Subject: [Sip] bis-05: Terminating a session

From: "Bob Penfield" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 15:45:03 -0500

Hi,

Section 15 is a great improvement, however it might still be misinterpreted
for callee behavior, especially by folks new to SIP.

Section 15 begins:

   Terminating a session is done either with the BYE request, or the
   CANCEL request, depending on the state of the dialog. Either caller
   or callee can terminate, and may do so for any reason.

One might interpret this as allowing a callee to send CANCEL or a callee to
send BYE prior to an "established" dialog. This whole area of terminating
session has caused a lot of confusion and discussion and I think we need to
be really clear.

I suggest section 15 begin:

"Either the caller or callee may terminate a session for any reason. A
caller terminates a session either with BYE or CANCEL depending on the state
of the dialog. A callee uses BYE to terminate an established dialog."

Somewhere near line 1957, it should be noted that the callee terminates an
early dialog by sending a non-2xx final response to the INVITE.

As far as issue#202 is concerned, I think that this is the right solution.

In section 15.1.1 at line 1972, ".. creation of dialog (either early or
established)." should be "... creation of dialog (established for the
callee, early or established for the caller)".

cheers,
(-:bob

Robert F. Penfield
Chief Software Architect
Acme Packet, Inc.
130 New Boston Street
Woburn, MA 01801
[email-masked]

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip