Subject: [Sip] Question about version 5

From: "Chen, Xin (Xin)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 14:01:46 -0000

Question 1:

In 16.5 it says "The Record-Route process is designed to work for any SIP
request that initiates a dialog. The only such request in this specification
is INVITE. Extensions to the protocol MAY define others, and the mechanisms
described here will apply. The request that initiates a dialog and all
refreshes (re-INVITE for example) MUST have Record-Route header values added
to them if the proxy wishes to remain in the request path."

But in table 3, Record-Route is optional for all request which don't create
a dialog excepte INVITE.

So which one takes priority, 16.5 or table 3?

Question 2:

In 17.1.1.3, it says:"The ACK request MUST NOT contain any Route headers."

But in table 3: Route header is optional for ACK.

which one takes priority, 17.1.1.3 or table 3?

Thanks

Xin Chen

Lucent Technologies
Tel: +44 1793 883137
Mobile: +44 7799 034668

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

---

From: Vijay Gurbani <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 08:21:28 -0600

"Chen, Xin (Xin)" wrote:
> request that initiates a dialog. The only such request in this 
> specification is INVITE. Extensions to the protocol MAY define others, and 
> the mechanisms described here will apply. The request that initiates a 
> dialog and all refreshes (re-INVITE for example) MUST have Record-Route 
> header values added to them if the proxy wishes to remain in the request 
> path."
> 
> But in table 3, Record-Route is optional for all request which don't 
> create a dialog excepte INVITE.
> 

Xin:

Once a proxy has decided to R-R and a route has been established, it is 
recommended that future requests within that session contain an R-R as well. 
The reason for this is robustness if the called UAS crashes and subsequently
reboots.

This change is not new, and was actually made in -00bis.

- vijay
-- 
Vijay K. Gurbani  vkg@{lucent.com,research.bell-labs.com,acm.org}
Internet Software and eServices Group 
Lucent Technologies/Bell Labs Innovations, 2000 Lucent Lane, Rm 6G-440
Naperville, Illinois 60566     Voice: +1 630 224 0216   Fax: +1 630 713 0184