Subject: [Sip] MUST 200 OK contain SDP?

From: Juha Heinanen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 19:09:06 +0300

12.1 says:

1xx responses to INVITE requests MAY contain session descriptions.
...
2xx responses to INVITE requests contain session descriptions.

at least one vendor is interpreting the lack of MUST in the second
sentence to mean that since the sdp already was in 180 ringing, they
don't need to repeat it in 200 ok. that interpretation, however, is not
liked by some other sip phones.

the former interpretation may be correct, since according to
ietf rules, only MUST means must.

-- juha

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Christer Holmberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 21:48:00 +0300

Hi,

The spec is correct - the 2xx MUST contain a session description. For
example, you may receive multiple 18x provisional responses, from
different users, and all with different session descriptions, and you
don't always know (if there aren't any tags) which "belongs" to the 200.

Regards,

Christer Holmberg
Ericsson Finland

---

From: Juha Heinanen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 22:09:44 +0300 (EEST)

Christer Holmberg writes:

 > The spec is correct - the 2xx MUST contain a session description. 

the spec is not correct before the word MUST appears in the the 2xx
sentence.

-- juha

---

From: Christer Holmberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 22:18:46 +0300

True.

Christer (lmfchh)