Subject: [Sip] SIP To: or Not SIP To:, Route is the Question? Was ( To and Request URI)

From: "Dean Willis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 21:52:30 -0500

Please excuse me for recycling part of a note from another conversation and
for abusing Hamlet's line. Orry, it's been one of those weeks . . .

The To: field can be envisioned as an indicator TO THE USER (or agents
thereof) of the "intent" or "original target" of a call.

For example:

Let's say my boss goes out of town and forward his phone calls to me.
Somewhere, there's a proxy replacing the RequestURI of his phone with one
that delivers INVITEs to my phone instead.

But when the call shows up at my phone, the To: field is still "boss" (Ok,
sip:[email-masked]) .

So when I look at my GUI before answering a call, I know that the call was
originally to my boss, and has just been delivered to me because of some
sort of call forwarding. I may choose to give this call higher (or lower)
priority than I might otherwise, or do some sort of different handling as I
think appropriate, like not answer "WHASSSUP!!!" at the top of my voice.

Or, software in my phone (or proxy) could do something with this
information. For example, I might have a script in my phone that says "If
a call is To: my boss, play distinctive ring #4, even when I'm in no-ring
mode."

This isn't really "routing" of the call -- it's more "application processing
using supplemental information".

--
Dean

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip