Subject: Re: [Sip] Introducing the "new bis" - draft-ietf-sip-rfc2543bis-05

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 12:59:15 EDT

Jonathan,

Regarding priority:

In Section 26, BNF,  (Page 185) the format for Priority got mixed up. Some 
extra spaces were inserted.

We have to figure what these defined values mean for the actual usage. The 
question is:

Why was the list of priorities taken from RFC 2076 rather than from RFC 791? 
RFC 2076 was informational and copied the list from RFC 1327 (which was 
obsoleted by RFC 2156), They addressed mapping between X.400 and RFC 822, but 
RFC 822 did not mention any such values. RFC 791 (and appropriate existing 
telephony standards) should form the basis of the priority definition field 
in SIP.

At this point, since I presume that no one would agree to deleting the 
current values in RFC 2543, tokens should be added to correspond to the 5 
values defined in RFC 791 (and also in current telephony standards such as 
ITU-T Q.735) which are required for military networks.

The alternative, as I detailed in a previous e-mail, is to add 5 new generic 
values like "LEVEL0", "LEVEL1", "LEVEL 2", etc. and let networks or countries 
associate whatever words with these levels that they want.

Also, there needs to be an explicit statement concerning the order of the 
present and the new values. There is no order specified for the current set. 
Different people would come to different conclusions about the relative order 
of "Routine" and "non-urgent". It needs to state that the current four values 
are in the descending order "emergency, urgent, routine, and non-urgent". The 
order of the 5 new values is as defined in RFC 791 and applicable standards. 
Also, there should be no defined relation between the current set and the new 
added set. It is not expected that they would be used together, but if they 
are, it is a local issue on how to handle them.

Mike Pierce
Artel

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip