Subject: [Sip] Questions on the SIP privacy draft

From: Christer Holmberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 21:42:05 +0300

Hi,

I have a couple of questions/issues on the SIP privacy draft
(draft-ietf-sip-privace-02.txt)

First, chapter 6.1 says that the pri-screen parameter SHOULD NOT be
included in the initial INVITE when created by the UAC. That is very
clear for a SIP phone. But, a PSTN GW, doing ISUP-SIP mapping, COULD use
information received from ISUP to set this parameter. Since multiple
instances of the parameter may be added by proxies, they could still do
whatever verification they wish.

Second, chapter 6.1 also says:

>* From:     The UAC SHOULD supply a cryptographically random
>     identifier for the userinfo, and a non-identifying hostname, e.g.
>     "localhost", in the host name.

My question is: why does the UAC have to put a userinfo value in the
From header at all, since it's optional? I DO understand it may be
needed in the Contact header, but why in the From?

Also, if the Remote-Party-ID is used, why does the UAC have to set the
display-name to "anonymous" etc? I know it's the way it's done in bis,
but is it really needed if the Remote-Party-ID header is used?

Regards,

Christer Holmberg
Ericsson Finland

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip