Subject: [Sip] Open Issue #10: Stripping maddr

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 17:45:32 -0400

Issue:

There has been debate in the past about whether a proxy strips a maddr from
the r-uri when it uses that maddr to send the request. IN other words, a
proxy receives a request, invokes a location service, and ends up with an
r-uri that looks like:

sip:[email-masked];maddr=1.2.3.4

It therefore sends the request to 1.2.3.4:5060. When this is placed in the
request URI, should that maddr be stripped or not? 

Points to consider:

THe current text in Section 16.5 of bis-04 are clear that it should strip
it. The text also results in things working fine even if its not stripped.
However, there was little comment on this text, despite the large amounts of
email that flew around on the issue itself.

Some have argued that maddr should not be stripped, so that middleboxes can
figure out where the request is going from the sip layer itself (of course,
they can figure it out from the destination ip as well). I personally don't
find this one very compelling.

Proposal:

Consensus at the meeting, without much discussion or objection, was that the
current text is fine.

Speak now or forever hold your peace.

-Jonathan R.

---
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip