Subject: [Sip] 407 Proxy Authentication Required with ACK

From: Sami Keski-Kasari <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 16:37:48 +0300

Can anyone say why it is possible to use Proxy Authentication with ACK? 
(rfc2543 page 41 table 5 or draft rfc2543-bis04 page 40 table 5 , 
mentioned as optional).

We are trying to use Columbia University's sipd 1.18 with Cisco 7960 
SIP-phones. After enabling Digest Authentication speech goes only from 
caller to callee because our sipd sends "407 Proxy Authentication 
Required" after receiving ACK and Cisco's SIP-phones doesn't support 
that. And they seems not to be willing fix it unless there are any good 
reason.

As they said:
"From a more practical point of view, at that poinnt the remote end's 
phone already ringed and the call has been answered, that means we are 
in CONNECTED and any the billing of the call is started. It makes little 
or no sense at all to worry about authorization when the call is up. On 
the contrary, the 407 should be sent back as answer to the INVITE."

And I can't see any use of that either.

-- 
Sami Keski-Kasari
Research Assistant
Tampere University of Technology/
Telecom lab.

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: "James Undery" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 15:24:32 +0100

An ACK should never generate a response (section 5.1.1 paragraph 2) so any
further discussion is really meaningless, the sipd is at fault if it
responds to an ACK.

However the tables 4 and 5 should really be changed so that all headers are
marked as  "-" in responses to ACKs. Paragraph 2 of section 5.1.1 perhaps
also ought to be "The ACK request MUST NOT generate responses for any
transport protocol.", just to make it absolutely explicit.

James Undery

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Sami
Keski-Kasari
Sent: 28 August 2001 14:38
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Sip] 407 Proxy Authentication Required with ACK

As they said: