Subject: [Sip] Refresher field of Session-Expires

From: "Connie Blanchard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 16:47:06 -0400

In the Protocol Overview in draft 05 of Session Timer, it states in one
paragraph that:

"In all cases, the proxy MUST NOT insert or modify the value of the
"refresher" parameter in the Session-Expires header."

Then in a few paragraphs later, it states that a proxy can add a
Session-Expires header and set the "refresher" parameter to "uac".

I am assuming the MUST NOT only applies to Session-Expires that are inserted
by another entity, and a proxy can insert the refresher parameter if it
inserts the header. But the paragraph that includes the MUST NOT statement
also talks about a proxy inserting a Session Expires header.

Should this be clarified or do I need another cup of java?

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 06:40:47 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Session Initiation Protocol Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: SIP Session Timer
	Author(s)	: S. Donovan, J. Rosenberg
	Filename	: draft-ietf-sip-session-timer-05.txt
	Pages		: 28
	Date		: 24-Jul-01
	
This document proposes an extension to the Session Initiation
Protocol (SIP). This extension allows for a periodic refresh of SIP
sessions through a re-INVITE. The refresh allows both user agents and
proxies to determine if the SIP session is still active. The
extension defines a new general header, Session-Expires, which
conveys the lifetime of the session.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sip-session-timer-05.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-sip-session-timer-05.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sip-session-timer-05.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.