Subject: [Sip] Sip Timers

From: "Brian Stucker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 13:49:25 -0500

Hey, noticed the discussion about timers has reappeared on the list. 

Here's a possible solution.

 <<draft-bssp-sip-ctimer00.txt.txt>> 

Regards,

Brian

---

From: "Eric Burger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 09:05:59 -0400

At best this is a hint; I'd call it such (like Timers-Hint).  Calling it
Session-Timers sounds like a request.  Yes, the implementer should read the
draft before implementing it, but that doesn't always happen :-(

I have a more fundamental issue with the concept.  How does the originating
UAC know about the network topology from the originating UAC to the
terminating UAC?  Likewise, what if each UAC has a high-speed connection to
their proxy, their proxy has a high-speed connection to an IP-IXC, but in
the middle of the IP-IXC, there's a slow connection?  Each UAC sees a
high-speed connection, so they won't give good hints.

The draft does hint (correctly) that this is a hop-by-hop issue.  The
parameter isn't a top-level (end-to-end) UAC attribute; it is hop-by-hop
(tie it to Via?  If so, how would it survive crossing proxy boundaries?  Is
that an issue at all?

Also, there's a typo in the example in section 2.1.  I presume that the
example should read
     Session-Timers: T1=800;T2=1200
and not
     Context-Timers: T1=800;T2=1200

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip