Subject: [Sip] use of outbound proxies

From: Terry L Anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 14:43:14 -0400

draft-ietf-sip-rfc2543bis-04 appears to have contradictory rule on
routing of subsequent requests.  15.4 (next to last paragraph) appears
to say that whenever UAC is configured with an outbound proxy, it sends
all subsequent requests there regardless of Request-URI (and so
regardless of route list).

But 16.4.1 appears to say the UAC does this only if there are no Route
headers or UA has no support for DNS.

Which is the intended behavior?
1) always route to outbound proxy
2) use outbound proxy only as last resort, for subsequent requests

and shouldn't one of these be edited so that they agree.

--
Waiting for the other shoe to drop but hoping its a one legged man.
------------------------------------------------------------
Terry L Anderson              mailto:[email-masked]
Tel:908.582.7013   Fax:908.582.6729
Lucent Technologies/INS/Voice Over IP Access Networks
Rm 2B-121, 600 Mountain Av, Murray Hill, NJ 07974
http://its.lucent.com/~tla (Lucent internal) http://www.gti.net/tla

---

From: Christer Holmberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 22:01:07 +0300

Hi,

This issue was raised on a list a while ago, but after the IETF meeting
I haven't heard anything. I don't even know if it was discussed there
(at least it was not, if I remember correct, on Jonathan's list of open
issues).

Regards,

Christer Holmberg
Ericsson Finland

---

From: Juha Heinanen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 09:45:46 +0300

> 2) use outbound proxy only as last resort, for subsequent requests

i brought this same issue up before the london ietf.  i don't think that
there is any conclusion yet.  if a firewall restricts sip traffic only
to the outbound proxy, then 1) is the only possible choice.  one could
argue that in that case the outbound proxy should record route, which
would make the problem go away.  on the other hand, the outbound proxy
may not be controlled by the same entity as the firewall and may not
want to record route.

-- juha

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip