Subject: [Sip] Friendly Reminder from your List Manager

From: "Rosen, Brian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 08:40:39 -0400

I few friendly reminders from those who manage high volume IETF
lists on a volunteer basis:

1. Anything that causes bounces is usually dealt with 
right away, by forced unsubscription or setting the 
subscription to nomail.  I make an exception sometimes 
for obvious routing goofs (like all cisco.com or ericsson.com 
addresses start bouncing).  Since you are bouncing, I can't 
send you an email and tell you what I did.  When I come in 
the morning and have 25 or 50 bounce messages from one or 
two addresses, I'm not in much of a mood to be very tolerant.  
If you change email addresses, or stop being involved suddenly, 
I'd appreciate it if you would unsubscribe yourself.

2. The list is set up to ask me before forwarding an email 
longer than 40K.  I usually reject such posts.  
Usually this is caused by one of two things: a huge MIME 
section or an attachment.  The former is often a result of 
too many people replying to a thread leaving all the prior 
messages on the thread, and making it an HTML email.   
See the next point on HTML.  For the latter, put the attachment 
on an accessible website, and post an email with a URL to the page.

3. It's pretty clear that a very large percentage of list 
subscribers use email readers that handle HTML email.  
However, we have some who don't.  It is discourteous to 
send HTML formated mail to the list, and I ask that you don't.  
Most email clients will allow you to send plain unformatted 
ASCII text.  Do that.  We know that some sites are configured 
to always send HTML.  If your site is, we understand what you 
do with your client is overriden by the site, don't sweat it.  
I know I have often replied to an HTML email and forgotten to 
turn it to plain ASCII, so I won't jump on anyone for this, 
but please try to remember.

4. There is never a reason for you to send a message to both 
SIP and SIPPING, or for that matter to any two of sip, sipping 
or sip-implementors.  Pick one.  If you really know what is 
going on, the right one is obvious.  If you are unsure, 
you are almost always asking a question of those who do, 
and those most often belong on sip-implementors, so use that 
as the default choice.  When you send to multiple lists, the 
folks that respond are usually subscribed to all the lists, 
and they get multiple copies.  Annoying those who would help 
you is not a wise choice.  If you reply to such a message,
make sure you reply to the right list.  I always send
a reminder about posting to multiple lists to the offender.
I do it privately, not copying the list.  You don't have to.

This message would, of course be an exception :)

Your list-monger
Brian

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip