Subject: [Sip] bis-05 transaction definition

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 15:00:58 -0700

The definition for a transaction was re-worded in bis-05 (lines 889-894).
I saw no mention in the changes section and don't recall this discussed, so
I'm guessing the intent was to include ACK for 2xx responses to Invite as
part of the Invite transaction, and ACK for non-2xx response as a new
transaction.  If this is the case, a "non-" in front of 2xx on line 894 is
missing, and the 2xx on line 893 needs to indicate it is an Invite 2xx
rather than a 2xx for any request.  Let me know if I am mis-interpreting the
intent of the re-wording.  Otherwise the first sentence appears to conflict
with the last sentence.

John Hearty
Level3

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 19:15:30 -0500

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2001 5:01 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [Sip] bis-05 transaction definition
> 
> 
> 

For my own personal sanity, please refer to line numbers in the PDF or PS.
Those have explicit line number markings. Line 889-894 defines transactions
in the .txt version only.

> transaction. 

No, no, no! Its the opposite. ACK for 2xx is a *different* transaction, ACK
for non-2xx is the *same* transaction. This is directly tied to the hop by
hop nature of ACK for non-2xx as compared to the end to end nature of 2xx
and its ACK.

However, you are right that a non- is missing in front of the first 2xx on
line 637. I will correct that.

This change is actually just a model change, not a behavioral one. It was
done to present SIP in a more cleanly layered way.

-Jonathan R.

---
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com