

The changes between bis-03 and bis-04 are a collection of mostly minor
stuff, detailed in Appendix J.

Thanks,
Jonathan R.

---
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip